In an article about female artists, a swirling background with the faces of Nina Simone, Amy Winehouse and Lauryn Hill in the foreground.

Five Artists To Listen To During Women’s History Month

While female music artists should be appreciated year round, they deserve some extra special attention during the month of March.

It’s March, which means it is time to celebrate Women’s History Month. Though women should be celebrated on the daily, this month specifically highlights the empowerment and revelry that come with womanhood. Actively supporting women during this month is important, as is demonstrating your appreciation for them every other month of the year.

These female artists should especially be shown love during this month, along with many other women in the music industry.  Here are five prominent female artists that everyone should be listening to during Women’s History Month.

1. AMY WINEHOUSE

Late singer Amy Winehouse left behind some of the most beautiful music to ever hit the scene. Her music is known for its smooth combination of genres like jazz, soul and rhythm & blues. This seamless blend of genres, when combined with her deep, emotional voice, creates some of the most profound tracks in the music industry. These include iconic songs like “Back To Black” and Mark Ronson’s “Valerie,” a song she is featured on. These timeless tracks are her most popular, but there are a number of hidden gems in her repertoire such as “Body and Soul” featuring Tony Bennett. Though Winehouse only produced two studio albums, “Frank” and “Back To Black,” her music has maintained a lasting impact after her passing. For many years to come, people will continue to discover and rediscover her discography. Each time, they will gauge just how talented she is from her sound and vocals.

1. NINA SIMONE

Not only is Nina Simone considered to be one of the greatest American musicians, but her impact stretched beyond the music industry. In the music world, she was a pianist, a singer and a songwriter. Simone was also very well-known for her activism in the Civil Rights Movement. Often referred to as “The High Priestess Of Soul,” Simone’s music offered a range of genres that blended gospel, blues, folk, pop and classical styles. This technique ultimately produced unbelievably iconic numbers. Songs like “Four Women” were created with the intention of addressing the imposition Black women face when it comes to beauty standards. The track encapsulates the societal issues Black women face when it comes to the everchanging construct of beauty. Beyond this song, Simone’s social commentary was expressed through her music and her involvement in the Civil Rights Movement. Other songs like “The Other Woman,” which was covered by artist Lana Del Rey, and “I Got It Bad” are equally memorable.

Although Simone’s intention was to speak up on important issues, some of her songs are just fun listens. Simone’s impact on the music industry is palpable; her influence on modern artists reaches far and wide.

1. GWEN STEFANI / HER BAND ‘NO DOUBT’

Gwen Stefani has produced some of the best feel-good music of the early 2000s. If you’ve caught yourself dancing at a house party, she might be the reason why. Popularized by Stefani’s girl-pop charm, her music continues to be recognized and go viral. Singles like “Rich Girl” and “Hollaback Girl” from her solo studio album, “Love. Angel. Music. Baby” are among her most famous hits; they rose to popularity due to their vibrant beats and catchy lyrics.

Prior to her solo career, Stefani was a part of the band No Doubt, which rose to its own level of fame. The band was active from 1986-2004 and once more from 2008-2015. During that timeline, the band released a total of six albums, their most popular album being “Tragic Kingdom.” The 1995 ‘diamond certified’ album produced some of their most seminal numbers. Tracks like “Don’t Speak” and “Just A Girl” even made the Billboard 100. Die-hard fans continue to wait for the day that No Doubt returns from their hiatus. Stefani’s musical persona has a similar cultural pull, which keeps her fans wanting more.

1. BRIDGIT MENDLER

Disney Channel star Bridgit Mendler has built up a reputation as one of the world’s most underrated musicians. If you watched Disney Channel as an adolescent, you’re well-acquainted with Mendler’s acting career. Starring in beloved shows like “Good Luck Charlie” and “Wizards Of Waverly Place,” and movies like “Lemonade Mouth,” the actress brought all kinds of talent to the table. Given her range as an actor and her powerhouse vocals, it’s no surprise that her debut album was one for the history books.

In 2012 Mendler released one hell of a debut album. Her singular musical accomplishment, “Hello My Name Is …” has an edgy album cover and even better music within. With a total of 15 pop and R&B tracks, it’s hard to decide which song is her best. This golden album is definitely one to add to your next playlist.

1. LAURYN HILL

From her timeless beauty to her powerful lyricism, Lauryn Hill is one of those female artists who will always be replayed. She only released one studio album, “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill,” which has a total of 16 tracks. The keenest takeaway from this album is its word flow and rhythm. Themes of love and God, her past in The Fugees and her pregnancy are subtly integrated into the album. Her remake of “Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You” is soft on the ears and serves as a reminder of how beautiful her voice is. Songs like “Ex Factor” and “Doo Wop That Thing” are some of her more original listens. With lyrics that hold strong meaning, it’s hard to not get her music stuck in your head. Hill has also released a live album and 20 singles. Continually lauded for her meaningful words and catchy beats, it’s undeniable that Hill produced some of the greatest music of all time.

Women’s History Month is an exciting reminder that women deserve love and appreciation. For music lovers, it is a great chance to branch out and try new female artists. As the medium continues to evolve, there are plenty of female voices waiting to be discovered. For now, give these five ladies a try and stream their music.

Ally Najera, California State University, Northridge

Editor

Ally Najera

California State University, Northridge
Broadcast Journalism, Minor in Marketing

I am currently studying broadcast journalism and minoring in marketing. I read religiously and love watching films. I am very passionate about words. I live and breathe pop culture – and love to share my thoughts.