in article about tory lanez v megan thee stallion court case, illustration of lanex with his arms up behind a podium

Tory Lanez v. Megan Thee Stallion: When Will People Start Believing Victims? 

This recent court case highlights the blatant hate and misogynoir faced by Black women everywhere. 

TW: Racism, Misogyny, Mentions of Suicide, Police Brutality

Two years ago, Tory Lanez allegedly shot Megan Thee Stallion in an SUV after leaving a party at Kylie Jenner’s house in Los Angeles. The long-awaited trial commenced on Dec. 12, 2022 after being delayed for the better part of two years. Because the original incident occurred two years prior to the trial, the public had plenty of time to formulate opinions on the encounter and all it entailed.

Megan has been painted as the “villain” in the case; many have accused her of lying about getting shot despite Lanez’s history of domestic abuse and assault. People are using the encounter between Megan and Lanez as a way to pick sides when in reality, the focus should be on getting justice for someone who may have been a victim of gun violence.

Initially, Megan did not state that Lanez shot her, instead she told police that she was hurt by glass because she didn’t want the situation to escalate. Out of fear of police brutality, she lied to try to protect everyone who was involved in the shooting. Remember that the shooting occurred around the same time that Black Lives Matter protests were held nationwide following the murder of George Floyd, so everyone was on edge.

Megan stated, “I was really scared because I hadn’t been shot at before.”

Even after Lanez shot her, Megan still tried to protect the people she once thought of as friends. Her initial statement to police has been used against her by those who claim she lied about that night. Since then, Megan has stated she wished she would’ve just told the truth that night, but that her statement was necessary in the moment and she did what needed to be done.

Megan first shared the truth that Lanez shot her on an Instagram Live a month after the incident. Some people think that she shared her story because Lanez and his team were spreading lies about the situation.

Lanez has continued to stress his innocence in the situation, and has pleaded not guilty. If he is found guilty, Lanez could face around 20 years of jail time. The charges include assault with a firearm, gun possession and discharging a firearm with gross negligence. Lanez’s prosecutors also claim that the shooting only occurred because of a fight that broke out between Megan and her friend Kelsey over Lanez. The prosecution is trying to paint Megan as jealous and promiscuous in order to sway the jury.

Outside of the courtroom, critics have utilized newer images of Megan in an attempt to tarnish her reputation. In response to the prosecution’s strategy, some blogs have used these images as a way to track her dating history, while critics have used them as an excuse for the violence that she has faced.

Megan’s traumatic experience has been made into a joke, and she has been belittled while dealing with the situation and its continued aftermath. This treatment from the media and the prosecution proves that Megan experiencing misogynoir, a type of misogyny that affects Black women specifically, as they face both race and gender-based discrimination.

Megan, a Black woman, has faced backlash from the media ever since she revealed that Lanez shot her. In the courtroom, she even described that this cruel treatment caused her to have suicidal thoughts. In a heartbreaking testimony, Megan shared, “I don’t feel like I want to be on this earth. I wish he would have just shot and killed me, if I knew I would have to go through this torture.”

Megan has also experienced anxiety, safety issues and difficulty developing new relationships since the incident with Lanez. In an interview with CBS, she shared how she’s developed trust issues following the shooting and constantly puts up a wall around new people.

Along with misogynoir and the overall effects of the incident, Megan’s experience with Lanez highlights a bigger issue of violence against Black women. Accusations of Megan lying after she shared her experience fit in line with  the widespread narrative of not believing women. To show their support, Taranna Burke, the leader of the #MeToo movement, along with other Black feminists, sent a letter to Megan sharing words of wisdom with the Grammy award-winning star. Megan has also received support from a slew of other people, including Rihanna, Keke Palmer, Kali Uchis, Doja Cat and Cardi B. Though Megan has gone through a horrifying experience, it’s refreshing to see how many women stand beside her as true allies.

Unlike her supporters, her main critics are described as a “boys club” located in the male-dominated hip-hop industry. Some people who side with Lanez or have otherwise posted comments about the incident in his favor are 50 Cent, Drake, DJ Akademiks and Joe Budden, to name only a few.

As her supporters await the results of the trial, they can only hope that Megan’s voice was heard, and that she will receive justice for the incident. The results of the trial will impact not only Megan but women speaking out everywhere.

Chelsie Ross, Florida A&M University

Chelsie Ross

Otterbein University

Hello! I’m Chelsie Ross and I enjoy reading and writing. I’m in my fourth year of college and am excited to be writing for Study Breaks magazine! I also enjoy binge watching shows on Netflix.