In this article about journalism, newspaper and microphones spill out of a wastebin in a heap of black and white goo.

Breaking the News and Building Trust

Journalists are indispensable to a functioning society, despite their complicated reputation.

Poll any college student on which question they’re most frequently asked and they’ll give you the same answer: “What’s your major?” The various possibilities garner different responses. Reverent respect for medical students to cynical doubt for art students to sincere awe for engineering students. In my experience as a journalism student, I’m not typically met with any of these reactions – well, besides doubt. I’ve found that alluding to journalism stirs up a potent feeling of disgust in the person I’m speaking to. After clumsily trying to ease their objections to my future career, I’m often left wondering why the mere mention of journalism leaves a sour taste in the mouths of so many.

Journalism has evolved in so many ways since the first newspapers were established. Many people’s understanding of the ideal journalist may be antiquated as a result. Gone are the days of quaint local newspapers delivering the biggest headlines or local broadcast teams dominating the TV screen. The journalism industry is increasingly impacted by social media’s pervasiveness, which means two things. First, the immediacy of social media means that news can be delivered to the public with the simple push of a button and can capture more people’s attention faster than previous forms of journalism ever could. On the other hand, unrestricted access to social media means that anybody can present news, inviting opportunities for misinformation to spread from untrustworthy sources.

Against this backdrop of the digital age, journalists have had their reputations tarnished. Plus, it never helps when a president of the United States refers to the news as the enemy of the American people. I’ve identified two key reasons why the public has developed a growing distaste for journalists: issues of trust and ethics, and overstated political affiliations.

Trust & Ethics

Journalists are expected to deliver the news with accuracy, impartiality and transparency for audiences to trust them. So, some part of this unspoken code of ethics must be getting lost in translation if 38 percent of the American public reports that they have no confidence in the mass media to report the news in this way. A survey from the Edelman Trust Barometer found that 59 percent of people believe that reporters are “purposely trying to mislead people by saying things they know are false or gross exaggerations.”

Additionally, the threat of fake news erodes the relationship between journalists and the masses. A 2019 Pew Research Center study discovered that 50 percent of Americans view made-up news as a major problem in the country, outweighing other issues like climate change, racism and sexism. This statistic is extremely important because it illuminates the issues that are important to the general population, if not also raising serious question marks in terms of where our priorities lie as a nation.

With evidence suggesting such strong levels of distrust and skepticism toward the media, it’s no surprise that people tend to recoil at the prospect of a future journalist. However, the industry itself is dedicated to mending its impaired relationship with audiences, particularly at the local level. In a survey conducted by the Columbia Journalism Review, one respondent acknowledged the need for increased authenticity. They declared that journalists “have to be more transparent – about [their] methods, motivations, and process.”

Political Leanings

Another point of tension between people and news media is the over-the-top politicized content. Especially heightened during the past few presidential elections, clear partisan bias is a deterrent to watching the news or reading an article. The majority of Americans realize that the two most blameworthy participants in this offense are CNN, affiliated with the Democratic party, and Fox News, affiliated with the Republican party. Each source is unwavering in its loyalty and their reported stories reflect this rigidity. For example, 46 percent of Americans see “a great deal” of political bias in news coverage. In this way, many people view journalists as the invisible force driving a wedge between the political parties, the instigators making it insurmountably harder for people to harmoniously coexist and engage in respectful debates.

What this valid, but incomplete, perspective fails to realize is that the majority of news outlets are not as overtly partisan as CNN or Fox News. The biggest names in cable news can afford to voice such strong opinions, but local journalists operate under a different set of standards. A 2019 Gallup survey reported that 53 percent of Americans believe that local news media are “just about right” in terms of political ideology, leaning neither too far left nor too far right. So, while it is true that some journalists publicly identify with political parties, they do so with the knowledge that their audience understands that position and is probably tuning in because of it. If (and when) the onslaught of propaganda-esque news headlines becomes unbearable, trusted news sources like The Associated Press and Reuters are always there to sort through the white noise and present information objectively.

The Good News

It’s a bit daunting to enter an industry that is seemingly perpetually under fire, and I won’t pretend that the overwhelmingly negative feedback doesn’t resonate with me. However, understanding the criticisms of an industry can unlock a deeper level of insight that enhances one’s performance in it. Hearing the public outcry for more transparency in the media is a constant reminder for journalists to thoroughly explain their sources and methods of obtaining information. Every time a journalist notices the audience’s frustration with politically charged content, a little voice inside their head should be stressing the importance of objectivity in their delivery of a story.

This awareness is crucial to producing skilled journalists, and, in turn, skilled journalists are crucial to a functioning democracy. It is hardly an exaggeration to claim that journalists, acting as a de facto fourth branch of government, hold the other three accountable. If the news didn’t communicate information to the masses, the average person would be blind to the injustices happening around them. For this reason, journalism is referred to as a watchdog that provides citizens with the knowledge they need to make educated decisions at the polls. Evidence suggests that a strong local journalistic presence encourages voting, counters polarization and even fosters a sense of community.

Despite the profound impact they have on the well-being of a nation, journalists will never be regarded with the same admiration or respect as doctors, nurses or teachers – and that’s okay. But they’re also not the scheming liars or political caricatures that many demonize them as. There will always be exceptions, but most journalists aren’t trying to carelessly spread misinformation or secretly indoctrinate their audiences. They’re just trying to make their deadlines.