For an article about local music, an illustration of a band performing in all silhouettes in front of a blue background.

The Importance of Supporting the Local Music Scene

In a time where many popular artists' concerts are selling out, people may look to nearby bands for the ideal concertgoing experience.

It feels like every time a prominent artist announces their latest tour, fans collectively sigh as they prepare to brave the perils of Ticketmaster and fight for the chance to get tickets. From Harry Styles to Beyoncé and beyond, getting tickets for shows, let alone affordable ones seems nearly impossible. Even the U.S. Senate has taken notice, as they recently held a hearing about the possibility of Ticketmaster being a monopoly in response to the poor handling of the sale of Taylor Swift’s latest tour tickets. With many losing hope, concertgoers fear that they may never get to experience live music again. However, this is not the case. If people take the time to look for it, there is plenty of local music to be found and appreciated across the country.

Every major city, and many of the smaller ones, has thriving live music circuits. Each place has its very own style and vibe that has been cultivated through the years. New Orleans is known for its jazz, Nashville is known for its country and Detroit is known for its blues. Even outside of these major cities, there are pockets of live music gold spanning all genres. Because of this, concertgoers can find great live music wherever they go.

The bands playing these local shows need the support of fans to be able to produce new music, travel and pay for their careers. Attending these shows also helps bands to get a feel for how people feel about their music, as nothing is more telling than a group of strangers sitting right in front of you. The local bar becomes every band’s livelihood. Even if they still have their day job, playing their shows often fills their souls with the kind of life they crave.

On top of supporting local musicians, attendees of these events support local businesses. Various bars, clubs and other kinds of venues need the revenue they earn from hosting events on their property. Depending on the menu at these venues, these events may also help support local farms and breweries. Local publications gain support, as they typically cover events like these, and local artists gain recognition as they are often commissioned to make posters or advertisements for these events.

Local music is also an amazing experience for the concertgoers themselves. It is such a personal experience. Getting to see bands in tiny venues is something every concert lover dreams about. Even if you get stuck in the very back of the room, you are closer than you would be at a typical arena or theater show. The energy is more intense, and the vibe is more intimate. You can feel the band’s every emotion and vice versa. They feed off the crowd’s energy, and if they can get the crowd really going, it can make for a concert experience unlike any other.

Events like this give people the chance to meet new people and feel like part of the community. Even for people who aren’t the best at socializing, going to a local concert gives them the chance to broaden their horizons, as they already have the built-in conversation starter of the local band itself. Those who don’t feel like talking can just use these events to get out and be a piece of something bigger than themselves.

Another plus is that these concerts are extremely cheap. Because these bands and venues just need to get bodies in the door, they often make the entrance fee as inexpensive as possible. In doing so, they allow those who can’t afford to go to big concerts the opportunity to see live music. As a result, these kinds of shows are far more accessible, making it much easier for the average person to justify seeing live music.

These shows also provide one of the greatest joys of being a music lover: discovering new musicians to listen to. Expanding one’s musical palette is a favorite pastime of nearly every concert person. They crave the excitement of getting to listen to a new band for the first time, and what better way to experience new music than live and in person? Local shows do just that. There are so many talented musicians beyond the pop charts. Many times, these local bands are even better than their more famous counterparts, they just don’t have the money to make it.

From being discovered at a bar to growing a fan base over time, the local music scene is where many artists get their start. These bands use local bars and venues to create a following and get their names out there. Without the support of local fans, many bands would never be where they are today. The bands that haven’t made it big especially need a local following, as they are just trying to make an honest man’s living doing what they love. They need the fans just as much as the fans need them.

Olivia Madrid, Florida State University

Olivia Madrid

Florida State University
English: Editing, Writing and Media