An array of Starbucks drinks

6 Must-Try Starbucks Drinks for College Students

Want to try something new? Here are a couple of college and university student favorites that will be sure to pique your interest.

Young adults ages 18-24 contribute to 40% of Starbucks’ revenue every year and a lot of that has to do with the company’s presence on college campuses.

Campus Starbucks quickly become hotspots for students, and oftentimes, they create a desire to try new drinks. So, to satisfy that urge, here are some college student must-try Starbucks drinks broken down into three categories: Refreshing Drinks, Comfort Drinks and Energy Boosters.

Refreshing Recommendations 

Starbucks drinks are broken down into different types because they are bought for different reasons. Refreshing beverages are purchased when a customer is looking for something that will quench their thirst and help cool down their body. Having one of these drinks feels like being dunked in a dunk tank.

1. Strawberry Acai Refresher With Lemonade

This Starbucks refresher is a lemonade-based drink that has strawberry, passion fruit and acai flavors mixed in and is served over ice with freeze-dried strawberries added in as well.

Sacred Heart University student Allison Marx describes it as “light and sweet,” and suggests others try it “because it cools you down and is refreshing.”

1. Iced Chai Tea Latte With Oat Milk

This Starbucks iced latte has a black tea base that is infused with many different spices, including cinnamon and clove, mixed with oat milk and then served over ice.

“It’s my favorite because it tastes really good and also doesn’t have a lot of caffeine,” says University at Buffalo student Katie Daugherty.

Comfort Choices

Comfort drinks are those that seem to fill your body with love and warmth. These drinks are equivalent to snuggling up under your favorite blanket and reading a nice novel.

1. Cinnamon Dolce Crème

The base for this cuddly comfort drink is steamed milk that is infused with a cinnamon-dolce syrup and topped with both whipped cream and a cinnamon dolce topping.

“It’s like a hug,” says Davidson College student Alyssa Natoli. “It’s my favorite because I don’t like coffee and it’s something to warm you up in the fall when it starts to get cooler.”

1. Iced Mocha/ Iced White Mocha

These drinks are espresso-based beverages that are combined with either a bittersweet mocha sauce or a white chocolate sauce, depending on which you order, as well as milk and ice, and then topped with whipped cream.

Pace University student Isabella Recine says, “It’s my favorite because it tastes like chocolate, so if you like chocolate and also caffeine, this is the perfect drink for you.”

Energy Boosting Options

These Starbucks caffeinated beverages are drinks that are often used as a wake-up call or a pick-me-up throughout the day or night. These beverages are almost like an electric shock that runs through your body and gives you newfound jolts of energy.

1. Iced Blonde Quad Espresso With Oat Milk

This drink is meant for those customers who really need to wake up as it takes four shots of blonde espresso and shakes it up with classic syrup and ice before adding a splash of oat milk as the finish.

According to Brooklyn College student Chloe Fischer, “It’s super caffeinated and good for people who really like the taste of coffee.”

1. Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew With a Pump of White Mocha

This energy booster is an iced beverage that blends the cold brew coffee with two pumps of vanilla syrup and one pump of white mocha and then tops it off with a vanilla sweet cream.

“This drink keeps me energized for the day and tastes like a milkshake,” says SUNY Oneonta student Gina Krumholz. “I think this is a good drink for others to try because the flavors go together perfectly.”

Although these are some great options, there are also other college students, like Wagner College student Justino Tesoro, who believe that simple and basic is always the best option.

“My favorite drink is a grande hot coffee with half and half and sugar,” says Justino. “Nothing gives me a better fix than a plain old cup of Joe with half and half and sugar.”

So, whether you like refreshing, comforting, energy boosting or just plain and simple drinks, next time you are going to Starbucks and don’t quite know what you want to order, take a look at this list and try something new — maybe you’ll find your newest go-to drink.

Emily Sweeney, Quinnipiac University

Emily Sweeney

Quinnipiac University

Emily is a 3+1 Journalism Student at Quinnipiac University with minors in sports studies, theater studies, and media studies. She is chairwoman of the Quinnipiac Bobcat Sports Network and president of the Quinnipiac Association for Women in Sports Media.