An illustration of a meal kit sitting in front of rows of vegetables at the grocery store.

Meal Kits Change the Game

These perfectly portioned dishes are life-savers for a student on the go.

Recent inflation has grocery stores prices — both for produce and packaged goods — skyrocketing, making shopping for basic needs that much more expensive. For those shopping on strict budgets, meal kits could be the perfect solution. Meal kits offer a variety of benefits that just about anyone can enjoy. By planning in advance, everyone can experience the wonders of a happier wallet, time-saving step-by-step guides and a perfectly portioned plate. In today’s economy, these kits can be a game changer for those struggling to stay afloat. They offer a healthy and cheap option for anyone seeking to make a lasting change in their life.

Pros:

1. Save Money: Many shoppers have noticed a sudden jump in price; their previously cheap shopping list now takes a chunk out of their wallets. Most college students are just learning to fend for themselves and will have to keep a close eye on special offers and cheaper alternatives when shopping. It can be quite stressful to leave the store with only a handful of items and a hundred dollars down the drain, but meal kits can change this. By purchasing meal kits, students can put their savings away for an emergency fund or spend them on different necessities, like gas. Home Chef offers a variety of plans that can easily satisfy the wants and needs of its consumers, and offers a large menu to choose from. A single meal kit costs ten dollars, but this includes all the ingredients required to serve two or more people, making this an absolute bargain.   
  2. Save Time: When selecting a set of meals to cook for the week, each kit indicates how long the meal will take to prepare and cook. For those wishing to save time rather than spend over an hour on a single meal, specific kits can easily cater to this desire. For those who select a faster meal, most of the ingredients are pre-sliced, chopped or seasoned so the customer can toss them together and start cooking. This allows people to enjoy their free time more as they no longer have to stress over buying the ingredients and preparing a meal for themselves or others. These kits also come with a step-by-step guide for how to prepare the meal: how to cut the meat, the seasonings, proper measurements and so on. Not only are these kits a time-saver, but they are an easy way to learn to cook as well. A double win! 
  3. Healthy Plate: The ingredients used are relatively fresh (keep in mind these products are shipped in boxes wrapped in ice packs) and are evenly portioned. Many people worry about their weight and what they eat, and they need better produce and supplies to ensure a healthy diet. Yet grocery stores charge far more for organic foods than for their leading competitor, leaving the healthy food weight-loss journey open only to those with extra money to spare. Meal kits ensure that the food delivered is not only cheap and locally-grown, but perfectly portioned for a healthy diet. Once a meal is cooked and ready to be served, there’s no such thing as overeating. It’s a great alternative for those who want to watch their weight while enjoying tasty and filling meals.

Cons:

1. Expensive Kits: The company you choose can determine just how expensive a kit is overall. Most meal kit companies offer special yearly sales to attract more customers by catering to their budgets. Yet there are still many meal kits that are a tad steeper in price. There’s also the shipping fee that the majority of consumers must pay on top of the actual price of the kit. It becomes quite important to figure out which kit best fits your needs while also considering just how far you’ll go for a gourmet meal. Most meal kits, for those looking to start, usually offer a massive discount in the beginning but, keep in mind, that discount does not last forever. The most expensive meal kits can cost from 11-15 dollars per plate. These kits are designed by professional chefs and use only the best quality produce, but with a little extra searching, you can find cheaper options that do as well.   
  2. Limited Meal Options: Meal kits aren’t always catered toward people who can only eat specific kinds of food due to allergies or other health issues. As many are aware, vegan or gluten-free products are more expensive than regular products, which can become quite a struggle for anyone with dietary restrictions. After all, it can become rather challenging to find boxes that ensure gluten-free or vegan products in every kit. This website lists the pros and cons of specific meal kits, including whether they cater to those with specific dietary requirements.

It’s important to do your own research when looking at meal kits because no two companies are the same. Even after a single week of use, these kits can prove to be game changers for anyone worried about money, time or living a healthy lifestyle. Inflation has hit grocery shopping especially hard, which makes meal kits a perfect way to ease your financial burdens. If you’re still unsure if meal kits will really fit your personal lifestyle, companies offer special discounts on your first order. But after the first box and the first delicious meal, you’ll only be hungry for more.

Kirsten Kalebich, Arizona State University

Kirsten Kalebich

Arizona State University
Major in English, Minor in Business

A dreamer who wants to become an author or editor. In her spare time, she writes countless stories on her phone and reads an insane amount of fiction.