communication majors
(Image via Reader's Digest)

Why Communication Majors Are Winning In Business Spheres

Communications and communications-related majors are winning in every occupational sphere and here’s why.

Out of all the subjects you could major in, being a part of the communication majors community is, without a doubt, the best bunch to belong to. Not only are they skilled in many subjects, but because of their massive skillset, they are sought after by employers everywhere. Here are a few reasons why communication majors are winning at virtually everything.

Communication Majors Have Great Communication Skills

Naturally, communications majors develop excellent communications skills through numerous platforms. Whether it be media communications, public relations, advertising or electronic media, communications — or “comms” majors — will know how to navigate them.

More specifically, students within this field of study take courses that help them to establish skills such as interpersonal communication, intercultural communication and organizational communication. These skillsets allow communications majors to flourish in nearly every space, whether it be occupational or relational.

Employers Love Them

Employers around the nation have said that the number one issue they have with recent college graduates is that they lack communications skills. Nine times out of 10, when a student graduates and enters corporate America, they’ll have to do some sort of presentation.

On a more minute scale, it’s almost guaranteed that a student will have to send a very important email or report to their boss. These things make a difference and play an integral role in day-to-day activities. Employers want someone who can communicate clearly, effectively and concisely, and communications majors can do all three.

communication majors
(Image via Top Resume)

They Are Highly Effective Generalists

Communications majors, by default, end up developing a plethora of career-related skills. Through taking a number of communications courses, they also end up being highly effective generalists, meaning they are able to be successful in multiple capacities. And with the value of specialists increasing, so will the value of generalists.

Though this can be tiring and they could potentially end up being the go-to person for nearly everything, the likelihood of them being promoted is relatively high. In fact, most corporate leaders tend to be generalists. After all, CEOs do have to oversee nearly every aspect of a business.

They’re Trainable

These diversified skills make communications majors marketable to employers, as well as extremely trainable, because the solid foundation that their major has established makes on-the-job education an easy process.

For instance, the potential for communications majors to be marketers is high; all they have to do is learn the industry that they’re working in. Every field and occupation needs a communications director, public relations manager or advertiser. As long as you possess the necessary skills to get the job done, business owners, for example, those with an LLC in Texas, will be more than happy to train you and keep you up to date on the latest business practices.

Handpicked Course Load

One of the best things about being a communications major is the abundance of courses at your disposal. Communications colleges at most universities strive to ensure that their students graduate with a flexible skillset, and the variety of classes they provide reflects that aspiration.

Communications is a broad field of study that offers a lot of different specializations, including global, mass and electronic communications. Oftentimes, students from one specialization have the liberty to take courses in others, granting undergrads a customizable academic experience, something a lot of students want.

communication majors
(Image via Brian Smith Boston)

They Build Portfolios

Employers want to see that students have something to show for their education beyond their communication skills. So, if you’re a communications major seeking employment in a communications-related occupation, a portfolio is a must. Portfolio work is one of the best ways that communications majors can exhibit their work, an advantage that they have over business management, marketing and finance majors.

Though their portfolios may differ, every communications major will have a tangible product to show employers at the end of each semester. Public relations majors, for instance, present their work would be presented in the form of a press release; advertising majors develop marketing campaigns, mock ads and magazine covers; and electronic media majors compile a portfolio filled with videos, pictures, etc.

The Market Is Oversaturated with Business Majors

Business is one of the most popular majors amongst college students in America: It’s safe, it’s secure and at one point, it guaranteed a nice post-graduation salary. It’s also the major that everyone’s parents want them to have.

However, communications majors are quickly taking the spots of business graduates. Employers are seeing the increased value of these students and giving them priority consideration in jobs, even ones that aren’t directly related to their field of study.

communication majors
(Image via Small Business Forum)

They Have Options

Because communications is such a broad major, students with this major have a large pool of occupational opportunities to take advantage of. Communications majors are eligible for advertising jobs, public relations students can take advantage of marketing opportunities, and advertising students can even work in graphic design.

The tailor-made degree plans and integrated approach that many of these professors have in their curricula allow for these transfers of skills. This is one of the primary reasons that students seek out majors under communications. With the unpredictability of the future, communications degrees help students to explore a variety of disciplines and positions.

Potential To Be Specialists

Although the diversification of courses and variety of disciplines that communications majors are allowed to explore have the potential to make them highly-effective generalists, students who wish to focus on one sector of communications have the ability to do that as well.

For instance, if a mass communications student wants to pursue a career as a White House communications director, they can explore classes in political communication, social movements, persuasion and more. Moreover, the assignments within these majors grant flexibility in terms of what a student can explore in various assignments. If you wish to land a specific job, consider writing your essays as if you already are.

Great Professors, Even Greater Peers

On a lighter note, communications majors are amongst the happiest on their campus. The reason for this is that they’re surrounded by professors and fellow students who also love what they study. Communications is a fun field and that energy is prevalent throughout various communications colleges.

Professors who have students who genuinely want to learn and are excited about their potential within communications, are more likely to reciprocate that. Likewise, students who feel that they’re being invested in are far more engaged and leave their universities very satisfied. Not only with their degree itself, but with their college experience and faith in the value of their degree.

Julian Randall, Texas Tech University

Julian Randall

Texas Tech University
Advertising