College Basketball shot

College Park Mayhem

The Maryland Terrapins met the Purdue Boilermakers in a thrilling matchup where the Terps won, led by Jahmir Young and Julian Reese.

On Feb. 16, at the thundering Xfinity Center, the Maryland Men’s College Basketball team secured a 68-54 victory over No. 3 Purdue, thanks to a tremendous second-half run. This win was especially sweet for the Terps, who sought revenge after a crushing defeat of 58-55 on Jan. 22. The Xfinity Center was packed to capacity, and once the game ended, thousands of fans rushed onto the court in celebration.

The Boilermakers, who have an impressive record of a 23-4 and a 12-4 record in the Big Ten, arrived at College Park on Thursday looking to break a recent losing streak, which included two of their previous three away games. Unfortunately for Purdue coach Matt Painter and his team, their efforts were not enough, and they left with the genuine threat of another decline in the standings, after holding the spot as the number-one team in the country for quite some time.

In a post-game interview, Kevin Willard, the fan-favorite head basketball coach of the Terrapins, who has exceeded everyone’s expectations and brought the “swagger” back to the program, spoke candidly about his team’s victory over Purdue. Willard described watching film of past games early Thursday morning with assistant coach Grant Billmeie, where he confidently declared, “There’s no doubt we’re gonna win this game. I had no doubt. You know, these kids have worked extremely hard. When we have played bad, they’ve had a great attitude. They’ve worked hard.” This statement exemplifies Willard’s commitment to his players and the positive impact he has in the locker room.

Following the win over Purdue, Willard also expressed his admiration for the Terrapins’ fans, who he believes are the best in the Big Ten. Willard commented, “The building last night was electric. You get 8,000 students in the game who are into it, you can get 17,900 on a nightly basis. I think this is why this program…and coach [Gary] Williams talked to me about it this summer, it’s why I think this program is one of the best programs in the country because it has such a passionate fanbase.”

Maryland faced a challenging first half against Purdue, with a score of 28-25 in favor of Purdue at halftime. The Terps fell even further behind, with a score of 37-29 with 16:21 remaining in the second half. However, the team made an improbable comeback, outscoring Purdue 29-4 and securing a 68-54 win. This ended up being the heaviest defeat suffered by Purdue in their conference games this year.

Maryland’s domination on the boards during the game was evident from their 35-23 rebounding edge over Purdue, the greatest margin by any team against the Boilermakers this season. Maryland also won the battle in the second half, out-rebounding the Boilermakers 18-7.

Jahmir Young, the leader of the Terps, led all scorers in the game with an impressive 20 points, including a perfect 7-7 from the free throw line. Senior guard Hakim Hart showed his value to the team, finishing with 13 points, including an efficient 2-4 from three-point range. Additionally, Patrick Emilien had a significant impact on the game, scoring 9 points without a single miss. He shot 3-3 from the field, including a crucial three-pointer, and made both of his free throw attempts. Emilien’s thrilling slam dunk put the Terps up 43-40, starting an impressive 18-3 run that got the Xfinity Center rocking.

Meanwhile, Purdue’s standout player, Zach Edey, put up an impressive 18 points and grabbed eight rebounds, a solid game for most players at the Division I level. However, Julian Reese’s outstanding defensive performance limited Edey to scoring four fewer points and grabbing nearly five fewer rebounds than his season average. Despite this, Edey is still considered a frontrunner for the highly coveted National Player of the Year award. Notably, the 7-foot-4-inch center had never played more than 27 minutes in either of his first two seasons, but he has been averaging at least 31 minutes per game this season, including a grueling 43-minute performance in an overtime game against Nebraska earlier in the year.

Freshman guard Braden Smith was another key contributor to the Boilermakers, scoring 18 points on an efficient 8-12 from the field. Smith also had a notable block and led his team with two steals. However, Edey and Smith did not receive enough help from their supporting cast, which could be attributed to the intense defense played by the Terps.

The win against Purdue was undoubtedly a momentous occasion for the Maryland Terrapins. The team had faced a tough challenge, being down at halftime and falling further behind early in the second half. However, their determination and perseverance allowed them to make an incredible comeback and secure a victory against one of the best teams in the country. The win was a testament to the team’s hard work, resilience and ability to execute their game plan despite the odds being stacked against them. It was also a moment of great pride for the team’s fans and supporters who had stuck by them through thick and thin. The celebration that followed the game was a joyous occasion, with the team and their fans coming together to savor a historic victory. Maryland’s win over Purdue is sure to go down in history as one of the most memorable moments in the team’s basketball program.

It will be interesting to see how the Terrapins will perform in their upcoming games, especially against tough opponents like Penn State and Ohio State. The team’s recent victory against Purdue, a top-five team, will undoubtedly boost their confidence and provide them with the necessary motivation to continue playing at their best. Additionally, with the Big Ten and March Madness tournament just around the corner, the Terps will need to be at the top of their game to make a deep run in the playoffs. With the support of their passionate fans, there is no doubt that the Maryland basketball team will put up a fight and leave everything on the court.

Joshua Shweiki, University of Maryland, College Park

Joshua Shweiki

University of Maryland, College Park
Government and Politics