the spanish coast

The Most Famous Spanish Models of Today

These fashion icons became famous in their home country and worldwide.

In the 80s and 90s, many Spanish models managed to cross all borders, conquer the catwalks, and gain worldwide recognition.

Nieves Alvarez, Helena Barquilla, Laura Ponte, Vanesa Lorenzo, and Judith Mascó managed to advance in their careers, leaving behind Spanish fashion to reach the luxurious catwalks of Paris and participate in exclusive fashion campaigns in New York.

Today, many foreign models just starting in the fashion world decide to travel to Spain to begin their careers. Women from all over the world attempt to become part of the most recognized catwalks. Even if they do not know how to speak Spanish, many of them decide to travel to Spain and learn Spanish during their stay in a school that teaches the language; if you want to know more about these schools, click here.

Today, thanks to the advent of social media, getting discovered by the fashion elite is a little easier than it was in the past decades. Making a photographic portfolio and publishing it is more within reach than ever. Aspiring models have all the tools they need to get noticed; it just takes perseverance.

Spain seems to be the gateway to Paris and the world of international fashion. Several Spanish models have achieved international recognition and are part of the top catwalks in the world of fashion. 

Thus, many decide to train in a modern city like Madrid or Barcelona. No matter where they come from, it’s important for them to grow as models and gain experience to take the next step. The language does not impede them either since they can learn by taking a Spanish class in Barcelona; in fact, most international models speak more than one language in order to communicate when traveling abroad.

the inside of a lecture hall

These Spanish models inspire today’s generation and remain fashion icons today. 

Blanca Padilla

Blanca Padilla’s story seems like a movie script; she was riding the subway in the middle of the city of Madrid when she was asked if she would like to be a model. Was it pure chance, or was she at the right place at the right time? We will never know. The young model debuted at the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Madrid, and since then, her career has skyrocketed.

From that moment on, she traveled to the most influential fashion capitals, where she walked for Valentino and served as the face for several Dolce & Gabbana campaigns.

In 2014, Padilla gained further recognition when she was invited to participate in the Victoria’s Secret fashion show. In the 2017 show, she wore the coveted VS Angel wings, becoming the first Spanish model to so so. The wings are only assigned to the most recognized and prominent models, so from that moment on, Padilla became an international Top Model.

Ana Arto

The winner of the LÓreal award for “Model of the Year” has built a recognizable career in the fashion world. Ana Arto is a unique beauty with outstanding features and curly hair; it’s not surprising that she has been summoned to participate in the Cibeles catwalk in Madrid and New York fashion week for influential designers like Tom Ford and Saint Laurent.

Africa Peñalver

The model from Valencia is one of Generation Z’s most important models. She has modeled for Chanel, Christian Dior and Giambattista Valli during the penultimate edition of the haute couture week in Paris. In just a year, the model has managed to cross her country’s borders and draw the attention of outstanding representatives of haute couture and prominent luxury firms.

Nuria Rothschild

A fashion photographer introduced Nuria to the modeling world. From then on, Rothschild moved to London to take her first steps in the industry. In 2016 the model was summoned by essential firms such as Victoria Beckham.

Marina Perez

The model from Madrid is well-known for being the face of Zara during last season. However, she is not only recognized nationally, but has also gained fame internationally.

After winning various “Best Model” awards she managed to catapult her career until she reached Fashion Week in New York, as well as catwalks worldwide.

Pérez has also been part of major campaigns such as those of Armani, Marc Jacobs and Moschino, which allowed her to work with the most prestigious photographers in the fashion world.

Lucia Lopez

With perfect measurements, Lopez seems destined become a Victoria’s Secret angel; however, she has yet to reach this milestone.

In any case, with a short career, Lucía Lopez has joined the world of international fashion after working with several of the most influential designers, such as Stella McCartney, Saint Laurent in Paris and Roberto Cavalli in Milan.