Ten Different Types of Slot Machines

There are many different types of games out there, digital and mechanical. Nevertheless, there's something for everyone.

The advent of mobile gaming, particularly in the gambling genre, has resulted in the quick expansion of many different slot operators.

Multiple Pay-line Slots

Most slot machines have a single pay line where symbols must align to win, either on 3, 5, or 7 rolls. Multiple pay-line slots, as the name implies, provide more action and excitement as more extensive deposits are needed to play each line.

Wild Play Slots

Wild slots, which can double, triple, quadruple, or even quintuple any conceivable winnings and thus present players with a way to win big when they do win, have quickly become one of the most popular types of slots available to mobile gamers. Many also include bonus rounds or multipliers to enhance the experience, giving players even more chances to win. Most have a pay-out table to take the guesswork out of calculating how much you might win on any given spin.

Themed Slot Machines

While not a form of slot machine in and of itself, these slots can be any of the above with an added theme — this might be Christmas slots to get people in the holiday spirit, a prominent character or period, or any number of different themes.

Video Slot Machines

Video slot machines appeared with the introduction of mobile gaming; these slots refer to the transition from physical machines to the currently popular digital or video machines many play on. They are particularly popular among Finnish gamblers, who call them kolikkopeli.

Single-Coin Slots

As the name implies, these are the most basic types of slots you’d expect to see – while they are not as popular as they once were due to the shift to digital alternatives, mobile versions are still accessible; one credit betting substitutes the single coin slot.

Multiplier Slots

These are an extension of the primary single coin slot, allowing players to deposit additional coins or credits for a chance to win at a higher pay-out ratio — they push players to take larger bets. Nevertheless, these mechanics frequently do not vary regardless of wager quantity.

Multi-Game Slots

These slots, as the name implies, allow gamers to play many games simultaneously, whether spinning the reels, playing blackjack, or participating in any other casino games.

slot advert

Photo by Aarón González on Unsplash

Big Bertha Slots

As the name implies, these are giant slot machines with numerous play options. However, with the advent of virtual slot machines, these are no longer available outside of traditional casinos and other brick-and-mortar establishments.

Progressive Slots

The physical form of these slots allows players to contribute to a larger pot until one player is fortunate enough to receive the jackpot — these have also become available on mobile devices as all users on a site can contribute to a shared pot for one type of game until one user hits the jackpot and wins big. While it’s a different experience from the physical machine, it’s certainly just as fun for many.

Reel Slot Machines

These are the typical slot machines you’d imagine — older versions would rely on the pull lever to spin the reels — but newer physical machines will instead rely on electronic mechanics. Launching these slots on a mobile device means they spin from the push of a button.