netflix original
Netflix's newest line of original series, shows, and movies bring something for each member of the family to enjoy. (Image via Vox)

Here Are the 7 Best Netflix Originals Dropping in August

If you're unusually excited about this month's original content, you're in good company.

As an avid binge-watcher, I’m always hungry for the next new TV show or movie that pops up on the recently added section of the Netflix world. No matter the genre, all the streaming platforms on the internet have made sure to leave no stone unturned.

In August alone, the popular streaming service is pumping out 47 originals. Ranging from mini TV series to feature-length films and covering almost every genre imaginable, Netflix has proven its versatility in creating all different kinds of well-produced content. It’s one thing to put out almost 50 new ideas on the internet, but another for all of them to have binge-worthy content.

Here are the seven best Netflix originals that will be dropping in August.

1. Like Father (Aug. 3)

In this lovable romcom, the main character is left at the altar and goes on her honeymoon cruise with her father, who she hasn’t seen since she was 5 years old. This daddy-daughter duo both have very strong personalities and their workaholic tendencies tend to clash at the beginning of the film. However, over the course of the cruise, these characters come to terms with their love for each other and the hard values of life.

Featuring Kristen Bell, Kelsey Grammer and Seth Rogen, “Like Father” is sure to be a hit. The trailer balances the growing relationship between Bell and Grammer’s characters in addition to the comedic plays tied together throughout the film.

2. I Am A Killer (Aug. 3)

A+E Networks banded together with Netflix to produce an intriguing picture into the stories of death row inmates across the U.S. The Crime and Investigation channel has already shown a couple of the episodes, but the entire series will be released on Netflix at once, so you don’t have to wait a week for the next one to be released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXV5runQ15s

Each hour-long episode tells a different story about a death row inmate convicted of murder. The inmates are interviewed about their motivations and how their mindset has changed since being sentenced to the death penalty. The mini docuseries makes sure to cover as many angles of the event that led to the inmate’s sentence that ultimately question viewers’ opinions on whether or not they should sympathize with the murderer.

3. Insatiable (Aug. 10)

Exploding into a world of controversy, this high school dramedy is a Netflix original series to look into because of all the media attention that it has gotten. Debby Ryan plays Patty, an overweight teenager that drops to half her size over one summer and becomes “hot” to the rest of her peers. Before her transformation, Patty was bullied by everyone in school. Now, all she wants is revenge.

The internet has seemed to “bully” the series as well because of its fat-shaming message. However, Netflix and multiple cast members have defended the series, saying that the message is not about fat shaming, but about the consequences of doing so while speaking about the uncomfortable topic in a satirical way.

4.To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before (Aug. 17)

As an adaptation of a New York Times bestseller, “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” has been one of the most talked about Netflix films to be released in August. Lara Jean Covey, played by Lana Condor, is a high school teenager who has written five letters about each crush that she’s had. Nobody knows about the letters — or so she thinks. Covey’s world comes crashing down when these letters are secretly given out to the five boys. Her journey in finding love and telling the truth behind the letters is revealed in the film.

Unlike “Insatiable,” this, coming-of-age film has gotten more praise than criticism. Condor is one of few Asian Americans that has a leading role in a movie and applauded Netflix for casting her in the film to create more Asian American representation in the entertainment industry.

5. Disenchantment (Aug. 17)

The creators of “The Simpsons” have joined forces with Netflix to produce the comedic cartoon series, “Disenchantment.” Abbi Jacobson is the voice of Princess Bean, who leaves her own wedding and sets off on an adventure with Elfo, voiced by Nat Faxon, and Luci, voiced by Eric André to discover her new identity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp_RnJcb8Ig

Just from the trailer, this adult comedy is sure to make anybody laugh with its cartoons and style of jokes similar to “The Simpsons” and “Futurama.”

6. Ghoul (Aug. 24)

If you love horror and thriller, this new Hindi miniseries is sure to give you goosebumps at night.

“Ghoul” centers around a new military interrogator that comes to an advanced interrogation centre with the sole purpose of getting a confession out of one of the prisons held captive. Instead, the main character is sent into a whirlwind of mystery when more than just people are found to be hidden inside the building.

Working in conjunction with the creators of “Get Out” and “Insidious,” Netflix is diving deep into international waters with this Hindi horror series. From the trailer, “Ghoul” looks like multiple horror movies that have turned into a series that you won’t be able to turn away from. This jump-scare TV show will make you hide under the covers but leave one eye open for the entire time.

7. Ozark: Season 2 (Aug. 31)

For those who have not seen “Ozark” yet, watch the first season now before the second season drops at the end of the month. This dark thriller depicts a seemingly normal family that’s trying to get by in life, but holds a chilling secret beneath its walls — literally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=0vHziRrCYqA

Jason Bateman plays a seemingly normal  financial advisor named Martin Byrde, who actually launders money for a drug cartel. Due to a shaky dealing, Byrde and his family relocate to the Missouri Ozarks where Byrde continues his laundering scheme while under high pressure from the cartel to produce results.

Judging from the Season 2 trailer, “Ozark” is about to get a whole lot darker.

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba, Rutgers University

Alexandra Fabugais-Inaba

Rutgers University
Journalism and Exercise Science