In an article about the movie 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', an illustration of the three main characters in a red convertible with the title written in the corner.

Four Lessons From ‘Ferris Bueller’s Day Off’

John Hughes’ classic 80s teen film is filled with invaluable lessons.

John Hughes’ ‘80s teen-comedy flick “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” is getting its own spinoff, 36 years later! Deadline recently announced that Paramount Pictures, along with Jon Hurwitz and Hayden Schlossberg, the creators of “Cobra Kai,” will revamp the iconic hit in a film titled “Sam and Victor’s Day Off.” The story will follow Sam and Victor, the two previously unnamed parking valets who took the famous red Ferrari for a spin while Ferris (played by Matthew Broderick) and his high school sweetheart, Sloane (played by Mia Sara), and best buddy, Cameron (played by Alan Ruck), were off playing hooky in the city of Chicago.

Unfortunately, fans won’t get to see the beloved trio and the original parking valets, Richard Edson and the late Larry “Flash” Jenkins; moreover, the two lead actors who will play the titular characters have yet to be cast. However, the spinoff has the potential to stay true to the youthful, carefree spirit that the classic Ferris Bueller film effortlessly embodies.

If you’re not familiar with “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” the film follows three teenagers who go on the adventure of a lifetime just ahead of high school graduation. Ferris Bueller, a charismatic teen hero, takes his friends out on his epic day off just so he can help them out with their problems. He’s the kind of friend that everybody wants and by the end of the film, you’d be surprised just how much you can learn from his fearless desire to be free from everything that dares to stand in his way. Here are four significant lessons to take away from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.”

1. “The question isn’t ‘what are we going to do,’ the question is ‘what aren’t we going to do?’” — Ferris Bueller

His girlfriend, his best friend and a gorgeous Ferrari — Ferris’ “ditch day” could not be any better than this. Right before they speed off to start their journey, Ferris reminds his friends that there’s nothing holding them back from doing what they want to do. They are free from their parents, siblings, teachers and a prying principal. They ultimately have the freedom of choice. Even though there may be consequences for their actions, Ferris still wants his friends to live boldly even just for a day. Because who knows? The problems that they have may not seem so big once they let go and have some good ol’ fun. I encourage you to make a list of things that you’ve always wanted to try and go out and just do it. And if you want to try it Ferris Bueller-style, go take a couple of friends with you.

2. “How could I possibly be able to handle school on a day like this?” — Ferris Bueller

Mental health days are important when life seems a bit overwhelming. There may be academic, work, social or other important responsibilities that make your to-do list seem like a never-ending nightmare. While it’s good to stay busy, remember to take care of yourself so that you don’t experience burnout. In the film, Ferris and his friends eat at a fancy restaurant, go to a baseball game, visit an art museum and have fun at a parade. But unlike the trio, you don’t have to lie your way out just to have a day to yourself. Instead, you can do something simple like sleep in, watch your favorite movie or jam out to your favorite songs. Whatever you choose to do, make sure to put your mental health first and forget about all the things that stress you out, if only for a day. Just relax and recharge.

3. “I am not going to sit on my ass as the events that affect me unfold to determine the course of my life. I’m going to take a stand. I’m going to defend it. Right or wrong, I’m going to defend it.” — Cameron Frye

Ferris makes it his mission in the movie to cheer up his best pal, Cameron, who experiences issues with his emotionally distant father, who loves his car more than his own family. At the beginning of “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” Cameron was somebody who let his unfortunate circumstances control him and close him off from the rest of the world. He was too afraid to speak up against his father and the way that he treated him and his mother. But by the end of the movie, thanks to Ferris’ daring influence, Cameron realizes in an emotional speech that he doesn’t deserve to be treated unfairly. He decides to take a stand and defend himself against his father. Like Cameron, you need to stand up for yourself and prioritize your well-being and needs first. That could mean learning how to say no to others to avoid being a people-pleaser or speaking up against a person who disrespects you. Take control and take a stand.

4. “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” — Ferris Bueller

In the most iconic quote from “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” Ferris teaches viewers to enjoy the present and ground themselves in the now. In a busy and fast-moving society, people often forget to slow down and soak in the day. As a result, people forget just how beautiful it is to be alive in the world because they get caught up in the negative things that happen to them. Ferris reminds his friends and viewers that it doesn’t have to be that way. You can still choose to enjoy the things and people around you because life never stops moving. Every day is a fresh start where you can be intentional with how you spend your day. And remember, you’re not in a rush, so slow down and smell the roses.

“Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” is a film filled with valuable lessons that can help you in your own life. While Paramount Pictures has not announced when the film’s spinoff, “Sam and Victor’s Day Off,” will be released, here’s hoping that it will also have important lessons to teach to audiences.

Megan Garcia, Arizona State University

Megan Garcia

Arizona State University
Film and Media Studies

Megan is a film and media studies major at Arizona State University. With a passion for storytelling, she hopes to reach others through her writing, and of course, have fun while doing so.