Image of Ezra Miller as the Flash in an article about the upcoming film Flashpoint

Will DC’s ‘Flashpoint’ Include These Important Comic Book Characters?

Inspired by the 'Flashpoint' comic series, the film could feature alternative versions of heroes like Superman, Batman and even the Flash.

What would you do if you had the ability to go back in time and save a loved one from dying? Would you do it? What if it meant your future changed as a result? This is the premise of DC Comics’ popular 2011 comic book series, “Flashpoint.”

Adapted into an animated film, “Flashpoint” revolves around DC’s famous speedster, the Flash, otherwise known as Barry Allen. In the series, Allen goes back in time to prevent the death of his mother, a critical event that defines who he is. Saving his mother, however, leads to huge consequences, one of which being that the universe he once lived in is now completely altered, and the only person who knows this is himself.

The world is now foreign to Allen; he no longer has his super-speed, and Bruce Wayne is no longer Batman. Interestingly enough, some of DC’s heroes are now villains, and some villains are now heroes.

“Flashpoint” eventually spun off into several tie-in series, which are from the point of view of other DC heroes and villains in their “new” lives.

The renowned comic book series cemented the Flash as one of DC Comics’ most important heroes and showed how powerful he could be. The events in “Flashpoint” changed the course of DC’s future, since it was the jump-start for New 52, the title of the main comic continuity that restarted.

The development of a Scarlet Speedster movie became official with an announcement in 2014, exciting fans for the future of the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). It will star Ezra Miller (known for “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” and “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”), and in August 2019, “It” and “It Chapter Two” director, Andy Muschietti, was reported to be helming the film. It is slated to be released in 2022.

The movie was stated to be an adaptation of the “Flashpoint” comic book series, so Muschietti has a lot of leeway as to which characters will make an appearance, as well as which versions of the characters we will see, assuming it is not a full-on carbon copy of the series.

With that being said, here are some characters that fans would love to see in the upcoming “Flashpoint” movie.

Thomas and Martha Wayne

Everyone knows that Bruce Wayne is Batman. But what if he isn’t?

In almost every continuity, Bruce essentially becomes Batman the moment his parents, Thomas and Martha, are murdered by a thief. In “Flashpoint,” however, it is the opposite — a young Bruce is murdered rather than his parents.

This drives both Wayne parents insane, with Thomas becoming Batman and Martha becoming the Joker, and we all know the history between those two.

Thomas and Martha Wayne made small appearances in “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Lauren Cohan. But the ‘”Flashpoint” version of Batman would be interesting to see on the big screen because, whereas Bruce Wayne has a strict code against killing, Thomas Wayne does not hesitate to do so.

However, Thomas, a doctor, is equally as intelligent as his son. He plays a significant role in the “Flashpoint” series — Barry Allen goes to Thomas for assistance in returning to his original timeline.

Aquaman and Wonder Woman

Aquaman” was a hit at the box office in 2018, which was surprising because many people perceived the water-based hero to be “lame” for years. The film, directed by James Wan, showed a much edgier, more badass version of the character, which may be due to the casting of Jason Momoa as the titular hero.

Similarly, Patty Jenkins’ 2017 “Wonder Woman” is arguably one of the better films within the current DCEU lineup. Backed by a good story and a stellar performance from lead actress Gal Gadot, the film proved to audiences that women can indeed be compelling heroes.

Aquaman and Wonder Woman, like Thomas Wayne, play significant roles in the “Flashpoint” series — but in this version, they are the villains. The two, depicted as warmongers, lead their respective Atlantean and Amazonian forces into conquering and destroying several countries.

After the murder of Aquaman’s wife, Mera, by the hands of Wonder Woman, the two wage war with one another, causing chaos in Europe.

Having Momoa and Gadot play alternate versions of their popular characters would be interesting to see in the “Flashpoint” movie because, so far, we have only seen them as nothing less than heroic.

Superman

The Man of Steel himself, Superman, is portrayed throughout history as being a powerful and almost perfect hero. So, what if the government were to somehow own him?

This is the situation in the “Flashpoint” comics. Superman, or Clark Kent, is taken prisoner by the United States government when he is an infant, so they can use his powers to create super soldiers.

Though he is normally depicted as a brawny, confident hero, the Clark Kent of “Flashpoint” is frail and afraid of others, due to his ordeals as a prisoner.

Superman should make an appearance in the “Flashpoint” film because he is one of the last resorts our heroes can turn to in stopping the war between Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

Reverse-Flash

The history between the Flash and his main nemesis, Reverse-Flash, is complicated. Reverse-Flash, or Eobard Thawne, goes back in time from the future and murders Barry Allen’s mother, which ultimately drives his motivations to be a hero — I know, it’s a lot to take in.

In short, there is no Flash without Reverse-Flash and vice versa.

In “Flashpoint,” Thawne is the one that inadvertently drives Allen to save his mother by taunting him. He later tells Allen that — spoiler alert — this universe makes Thawne a living paradox who no longer requires Allen to stay alive, so he could kill him if he wanted to. Again, I know it’s a lot.

Fans have yet to see a live-action version of Reverse-Flash, but it would be a missed opportunity not to include him in the “Flashpoint” film.

While there are many other characters that serve some purpose within the “Flashpoint” storyline, the ones listed above have much more important roles, and they should carry on those parts when the live-action adaptation comes around. It would be great to see every character, but it would clutter the film with too many personalities in a single movie. Nonetheless, fans should be excited to finally see the popular story brought to life.

Chris Dang, University of California, Riverside

Chris Dang

University of California, Riverside
Marketing

From Orange County, California, Chris Dang has always enjoyed the big (and small) screen. He one day wants to work in the entertainment industry as a TV writer.