An illustration of pictures showing Chadwick Boseman in his various acting roles

Chadwick Boseman: A Marvel of a Man

Though he is best known for his role in "Black Panther," the actor brought talent and passion to every performance in his career.

Marvel recently released “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” which garnered high praise throughout its multiple weeks in theaters. The musical score, production and costume design make it a breath of fresh air, and its direction delivers a rollercoaster of emotional heights unlike anything else produced by Marvel Studios. Its heartbreaking storylines were gracefully woven from the tragic passing of Chadwick Boseman, who played T’Challa/Black Panther in the previous films. His career extended far beyond these Marvel projects, and his story deserves an overview.

Boseman was born on Nov. 29, 1976, in South Carolina. Although he had dreams of becoming an architect, he ultimately aspired to be a playwright and an actor. By his junior year of high school, he published his first play. After graduating from high school, he left for Washington, D.C., and enrolled at Howard University. There, he developed an expanded love for the arts, graduating with a bachelor’s degree in directing. Soon after, he attended film studies courses at New York City’s Digital Film Academy.

His prowess as a playwright and actor led him to smaller television roles on shows like “Law & Order,” “ER” and “CSI: NY.” He landed a role for the daytime soap opera “All My Children,” but after claiming the show portrayed racial stereotypes, he was replaced by Michael B. Jordan — his future co-star on “Black Panther.” Five years later, Boseman moved to the West Coast in hopes of building a career in film, and in 2008, he appeared in his first movie, “The Express: The Ernie Davis Story.”

42” was Boseman’s breakout film, wherein he portrayed Jackie Robinson. Boseman’s background in playing Little League baseball helped him in the audition process, but his casting was solidified as Robinson’s wife, Rachel, found the actor’s portrayal to be the most accurate. Boseman trained for five months to mimic Robinson’s playing style, and Rachel assisted him and taught him about her late husband.

The film was a critical and commercial success. Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter praised Boseman’s performance, writing: “[Boseman] has the necessary appeal, proves convincing as an athlete and is expressive in spite of the fact that the man he’s playing must mostly keep his true feelings bottled up.” Rachel also offered considerable praise for the film: “I love the movie. I’m pleased with it. It’s authentic and it’s also very powerful.”

For a few years, Boseman continued acting with roles in “Draft Day” and “Gods of Egypt” before being approached by Marvel Studios to play T’Challa, otherwise known as Black Panther. Surprisingly, he did not audition for the role; instead, Boseman claimed “it was more of a discussion about what [Marvel] wanted to do and how I saw it and what I wanted to do.” He signed a five-picture deal with “Marvel Studios,” starting with his appearance in “Captain America: Civil War” and ending with the two-part “Avengers” films.

After “Captain America: Civil War,” Boseman reprised the role of T’Challa and starred in his solo feature, “Black Panther.” This project was decades in the making, as Wesley Snipes attempted to produce the film back in the early 1990s. Multiple attempts to include Black Panther in future Marvel films were made in the mid-2000s, but these never materialized. The film eventually reappeared in 2014, when Kevin Feige announced that he was looking for a director to lead the project. Less than a year later, Ryan Coogler was chosen to direct “Black Panther,” and he reported a release date of February 2018.

Not only did “Black Panther” become a massively popular and culturally significant movie, but it also received widespread acclaim as a stand-alone Marvel film and is now considered one of the greatest superhero films of the 21st century. The cast was overwhelmingly praised by critics and fans alike. McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter wrote, “The actors are all seen to very good advantage. Boseman certainly holds his own, but there are quite a few charismatic supporting players here keen to steal every scene they can — and they do.”

In between his work for Marvel Studios, Boseman starred in two additional films: “Marshall” and “Message from the King.” In the former, he portrayed Thurgood Marshall, the first African American justice of the Supreme Court. In the latter Boseman portrayed Jacob King, a South African traveling to Los Angeles to avenge his sister’s death. Although these films were not box office hits, nor well received by critics, Boseman garnered great admiration for his respective performances.

Boseman played small roles in “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Avengers: Endgame” before turning to other projects. Aside from contributing voiceovers to Marvel’s “What If…?” series, his most well-known work outside of Marvel was in “Da 5 Bloods.” Directed by Spike Lee, the film became a critical success for Netflix and earned multiple ensemble awards.

This dolefully would come to an end, as on Aug. 28th, 2020, Boseman died due to complications of colon cancer. He was diagnosed back in 2016, and his condition only worsened in the following years. Doctors attempted multiple surgeries and treatments, but nothing completely worked. Boseman never publicly revealed his disease, and only a few close family members knew he was suffering. Despite the diagnosis, he continued to act and produce for multiple films, leaving a monumental impact on cultural awareness in cinema.

Boseman did what he loved. Even when he was young, he wanted to create and inspire through his vision of the world. His characters embodied unparalleled passion. His dedication and drive to influence the world of film should not go unnoticed. Marvel would not be the monumental Hollywood presence it is today without the cultural impact of “Black Panther.”

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” is in theaters nationwide, and it’s an honorable tribute to the dedicated soul of Boseman. If you have watched or are planning to watch the film, you will feel the loss of T’Challa. His impactful presence has been dearly missed by audiences of all kinds, and his passion for storytelling cannot be replaced. Rest in peace, Boseman. Wakanda forever.

Paul Hoskin, Weber State University

Paul Hoskin

Weber State University
Interpersonal and Family Communication

I strive to find passion and love for anything and everything I can find. I know a lot about a few things, and a little about a lot of things.