Brie Larson arrives at the Los Angeles premiere of "Kong: Skull Island" at the Dolby Theatre on Wednesday, March 8, 2017. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)

‘Captain Marvel’ Signals a New Age for the Marvel Cinematic Universe

The upcoming film will be the first time a woman has led a solo movie in a Marvel Studios film.

The first time fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe were introduced to Captain Marvel (aka Carol Danvers) was in a brief post-credits scene at the end of “Avengers: Infinity War.” As the world turns to dust around him, SHIELD Director Nick Fury sends a distress signal bearing the insignia of Captain Marvel. She is no doubt going to appear in the upcoming fourth Avengers film, which is set to premiere in May 2019, but beforehand, she received her own solo film, released in March.

The film, which will come out on Women’s Equality Day, will be the second Marvel Studios motion picture to feature a woman as a titular character after Hope van Dyne in “Ant-Man and the Wasp,” and the first movie from the studio to feature a woman as a solo lead. “Captain Marvel” will also be the first Marvel Cinematic Universe film to be directed by a woman, giving the flick a little extra feminist touch.

As a teaser for the film, Entertainment Weekly interviewed some of the cast about the upcoming film and its significance for female audiences.

“This is not a superhero who’s perfect or otherworldly or has some godlike connection. But what makes her special is just how human she is. She’s funny, but doesn’t always tell good jokes. And she can be headstrong and reckless and doesn’t always make the perfect decisions for herself. But at her core, she has so much heart and so much humanity — and all of its messiness,” director Anna Boden told EW.

Although it’s clear to most by now that the reign of the original six Avengers introduced in 2012’s “The Avengers” is coming to a close with the upcoming “Avengers 4,” little has been known about what the future of the MCU might hold. Released photos from the set of “Captain Marvel’ might give some insight into Marvel Studios’ new direction.

“Captain Marvel” will take place during the Kree-Skrull War (a war between two alien races). Captain Marvel herself is part Kree, giving her an interesting stake in the fight. But what stands out is the Skrull can shape-shift, as evidenced in the comic series “Secret Invasion” where the Skrull impersonated several Avengers. Introducing the Skrull, as noted by Business Insider, could open up the pathway to many new storylines.

Captain Marvel
Alongside Larson, “Captain Marvel” will also star Samuel L. Jackson, Jude Law and Clark Gregg. (Image via Entertainment Weekly)

Additionally, in the comics, young fangirl Kamala Khan is partially inspired by her love for Captain Marvel to pursue her own superhero identity after she is transformed by the terrigen mists. Khan picks up the mantel as Ms. Marvel, a nod to her hero who had previously gone by that name.

President of Marvel Studios Kevin Feige indicated that the MCU has some plans for introducing Kamala Khan after Captain Marvel is introduced, so the release of “Captain Marvel” might also signal a shift to focusing on newer younger superheroes in the MCU.

Yet no matter what happens in Marvel Studios’ future, what matters now is that Captain Marvel is coming to save the world.

Kate Maxwell, NC State University

Kate Maxwell

NC State University
Political Science