bojack horseman
bojack horseman

Here’s What Should Happen in Season 5 of ‘BoJack Horseman’

Can Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter PLEASE get a divorce?

As a die-hard fan of Netflix’s original series “BoJack Horseman,” I’ve been a devoted follower of the exploits of BoJack and his friends for years. In fact, I can honestly say that I have watched every episode at least twice, and even more for certain noteworthy episodes, such as “The Old Sugarman Place.

The official Twitter account for the series recently announced the release date for the pending fifth season, revealing that it will be dropped on Sept. 14, 2018. After a stellar fourth season, I have some thoughts about what should go down during the fifth.

1. Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter get a divorce.

Even before their wedding at the end of the first season, BoJack’s close friend Diane and famous husband Mr. Peanutbutter have always had a tumultuous relationship, and their married life has seen several large-scale fights that revealed just how little the two have in common.

BoJack Horseman
Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter’s relationship shows how even though a couple may love each other, they can still be toxic. (Image via Youtube/ Stewing Jam TV)

Especially after the Season 4 episode “Commence Fracking,” which saw the couple slip into almost abusive territory, I’m really hoping the two decide to end their relationship sometime during Season 5.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Diane dearly, and Mr. Peanutbutter has grown on me over time, but the two of them are not healthy together, and I would love to see them explored more apart from their marital issues, which have been at the center of previous seasons.

2. Ralph and Princess Carolyn reunite.

Of all the characters in “BoJack Horseman,” I’m rooting for Princess Carolyn’s happiness the hardest.  Her story arcs have constantly been filled with disappointments. From a rough childhood to complicated relationships and career missteps, PC hasn’t been able to catch a break — a trend that continued in the previous season.

PC’s story in the last season saw her experience her fifth miscarriage and, in a drunken outburst, push away her boyfriend Ralph. Although it’s unlikely, I would love to see the two get back together. Ralph genuinely made Princess Carolyn happy, and she deserves to have someone like that in her life.

3. BoJack gets closure from his mother.

Arguably the most complicated relationship in the show, BoJack and his mother Beatrice have resented one another for decades. While the first three seasons present Beatrice as abusive and unfeeling toward her son, Season 4 finally fleshes out her characterization in two crucial episodes: “The Old Sugarman Place” and “Time’s Arrow.

Season 4 explores Beatrice’s past and her neglect and abuse toward Bojack. (Image via Mashable).

After enduring years of verbal and emotional abuse at the hands of her father, and witnessing the aftermath of her mother’s lobotomy, Beatrice also ends up  in an equally abusive relationship with BoJack’s father, Butterscotch, after she gets pregnant with BoJack.As a result, Beatrice blames BoJack for ruining her life, in the same way he blames her for ruining his.

However, Beatrice’s declining health — she is now battling Alzheimer’s — was an important point during the last season.

Although BoJack tells his sister Hollyhock of his intentions to finally tell off his mother, when she finally becomes lucid again at the end of “Time’s Arrow,” BoJack, in a rare display of empathy toward his mother, instead pretends the two of them are back at his grandparents’ summer house enjoying ice cream together.

Though nothing can make up for how Beatrice’s treatment of BoJack has emotionally damaged him, I genuinely want to see Beatrice make some form of apology to her son before she passes away,something that will most likely occur before the end of Season 5.

BoJack deserves some kind of closure and I hope he gets it before it’s too late.

Kate Maxwell, NC State University

Kate Maxwell

NC State University
Political Science