Trump Mocks LeBron for Providing Upward Mobility to Disadvantaged Communities

Just classic stuff you'd expect the president to ridicule.

Lebron James continues to prove that he is the king, on and off the court.

There’s been a lot of talk recently surrounding the actions of the wealthy. Capitalism is the driving force in society, though some would not like it to be, and the lucky few who reap the largest portion of its benefits are currently being scrutinized as to how they allocate their funds.

Many people feel that it is the responsibility of the rich to use the resources at their disposal to help those who are less fortunate. The idea isn’t exactly a welfare system — it’s more of a concept driven by generosity, fairness and using what you have been gifted with to better the world.

NBA star Lebron James, a native of Akron, Ohio, just became the embodiment of this concept.

James had a rough elementary school life, as he was raised by a single teenage mother and was constantly forced to relocate from home to home. His passion and talent for basketball guided him forward, setting him on the path to get where he is today.

So, this past week, he decided to do everything in his power to ensure that other struggling elementary schoolers have the opportunity to learn, and follow their own aspirations.

James opened the “I Promise” school, a place for at-risk Akron, Ohio, children to receive a strong education. This institution will give them a chance to grow and realize their potential.

He didn’t just stop there. Tuition, uniforms, meals, transportation, a bike and helmet, and food for the family are guaranteed for free under this educational program. Students that graduate high school will receive a full tuition scholarship to the University of Akron, opening up the possibility for a college degree, enforcing the idea that education is a right for all, not just a privilege reserved for the more fortunate.

James even went a step further to assist the families of students — all parents will be given assistance with finding a job and furthering their own careers.

He even has plans for “I Promise” to grow in size and scope within the next couple years. What a stellar example of using your position of power to help improve the lives of others. His altruistic venture seems like something that should be commended by someone like, say, the president of the United States, right?

Wrong.

President Donald Trump continues to prove that he is rude and ignorant, inside and outside the White House. Last friday night, CNN aired an interview with Lebron James and Don Lemon again, and it got President Trump fired up.

During the interview, James expressed that he felt “Trump has used athletics and athletes to divide the country,” alluding to the NFL players who chose to kneel during the national anthem, and all the controversy that followed.

So, in classic Trump fashion, the president decided to, once again, use athletics and athletes to divide the country. On Twitter, of course.

He posted, “Lebron James was just interviewed by the dumbest man on television, Don Lemon. He made Lebron look smart, which isn’t easy to do. I like Mike!”

The president of the United States took a jab at the man who has made more of an effort to improve the accessibility of education than the entire Trump administration.

While Secretary of Education Betsy Devos is busy worrying about her $40 million yacht that was recently set adrift, James is providing educational opportunities for the next generation.

Trump couldn’t stand the fact that James was doing his administration’s job more effectively than it ever could. So, he decided to disparage the one new positive force in an otherwise broken country, and it was absolutely disgusting and degrading.

Trump might have been a Wharton graduate, but it looks like he was never taught a lesson on respect or gratitude. And the sad truth of it all is, America is at the point where the president’s reaction was not a surprise — it was most likely even expected by a majority of people.

In regard to Trump’s comment about siding with Michael Jordan in the debate as to who is the superior athlete, Jordan himself expressed his support for James. Did Trump really think Jordan valued his praise?

James isn’t just teaching a next generation of students. He is educating the president of the United States on how the immense resources he possesses could be used to make education more accessible to all.

Trump should be taking notes, not posting tweets.

Maya Ramani, University of Virginia

Maya Ramani

University of Virginia