The 4 Most Common Health Problems in Cats

If you want to spend a long time with your furry friend, then you are going to have to pay attention to their physical well-being.

Although it’s unpleasant, you have to face up to the facts: Your furry friend can get sick just like humans. By looking out for your cat and getting them treated promptly, you could prevent severe problems in the future. So, what are the common health problems out there and what symptoms should you look out for? Read on to find out!

Cats With Heart Problems

Heart problems can be common in cats, with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy triggering the stretching or thickening of your cat’s heart’s walls. Pay attention to your cat’s symptoms such as fainting, shortness of breath, chronic coughing, inactivity and a frequently raised heart rate.

Constipation and Other Gastrointestinal Problems in Cats

There are many gastrointestinal problems that cats can face at any time in their lives. For example, constipation is a common problem in cats. This problem can be easily corrected in most cases, although long-term constipation can occur. This has the potential to develop an enlarged intestine called megacolon, which is triggered by a defect in the colon’s muscle strength.  However, mild constipation in cats can usually be treated with a high-fiber diet and easy access to water. Owners could also encourage opportunities for excrement such as adding another litter box in the house or cleaning the box more frequently.

Cats may also suffer from gastritis and temporary or long-term vomiting. This problem is caused by stomach inflammation and can be detected if your cat throws up bile, fresh blood, digested blood or froth. Diarrhea can also be a symptom depending on the cause of this issue. This can be temporarily solved by offering your cat leak-proof kitten diapers, which will prevent you from continually having to clean up your pet’s mess. Diapers are also useful for cats in heat. Long-term vomiting is usually a sign of lethargy, weight loss, salt imbalance or dehydration, so it’s vital to ensure that your cat is getting a range of environmental and physical health benefits.

While uncommon in cats, the issue could be cancer of the digestive system. This mostly develops in the small intestine. To detect this through symptoms, look out for diarrhea with blood, vomiting with blood, weight loss, a loss of appetite, and lethargy.

However, to make an accurate diagnosis in this area, you will need to travel to the veterinarian to get confirmation and specialized treatments for your pet.

cat lying on windowsill
Photo by Roberto Huczek on Unsplash

Renal Disease and Urinary Problems in Cats

Acute renal failure can develop abruptly in cats, sometimes taking weeks or just mere days. This is usually triggered by a cause such as trauma, poisons or kidney infections. Look out for symptoms such as weight loss, vomiting, diarrhea, a dry coat, frequent urination and constipation.

Feline Respiratory Disease, Such as Asthma

Symptoms for respiratory diseases in cats differ, although commonly include sneezing, coughing, fever, a loss of appetite and congestion.

Therefore, with so many common health problems out there, it may be worth getting health insurance for your pet to keep their best interests at heart!

Conclusion

Knowing the common diseases can help you act in time to save your cat. We are sometimes too busy to notice the signs that these diseases cause. The information in this article will help you to keep your cats healthy by preventing them from being exposed to unhealthy conditions.