in article about using a cigar cutter, a person smoking a cigar

How To Sharpen a Cigar Cutter

If you want the most optimal experience, make sure your blades are sharp.

A cigar cutter is an essential accessory for every cigar aficionado. It is used to trim one end of the cigar so you can smoke it properly. It does its job efficiently, but the blades can become dull and blunt with time, affecting the blade’s effectiveness in cutting your cigars perfectly.

Dull cutters can create jagged edges on the cigar. They can also crush and tear the tobacco, which ruins the smoking experience. If you notice these signs, it is time to sharpen your cigar cutter.

However, how you do it determines whether you will enhance the cutter’s effectiveness or deteriorate its quality. This article will teach you how to sharpen a cigar cutter without ruining its quality.

1. Clean the Cigar Cutter

The first step to sharpening your cigar cutter is cleaning it. Every time you use the cutter, oil and residue from the cigar builds up in the blades, making them lose their luster and effectiveness.

To clean the cutter, soak it in warm water for a few minutes to loosen up the residue and oil. Then dry the blades with a clean towel. Alternatively, you can use rubbing alcohol to remove dirt from the blades.

2. Deburr the Cigar Cutter With Aluminum Foil

Deburring is a simple and inexpensive way to sharpen your cigar cutter. It involves buffing the blades with an aluminum foil to remove any build-up and smooth out imperfections.

To deburr the blades, roll up some aluminum foil into the shape of a cigar. Then take the cutter and cut through the aluminum roll as many times as possible.

If the blades are too blunt, you may need to create another aluminum roll and repeat the process. The idea is to deburr the blade as much as possible to remove any build-up, straighten bent edges and eliminate imperfections.

3. Use a Whetstone

If cleaning and deburring the cigar cuter doesn’t work, disassemble the cigar cutter and use a whetstone to sharpen the blades manually. This method is only helpful for high-end cutters or cutters that can be taken apart. If yours is of low quality, it is best to get a new one instead of dissembling and reassembling it.

To preserve the quality of your cutters, use the appropriate tools to disassemble and reassemble. Also, use a quality whetstone and the proper technique to sharpen the blades.

4. Get Professional Help

Get professional assistance from your local cigar shop if you cannot sharpen the cigar cutters yourself. The experts will sharpen the cigar cutter and return it as good as new for a small fee.

Alternatively, if your cigar cutter has an active warranty, you can send it back to the manufacturer for sharpening or replacement. However, you may have to wait a few weeks to get your cutter back, but it is worth it in the end.

Conclusion

You can sharpen a dull cigar cutter in several ways. You can choose to clean it, deburr it or use a whetstone. Whichever method you choose, ensure that you are careful, so you don’t end up ruining the quality of the cutter.