A person trying to study at a desk.

How To Find The Motivation To Study

Try these study tips when you lose your motivation to study, and you'll be back on the path to success in no time!

The motivation to study can be elusive, especially if you’re struggling with your topic or have more interesting things to do! But if you’re struggling to cram for your exams, master your lessons or tackle your coursework, don’t fret — there are plenty of useful study motivation tips to get you back on track. Here are some of the most effective things to try.

Finding the Motivation To Study: 6 Tips for Success

These tips can help you rediscover your passion to excel in your work. After all, when you’re motivated to study hard it usually takes less time to see great results — so focus and a strategic approach are key.

1. Watch Films and Shows That Relate to Your Topic

Combine your love of film and media with your study topic and you can rediscover your enthusiasm in record time. You could watch documentaries that tackle your study area in an engaging way or see a historic film that brings a certain era to life. You could even choose a film that brings adrenaline and excitement to an otherwise dry topic. Try ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’ if you’re studying finance, for example, or look into other titles that make up some of the best finance movies to watch. You can build viewing time into your study schedule to break reading into chunks, or use it as a reward at the end of your planned revision session.

1. Listen to Music

Research shows that music can relax our brains and encourage memory retention, focus and recall. To relax, try classical music and soundtracks that sit well in the background. To ramp up your energy, try some more upbeat tunes. Choose music that you connect with, and keep the volume low enough that you can still concentrate. Your motivation to study will return in no time, especially if you learn to connect your favorite musical pieces with your study topic.

1. Factoring In Enough Rest

Losing motivation to study? You may simply need to rest more, especially if you have been burning the candle at both ends. Give yourself a screen break every 30 minutes and take a quick stretch, walk outside or have a short tea break. You could even try Yoga Nidra meditations if you need some physical energy — you can find guided meditations online that only take 10-30 minutes. These send you into a meditative hypnotic state and are incredibly re-energizing. Aim to get 7-9 hours of quality sleep at night to help embed your learning. This means no screen time for 2 hours before bed, no coffee in the evening and a cool bedroom environment to maximize your deep sleep.

1. Exercise and Get Fresh Air

Exercise is crucial to get your blood pumping and endorphins flowing to counteract the effects of hunching over your screen or book for too long. For extra benefits, exercise outdoors to get vitamin D and the benefits of natural daylight. This also helps to set your circadian rhythm, which will help you sleep at night. Fitting in your favorite workouts can motivate you to achieve your to-do list for the rest of the day. Going for a run or doing an exercise class before a long study session can help get you motivated and moving before you sit at a desk for the rest of the day. 

1. Eat Well

As computer programmers say, garbage in — garbage out. The same applies to your food choices and study output. Live on junk and your blood sugar will constantly rocket and then plummet, leaving you foggy-brained, demotivated and low on energy. Focus on quality protein sources, slow-release carbohydrates, good fats and plenty of vegetables and fruits. Stay hydrated, and put a jug of water on your desk to prompt you to take regular drinks. The odd coffee is fine, but stop drinking caffeine in the evening so you can wind down to sleep at the right time.

1. Keep the Bigger Goal in Mind

Why exactly are you studying in the first place? If you’re working to pass, for example, to get onto a course or to kickstart your career, then reconnect with your goal regularly. You could create a mood board that shows how your study success will translate into your broader goals, or keep a journal where you remind yourself of your intended path. This will help you to find your natural motivation and remember why all the hard work will be worth it in the end!

Try these study tips when you lose your motivation to study, and you’ll be back on the path to success in no time!