braces

People in California Look for Cheaper Alternatives to Braces

You don't have to have a mouth full of metal anymore.

Wearing braces is an undesirable prospect for most people. However, this method of straightening and correcting teeth imperfections has been the only effective option for many years. Apart from the discomfort and unpleasant appearance, braces are also costly.

In recent years, dentistry techniques have changed drastically. With these advancements came new options for achieving a straight smile. In California, for instance, patients have up to five alternative options aside from traditional braces. Here’s a brief discussion of these dental techniques and what to expect if you have to undergo these procedures.

1. Invisalign

Invisalign is one of the cheaper alternatives to braces. Invisalign uses a plastic tray that fits on the teeth of the patient. These teeth aligners are made with the highest quality material, customized to fit your teeth perfectly. As the treatment progresses, you’ll have to change the tray as your teeth begin to shift and move.

Invisalign is a popular option for adults or teenagers. It’s the perfect alternative to wearing traditional wire braces. It’s barely noticeable and isn’t as painful. For minor cases, the treatment process can be quite short. It’s possible to get your teeth straightened in as little as three months.

2. Lingual braces

Lingual braces are similar to traditional wire braces. The device, however, is designed to look less conspicuous. Also, the metal brackets are attached to the back of the teeth instead of the front. You cannot see them, and they will not affect how you laugh, smile or talk. This type of dental straightening procedure isn’t for everyone. But it’s best to discuss with your dentist whether or not this option is suitable for your condition.

3. Retainers

Retainers are often used after wearing braces. The purpose of a retainer is to keep your teeth straight because your teeth tend to shift as you get older. Although not considered an outright fix for teeth alignment problems, retainers can correct minor dental issues.

4. Ceramic braces

Ceramic braces are the sleeker alternative to metal braces, but the treatment process is still the same. It doesn’t have a bulky and crude appearance like that of metal braces. Instead of metal, the brackets are made of ceramic. It also blends with the enamel tooth color for a polished finish. Some parts are still made of metal, but it looks less noticeable when worn.

5. Cosmetic dentistry

Much like cosmetic surgery, cosmetic dentistry solves teeth problems through a more invasive process. There are different kinds of cosmetic dentistry. One of the most popular is applying veneers. Veneers will give you that perfect shiny smile that will last a long time.

Another option is to have dental implants replace damaged teeth. These cosmetic procedures aren’t for the faint of heart. Most of the time, dentists will recommend undergoing cosmetic surgery if you suffer from more serious dental problems.

Final thoughts

Having perfect teeth isn’t only about looking good. It’s also essential for your health and well-being. Fortunately, wearing wire braces isn’t your only choice. Hopefully, these alternatives will give you confidence in visiting your dentist to get the dental work you need.