Meet the President with the University of Dallas’ Karmina Martinez Ruiz
1. What is your major? I am double majoring in Biology and Spanish.
2. What is your dream job? To become a doctor and help change the health care system in the U.S, and be a great mother.
3. What academic focus most interests you? Science and literature
4. What are your intellectual strengths? I am a problem solver and task-oriented.
5. What will you never understand? Why humans were created, how God is omnipotent and how my parents have been able to raise eleven children.
6. What qualities do you most admire in a person? Their humility, respect for life, for others and their sense of humor.
7. What is your most marked characteristic? My love to help others
8. What angers you? The injustice in the world. It angers me that our society has become too selfish and disrespectful.
9. What is currently on your mind? Studying for the MCAT
10. What historical figure do you admire? Mother Teresa of Calcutta
11. What did you do over the summer? I went to my friend’s wedding, traveled with my family to San Diego and visited my uncle in Japan.
12. Who are some of your favorite authors? Victor Hugo, St. Thomas of Aquinas, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Ruben Dario
13. What music are you into at the moment? Anything with a good beat! And a song my sister just wrote—it’s amazing!
14. What is your go-to meal? I love salads.
15. What’s your biggest struggle as a student? Overcommitting
16. What is your favorite Instagram account? I don’t really have a favorite!
17. What is your most treasured possession? A ring my grandmother gave me of when she was young and all my childhood pictures.
18. What is your favorite alcoholic beverage? I don’t really drink, but I do enjoy a nice glass of wine.
19. What is your typical outfit? A dress or colored pants and a blazer
20. What’s the best class you’ve taken in college? This is a very hard question, since all the classes at UD have been incredible. I really enjoyed the philosophy and theology classes as well as the Spanish literature classes.
21. What is your favorite place to eat? Any place that has good sushi or good pizza
22. What’s a secret talent of yours? I can make any type of braid, and I can hold a six-minute plank. Not sure if that’s really a talent!
23. Where do you want to go most in the world? New Zealand, Portugal and the Pacific Islands
24. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I wish I was a faster runner and more flexible! Also to not overthink things.
25. What is your definition of failure? An opportunity to grow in humility, a reminder that we are not perfect and an experience that you should try not to repeat.
26. Where would you be if not in college? Traveling the world and studying to get into medical school.
27. What makes you nervous? When people don’t hold babies right. I fear they will drop them right in front of me!
28. What is your biggest indulgence? Massages. Love them.
29. What living person would you most like to meet? Pope Francis
30. What is important to you right now? My family
31. What is your greatest achievement? Balancing running cross country for UD while being president of student government and secretary for the Pre-Health Society.
32. What is your motto? Life is too short to be anything but happy.