Illustration by Emily Daugherty, Ohio State University

Top Five Biggest Sports Cheating Scandals

What do Lance Armstrong, Tonya Harding, and Tom Brady have in common?

If a person is getting paid to play their favorite sport for a living, the least they could do is play fair. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Despite its title, professional sports often come with deeply unprofessional incidents. Whether it’s due to the thrill of winning or the lust for more money, sports cheating scandals infiltrate their way into any and all types of playing fields. These five scandals range from the creative to the criminal, but all are ultimately foul. 

5. Deflategate

Starting off strong, the classic Deflategate occurred in 2015 when allegations against the New England Patriots arose, accusing the NFL team of having underinflated footballs. The footballs are required to be within a range of 12.5 – 13.5 pounds per square inch of air pressure. During the 2014 AFC Championship Game against the Indianapolis Colts, one of the referees took one of the footballs off the field to gauge its pressure. Upon testing, the referees found that 11 of the 12 footballs that the Patriots provided were underinflated. A lower pressure would allow for an easier grasp of the ball. 

The entire team, including quarterback Tom Brady, firmly denied the accusations, claiming they weren’t aware of the activities taking place and would never attempt to break the rules. Despite their refutations, Brady was suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2016 season, and the team had to pay a $1 million fine. Many still argue against the validity of the accusations, but there is too much incriminating evidence – such as Brady destroying his phone before it could be investigated–for Deflategate to not make the list.

4. NBA Referee Betting on His Games

Sports cheating scandals aren’t limited to just the players. In 2007, NBA referee Tim Donaghy was accused of being involved in a gambling ring where he provided classified information he received as a ref. He was betting on games for four years and acted as an advisor for gamblers. For at least five months leading up to his arrest, Donaghy advised gamblers on what teams to bet on using coded language and insider information. He received an estimated $2,000 to $5,000 per correct pick, including on games that he was reffing for. 

In 2008, he was found guilty and received 15 months in prison and three years of supervised release. It’s shocking and, to be frank, unacceptable that it took so long for anyone to notice his abuse of power and disregard for his profession.

3. Sign Stealing in Baseball

Coming in third, the Houston Astros get the award for the most creative method of cheating. Starting in the 2017 season, the MLB team would use a camera in centerfield of their home stadium to steal signs sent from the catcher to the pitcher of the opposing team. Employees in the video replay room would then relay the sign to the dugout. From there, players would use varying methods of communication, including banging on a trash can, to let the batter know what pitch to expect. 

The team’s Manager and General Manager were both fired in addition to the team having to fork up $5 million. Although still wrong, the Astros admittedly managed to be a part of one of the more innovative sports cheating scandals. 

2. A Doped-Up Tour de France

Even the field of professional cycling is inescapable from a sports cheating scandal. While there are a few major cyclists who have been accused of using performance-enhancing drugs, Lance Armstrong is one of the most prominent. He had seven consecutive Tour de France victories between 1999 and 2005, all of which were stripped away from him in 2011 after he was charged with using and trafficking banned substances

Authorities tried to nail Armstrong down for years, even from his very first Tour de France victory. He vehemently denied the accusations every single year. It wasn’t until some of his teammates stepped forward and admitted to doping up that he was finally caught. Even then, he refused to own up to his usage until recently 2012. Steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs are used all too frequently in sports and prove to be one of the more common forms of cheating utilized.

1. Iceskating Assault

Landing in spot number one is Tonya Harding versus Nancy Kerrigan. The two figure skaters had a long-standing rivalry that drove Harding and the people in her life into a desperate frenzy to win using any means possible. On January 6, just days before the 1994 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, hired hitman Shane Stunt bashed Kerrigan’s knee with a collapsible baton. Upon investigation, Stunt and his uncle were hired by Harding’s ex-husband and bodyguard, Jeff Gillooly and Shawn Eckhardt respectively. Luckily Kerrigan didn’t sustain any severe injuries, only bruising; however, she was still unable to compete in the Championships, whereas Harding won gold. 

Both Eckhardt and Gillooly confessed to their involvement almost immediately upon their investigation, and Harding eventually pleaded guilty. Her punishment was three years probation, a $160,000 fine, her 1994 Championships title revoked, and a permanent ban from the USFSA. Even though Kerrigan was lucky enough to walk away without being critically injured, the actions taken in this sports cheating scandal cross a line that goes beyond the drive for victory. Endangering the livelihood of another person for personal gain is no longer a scandal, but it’s a serious crime. 

These five scandals barely skim the surface of what goes on in the sports industry. The drive for success and power is one that many cannot resist, causing athletes to fall into the trap of cheating in an attempt to become the best in the business. These insincere efforts by athletes strip away the integrity of their sport and diminish the efforts made by other players who are putting in legitimate work to win. In the end, if an athlete isn’t playing with integrity, they shouldn’t bother playing at all. 

Christine Bardos, Santa Clara University

Christine Bardos

Santa Clara University
English, Minor in Creative Writing

"Hi! I’m Christine Bardos. I'm a student at Santa Clara University majoring in English and minoring in Creative Writing. When I don’t have my nose in a book, I love to hike, bake, and travel."