A pair of red ballet slippers stand in point while grey drawings of a nutcracker and a swan stand against the pink background.
Illustrated by Destiny Hall-Harper, University of the Art

Five Famous Ballet Pieces That Aren’t Just for the Holidays

Learn About These Iconic Ballet Stories That Will Make You Want to Run to the Theaters

The Christmas season often reminds people of ballet and dance due to the most famous piece “The Nutcracker,” which people see performed during the holiday season. But as a former ballerina, I know there are many other ballets deserving of the same attention. I decided to share with you five different ballets and their story and significance in the world of the performing arts.

“Swan Lake”

The story behind this classic piece is about a curse, romance and tragedy. Oftentimes tragedy is what makes the dances and what makes the audience fall in love with the delicacy and sharpness of the moves and dancers. “Swan Lake” was composed by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (one of the most influential and important composers in the ballet world). The story tells of Prince Siegfried, who falls in love with Odette, a princess cursed to be a swan by day. The villainous sorcerer Rothbart tricks Siegfried by introducing him to his daughter, Odile, who resembles Odette. In the end, Siegfried and Odette’s love prevails, but tragedy ensues.

The importance of this ballet is that it showcases the technical skill of dancers, particularly in the dual role of Odette/Odile. The beautiful score and timeless theme of love and betrayal contribute to its lasting popularity as well. 

“The Nutcracker”

This ballet is another creation from composer Tchaikovsky but this time it is a themed festive story following Clara, a young girl who receives a magical nutcracker doll as a Christmas gift. The magical doll comes to life at a point of the night and brings Clara along with him to embark on a journey to the Land of Sweets, encountering various enchanting characters.

The Nutcracker is an important and beloved holiday tradition, for some to perform and for others to watch. Its whimsical story, vibrant characters and the enchanting music make it accessible to audiences of all ages, contributing to its cultural significance of innocence, sweetness and magic.

“La Bayadère”

This ballet is choreographed by Marius Petipa and the music was composed by Ludwig Minkus. Their minds became one to create this story, which is set in ancient India and follows the love triangle between the warrior Solor, the temple dancer Nikiya and the princess Gamzatti. The plot involves betrayal, revenge and a dream sequence set in the Kingdom of the Shades.

“La Bayadère” is an exotic and complex performance, and in addition demands lots of technical feats showcasing magnificent classical ballet technique. The “Kingdom of the Shades” scene, with a corps de ballet of identical white tutus, is particularly famous and challenging.

“Coppélia”

“Coppélia” is a comedic ballet telling the story of a young couple called Swanilda and Franz, the latter of whom becomes infatuated with Coppélia, a girl he sees sitting on the balcony of Dr. Coppélius’s house. However, Coppélia is actually a life-sized doll. Swanilda, with her friends, uncovers the truth and saves Franz from Dr. Coppélius’s mysterious plans.

The reason why this ballet is very famous in the dance world is due to its lighthearted and humorous tone. It showcases the dancers’ ability to convey character and emotion while also featuring technical elements. The ballet’s charm lies in its delightful storytelling and playful choreography all mixed in the eyes of the audience.

“Giselle”

“Giselle” is the right choice for those viewers who love romance. It is a romantic ballet that in the first act, it tells of a peasant girl, Giselle, who falls in love with a nobleman disguised as a commoner (much like a reverse “Aladdin”). When she discovers his true identity and learns he is engaged to another woman, Giselle dies of a broken heart. The second act involves the spirits of betrayed maidens, the Wilis, who seek revenge on men by forcing them to dance to their death. Giselle’s love ultimately saves her beloved from this fate.

This piece is known to be a milestone in the Romantic era of ballet. It explores themes of love, betrayal and forgiveness. The dancers who play Giselle must master both dramatic acting and technically demanding choreography, making it a challenging and emotionally resonant ballet.

These ballets are considered masterpieces in the world of dance, each contributing to the rich tapestry of ballet history. They continue to be performed worldwide, captivating audiences with their timeless stories and exquisite choreography. So, now it is your turn to choose which of these ballets will be your first dive into the world of dance.

Beatriz Barros Felice, California State University, Northridge

Beatriz Barros Felice

California State University, Northridge
Mass Communication, Masters

"Beatriz is an international, multilingual journalist from Brazil. After graduating with her B.A. in Journalism, she returned to get her Masters in Mass Communication. She hopes to work in entertainment and world culture."