A vibrant and engaging collage that features iconic elements from the exhibitions mentioned, including artworks, historical artifacts, and scientific exhibits.

10 Must-See Museum Exhibitions in 2024

The longer days and increased spring and summer leisure time create ample opportunities to delve into art, science, and history.

Nestled in climate-controlled comfort, museums present an enriching mix of education and entertainment, appealing to all ages. From the dynamic art scenes of major cities to the serene alcoves of historical collections, each visit promises a unique and enriching experience.

Exploring art exhibits can provide profound insights into cultural narratives, innovative artistic techniques, and historical perspectives. Here’s a guide to 10 captivating art exhibits scheduled in 2024, offering a mix of classical and contemporary experiences.

1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art: The Belfer Court and Beyond

The Metropolitan Museum of Art was founded in 1870 to bring art and art education to Americans. Today, The Met houses over 2 million works in its diverse collection.

One prominent feature of The Met is the Belfer Court, located within the museum’s Greek and Roman galleries. In 2024, it unveiled a remarkable addition to its Greek and Roman Galleries — the Cycladic art exhibition, titled Cycladic Art: The Leonard N. Stern Collection on Loan from the Hellenic Republic. This collection features an impressive array of ancient Greek sculptures and vessels, particularly from the Cycladic islands.

The creation of the Belfer Court was made possible through the significant support of Robert Belfer and his family, who have been long-time benefactors of the museum. This contribution not only enhanced the museum’s architectural elegance, but also improved access to a remarkable collection of ancient artifacts. The Belfer Court exemplifies how private support can play a pivotal role in expanding and enhancing public institutions, allowing them to display and preserve invaluable cultural treasures more effectively.

As visitors enter the Belfer Court, they’re greeted by five large vitrines, each with three pairs of shelves lined with red felt that beautifully contrasts the white marble of the artifacts. The display includes around 120 pieces, with roughly 70 small female figurines known for their minimalistic yet evocative design characterized by stylized forms and folded arms. These figures, often just 16 inches tall, are considered iconic representations of Cycladic art.

In addition to the figurines, the exhibition showcases several large, standalone heads that evoke comparisons to the giant heads of Easter Island, along with various vessels such as vases, bowls, and plates. The collection also includes delicate palettes resembling leek leaves, emphasizing the artisans’ intricate craftsmanship.

The artifacts, crafted between approximately 5300 B.C. and 2300 B.C., represent a crucial period in Cycladic history, spanning the late Neolithic to the early Bronze Age. This era, known as Early Cycladic I and II, highlights the artistry and cultural richness of the Aegean islands during ancient times.

Leonard N. Stern, who started collecting these artifacts in the early 1980s, has generously donated the collection to Greece. However, through a special arrangement with the Greek government and the Met, these pieces will remain displayed at the museum for 25 years, with potential extensions and periodic returns to Greece.

The exhibition explores the aesthetic beauty of Cycladic art, its historical significance, and its influence on modern artists like Constantin Brâncuși, Amedeo Modigliani, and Pablo Picasso. Cycladic sculptures have been pivotal in developing Western abstraction, paralleling other influential art forms in shaping modern artistic expressions.

This display, curated by Sean Hemingway and Alexis Belis of The Met’s Greek and Roman Department, invites visitors to explore the depths of ancient Greek art and its enduring influence on contemporary culture.

2. Georgia O’Keeffe: My New Yorks at the Art Institute of Chicago

Running from June 2 to Sept. 24, this show offers a rare glimpse into the early New York period of American painter Georgia O’Keeffe’s career. This exhibition contrasts sharply with her more widely recognized works that depict the American Southwest. During her years in the Big Apple, O’Keeffe developed her unique style of modernism, capturing the dynamism and scale of the city with its towering skyscrapers and bustling streets. This period was crucial for shaping her approach to subjects and composition, elements that would later translate into her iconic southwestern landscapes. The exhibition invites visitors to explore this formative phase of O’Keeffe’s artistic evolution, providing a deeper understanding of her work.

3. Crafting Modernity at The Museum of Modern Art, New York City

Until Sept. 22, The Museum of Modern Art presents a comprehensive exploration of the evolution of modern design in Latin America. This exhibition highlights the significant contributions of Latin American designers who have been pivotal in shaping the global landscape of contemporary design. The show features diverse works — from furniture and industrial design to graphic arts — and offers insights into how these designers merged local traditions with international modernist trends to create innovative yet culturally resonant works. The exhibit showcases Latin American designers’ rich creativity and ingenuity and places their contributions in a broader context, illustrating their impact on worldwide design aesthetics.

4. Joyce J. Scott: Walk a Mile in My Dreams at the Baltimore Museum of Art

Until July 14, indulge in a profound retrospective of Joyce J. Scott’s prolific career. This exhibition gathers over 120 of her works, including intricate jewelry and powerful sculpture, to explore intergenerational and community connection themes. Scott, renowned for her virtuosic use of beadwork alongside other media, engages deeply with issues of race, gender, and social justice, weaving these threads into the fabric of her art. The displayed pieces highlight her technical skill and reflect her commitment to voicing cultural narratives that span generations, emphasizing the enduring influence of personal and collective history in shaping contemporary art and identity.

5. Toshiko Takaezu: Worlds Within at the Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum, New York City

Until July 28, the Noguchi Foundation commemorates the centennial of the artist’s birth with a significant retrospective of her work. This exhibition covers the expansive scope of Takaezu’s career, featuring her much-admired ceramics and immersive installation pieces. Recognized for her closed forms that often contain rattling beads, her work transcends traditional pottery, inviting viewers into a meditative space that reflects her art’s spiritual and natural influences. The exhibition aims to provide a deep dive into how Takaezu’s Japanese American heritage and her philosophical approach to ceramics helped shape the American studio craft movement, offering visitors a unique insight into her world through the very essence of her creations.

6. Käthe Kollwitz at The Museum of Modern Art, New York City

A compelling survey of Käthe Kollwitz’s work is presented through July 20. This exhibition combines over a hundred of Kollwitz’s powerful drawings and prints, showcasing her intense emotional and social commentary on the human condition. Kollwitz’s art, deeply influenced by her experiences in early 20th-century Germany, addresses themes of war, poverty, and the struggles of the working class, capturing the resilience and suffering of her subjects with profound empathy and sharp social critique. This comprehensive display highlights her mastery of graphic art, reaffirming her legacy as one of the most significant figures in modern art whose works continue to resonate with contemporary audiences.

7. Superflex: Beyond the End of the World at the Institute of Contemporary Art, San Diego

Running through July 28, Superflex is set to captivate audiences with its innovative and thought-provoking installations. Known for its critical and playful approach, the Danish art collective Superflex delves into complex themes such as economics, environmental sustainability, and societal structures. This exhibition, showcased across ICA’s Balboa Park and Encinitas campuses, offers new perspectives on the roles and rights of plants and animals in our ecosystem. Through interactive and immersive artworks, Superflex challenges viewers to reconsider their interaction with the natural world and the socioeconomic frameworks that shape it. 

8. Monuments of Solidarity at the Museum of Modern Art, New York City 

Running through Sept. 7, this exhibition showcases LaToya Ruby Frazier’s powerful use of photography and text to explore pressing issues of inequality, race, and labor in postindustrial America. Through her images, Frazier documents the lived realities of communities deeply affected by economic decline and social neglect, particularly focusing on the impact on families and workers. Her work captures the resilience and resistance of these communities. It serves as a call to action, urging viewers to acknowledge and address the systemic issues in marginalized societies. This exhibit promises to be a reflective and impactful experience, highlighting Frazier’s critical role in contemporary art and activism.

9. Light Line at the Guggenheim Museum, New York City

Light Line will be on display from May 17 to Sept. 29. It features a pivotal exploration of Jenny Holzer’s influential practice, focusing on her iconic text-based works. This exhibition offers an in-depth look at how Holzer utilizes words and ideas in public spaces to provoke thought and engage communities. Known for her bold use of language displayed across LED signs and other media, Holzer’s phrases often reflect on truth, power, and societal issues, encouraging viewers to reconsider their perspectives and environment. The show will include a wide range of her works, from early street posters to later large-scale installations, highlighting Holzer’s unique ability to harness the power of text to influence public discourse and connect deeply with a broad audience.

10. Mickalene Thomas: All About Love at The Broad, Los Angeles 

From May 25 to Sept. 29, The Broad presents a powerful exploration of Black women, beauty, and cultural identity through the distinctive lens of Mickalene Thomas. This exhibition features Thomas’ bold, textured artworks that utilize rhinestones, acrylic, and enamel to create complex visions that challenge and redefine traditional concepts of femininity and beauty. Her pieces vividly celebrate Black women’s lives and forms, often incorporating elements from popular culture and art history to question societal and visual perceptions of the female body and personal identity. This exhibit promises a visual feast and a profound commentary on the intersectionality of race, gender, and sexuality, highlighting Thomas’s role in contemporary art as both a celebrator and critic of Black female identity.

Each exhibition offers unique insights into various artistic movements and individual practices, reflecting the rich cultural tapestry of contemporary and historical art scenes.​