dorm room in article about securing your possessions and renters insurance

How To Protect Your Possessions When You’re At College

Are you planning on going to college this year? You'll need to invest in renters insurance to keep your items safe. Find out more top tips here.

Heading off to college is one of the most exciting times of your life. This is where you will head out into the world, meet new people and get a start on the career that you have always dreamed of. Of course, going to college is not always stress-free, as there are plenty of things that you need to think about. How will you get to class? Where will you live? Do you need renters insurance?

In this article, we are going to look at some of the ways that you can protect your possessions when you are at college. Keep reading to find out more.

Get Renters Insurance

The first thing that should be on your list when you are setting up your new home at college is renters insurance. Sure, you might want to spend some time figuring out how you are going to decorate your place, but don’t forget to invest in insurance.

Renters insurance can protect your property and the stuff inside of it. What about that brand new laptop that your brought to college? Lemonade Renters insurance can protect this and your other possessions, so make sure to get some before you go. This is especially important if you are not going to be staying in the college dorms, because if you live in an apartment, you’re responsible for what is inside.

Sharing A Room?

One of the most common kinds of living situations that college students in the U.S. find themselves in is shared dorms. This means that you’ll be sharing a room with another student and usually, in the beginning, you won’t know them at all. This is why it is so important that you are protecting your possessions while you are not around, because, in an absolute worst case scenario, they could take them from you.

There are a few ways that you can do this including securing your possessions with a lock, or keeping your expensive items hidden when you leave.

Lock Your Doom Room

One of the great things about college is that everyone likes to make friends and spend a lot of time together. This means a lot of going in and out of each other’s rooms, which can be fun. Of course, if you are letting your friends come in and out, there is a danger that strangers could come in and steal something from you. This is why you need to make sure that you are locking your door when you are not there to look after your things.

If you are planning on staying in a shared dorm room, you should discuss this with your roommate. Make sure that they are aware that you don’t want strangers there when you are not around. They should respect your opinion as they will want to protect their own possessions as well.

Final Verdict

If you are heading off to college this year then you need to make sure that you are protecting your possessions. Think about what you are planning on bringing with you and make the right decisions. You will need to invest in renters insurance as this can cover you for a number of different events. Follow all of the advice that we have given you in this article and you should be just fine.