in an article about getting your degree, a person with a graduation cap

How To Find the Right Degree — A Learner’s Guide

There are so many different paths that you can take.

Deciding which type of degree to pursue is exciting, but it’s a major life decision that can sometimes feel overwhelming. Luckily, there are a variety of degree options and alternatives to help you create an educational path that fits your lifestyle and professional goals.

Certificate programs and bachelor’s degrees are two popular paths that students choose. Knowing a little about them and how they can fit into your life or career path will help you make a good choice. Take a look at the options below to help you decide the path that’s right for you.

Certifications

If you’re looking for an alternative to a four-year degree, certificate programs are ideal for someone focused on a new career or working in a new industry or profession. Common in the tech sector, medical field and business world, these are specialized training programs that allow learners to gain a new skill set.

For the most part, certificate programs normally take one year or less to complete, and they’re cost-effective and generally less expensive than a college diploma program at a university. Here’s the real kicker: They make you more marketable to a potential employer, too.

Does learning a new skill set that you can apply to your current job interest you? Are you looking to save time and money? If you’re leaning toward “yes” to any of these questions, then a certificate program may be the right fit for you.

Bachelor’s Degree

A bachelor’s degree is a four-year degree program. Students can study a range of subjects, from psychology to business. A student who earns a bachelor’s degree in business (or any bachelor’s degree) can use the degree to pursue a variety of careers. The difference between a bachelor’s degree and a certificate program is time and cost. Bachelor’s degrees take more time to complete and, because of that, will cost you more in the long run. Indeed, this is an ideal path for someone who has the extra time and financial resources.

Online Bachelor’s Degree

Thanks to technological advancements in online education, more colleges are offering online classes, which make it easier for students to earn a bachelor’s degree. From a bachelor’s in advertising to undergraduate business degrees, many majors are offered online.

Online classes allow a learner to stay in the workforce and pursue their career goals. Online learning also benefits people with family obligations and unique circumstances, too. It gives them the flexibility to attend class and complete assignments on their own time. It’s a real lifesaver for people who want to pursue their educational dreams.

Decide Which Path is Right for You

Take a look at these three options — certificate programs, bachelor’s degrees, and online bachelor’s degrees. Write down the pros and cons of each option as it applies to your life, goals, obligations and family needs. You’ll most likely discover the right answer and make a logical decision as to which path is right for you. Deciding which degree to pursue is exciting, so remember, there are plenty of options that cater to your individual needs and goals. Good luck!