Picture of boats in Copenhagen harbor

Study Breaks in Denmark: Things to Do as an International Student

So, you’re on your semester break in Denmark, and you can’t think of anything interesting to do.

You’re lazing around all day watching shows on Netflix thanks to your good internet connection. And while you feel like making a plan to do something, you don’t have the faintest clue where to start as you’re not a local.

That’s why this guide is for international students who are struggling to come up with a plan during the study break. Here are some fun activities that you can do during your free time on the weekends or between the semesters:

• Exploring Copenhagen’s Iconic Sights

If you’ve been under a lot of study pressure since you arrived in Denmark, you might have missed out on the sights in Denmark’s capital, Copenhagen. It’s a city that’s steeped in history and cultural sights.

If you’re looking to do something, why not take a leisurely stroll along the Nyhavn Canal? There’s also the famed Little Mermaid statue. An amazing time also awaits in the Tivoli Gardens, which is regarded as one of the oldest amusement parks in the world.

• Biking Adventures: Embrace the Danish Way

This is something that you might have noticed as a student when you first arrived in the bicycling culture in Denmark. Cyclists have dedicated lanes to get around, which makes it a safe and enjoyable experience.

But aside from just being a mode of transportation, biking is also a great outing plan if you want to take in the beautiful sights at a slower pace. Explore at the speed that you want and find places hidden behind some corners.

• Cultural Immersion: Museums and Galleries

If you want to make a conventional plan to visit famous places, there are different museums and art galleries to choose from. By spending a day in the National Museum, you can learn all about Denmark’s rich history.

If you have a love for art, you would likely enjoy visiting the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, located on the shore of the Øresund Sound in Humlebæk. There’s also the Glyptoteket, where you can find a mix of art, architecture and sculptures.

• Canal Tour: Copenhagen from a Different Perspective

If you think you’ve seen all that Copenhagen has to offer, then a canal tour might help change that perspective. You can cruise through the canals that you’ve seen in postcards to get a new view of the city’s landmarks and neighborhoods. It’s a peaceful and serene experience.

• Aarhus Adventure: Exploring Denmark’s Second City

When you’ve had enough of Copenhagen, and you want to try visiting a new place, then Aarhus is a good choice for that. The largest city in Denmark houses the ARoS Aarhus Art Museum, where you can find an array of contemporary art pieces. If you need a breath of fresh air, make sure to explore the Aarhus Botanical Garden for a taste of something new.

• Viking Heritage: Journeys into the Past

Denmark is also famous for its Viking heritage. You can go on a journey into the past with the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde. There’s also the Viking Center in Ribe that offers an immersive insight into Viking life. These are great options when you want to go back in time to experience the rich heritage and culture.

• Culinary Delights: Embrace Danish Cuisine

You are likely to work up quite an appetite while exploring the various cities in Denmark, so be sure to indulge yourself in some delicious local cuisine. Denmark has some tasty traditional dishes that you should try if you haven’t already. Among them, there are dishes like smørrebrød (open-faced sandwiches), æbleskiver (round pancakes) and Danish pastries from local bakeries.

Making the Most of Your Study Break in Denmark

If you want to make the most of your free time you should opt for the perfect blend of cultural exploration and relaxation. Engage with the vibrant surroundings and immerse yourself in local experiences.

Taking some time off can help you return to your studies with renewed energy. It also builds up the anticipation of what you should see next. Enjoy every moment of your study break, and make it an unforgettable part of your international student journey in Denmark.