In an article about becoming a table games dealer, a dealer lays out poker chips.

What Does a Table Games Dealer Do?

Without table games dealers, we wouldn’t have the games we know and love today.

Table games are one of the most popular casino games and include classic games such as blackjack and baccarat. The table game dealers are there to control the game, ensure that everyone gets paid out correctly and (depending on the game) act as an opponent for the player.

What Are Table Games

Table games are casino games played at a felted table and operated by one or more dealers. They often include a deck of cards, but can consist of other equipment such as craps dice or a roulette wheel and ball. Although the house rules may differ, you can play table games online or at a brick-and-mortar casino. Here are some of the most popular table games.

• Blackjack – Arguably the most iconic table game, blackjack is a card game where players try to get their cards to total as close to 21 as possible without going over. If a player can beat the dealer’s hand, they double their money, but if they don’t, they lose their bet.
  • Roulette – This table game isn’t played with cards but is instead played with a wheel and ball. A betting area outlines all the possible results of the roulette spin, and players make their bets before the game begins. The dealer then spins the ball and the wheel and pays out the players depending on where the ball lands.
  • Baccarat – This is another card game where players must try to beat the dealer. However, players must use their cards to get as close to 9 as possible versus 21 as in blackjack. 

Responsibilities/Duties

The table game dealer’s job is to ensure that the game runs smoothly without error. There are several responsibilities that a table game dealer has:

• Interacting with customers at the table.
  • Overseeing the game at their assigned table.
  • Managing casino chips.
  • Managing the bets from players and ensuring that everyone is paid out correctly.
  • Shuffling decks of cards by hand or by using an automated shuffler.
  • Playing hands for the house, throwing craps dice and spinning the roulette wheel.
  • Preventing cheating at the table and ensuring that the game is as fair as possible.

As you can see, it’s quite a lot to handle for one person!

Requirements/Skills

Due to the somewhat complicated nature of managing table games, you need certain requirements and skills to get a job as a table game dealer. While you don’t need to go to university and get a Ph.D., you should have completed a decent level of schooling, whether that’s strong GCSE results or A-Levels. Dealers should also have a strong understanding of casino games, as they’ll have to enforce the rules in high-pressure situations. They should also have good interpersonal skills for dealing with customers, and strong analytical and mathematical skills to ensure that the game runs smoothly and players are paid out correctly. Dealers must also have good physical skills, as they stand for the duration of their shifts.

How To Become a Table Games Dealer

If you want to become a table games dealer, there are a couple of avenues you can take. You can apply to a casino that does in-house training. If you’re able to show enough competency and an ability to learn during the interview, they will hire you and teach you to become a table games dealer. Another option is to enroll yourself in a training program. Many places offer courses in casino dealing, and if you can complete this training program, you will become a much more attractive applicant to potential employers. The most common level of education for a casino dealer in the US is a bachelor’s degree; around 42% of dealers have this qualification, but it is not a prerequisite for working at a casino. 

Conclusion 

Being a table games dealer is hard work. There’s a lot to manage on a minute-by-minute basis, and it requires good interpersonal and analytical skills for the game to run smoothly. Without table games dealers, we wouldn’t have the games we know and love today.