In an article about starting a small business, a cloth banner that reads "we're open."

7 Business Ideas You Can Start at a Low Cost

Running a great business can be challenging. But hard work and the right mindset can lead to personal success and fulfillment.

Starting your own business is an excellent way to gain income, whether full-time or as a side hustle. It’s also a perfect way to contribute to your local community, as small businesses are a significant part of the national economy.

Before you start running a business, you must settle on an idea. Keep reading for eleven small business ideas you can explore depending on your interests and resources.

Online Business Ideas

Online business models are an excellent option when exploring low-cost business ideas. You can run many options in your home if you have an internet connection. 

These home business ideas can also help you save on overhead costs. You don’t have to spend money on an office space, interior design or a physical storefront. Still, you can expand and scale your operations whenever possible.

1. Start an Online Store

E-commerce is one of the most popular and fastest-growing industries today. In 2021, retail e-commerce sales reached $5.2 trillion in the US alone.

There are various ways to break into this industry, as you can explore many business opportunities. You can sell nearly anything online; there are many different ways to do it. You can start a dropshipping business or sell T-shirts and other items from your home.

You can create your own website powered by WordPress and e-commerce platforms like Shopify and WooCommerce. Online marketplaces like eBay, Etsy, Amazon and Facebook Marketplace are also great for beginners.

2. Social Media Management

Many brands and organizations have used social media to reach their target audiences. It is one of the most preferred channels for self-promotion due to its relatively low cost compared to its potential returns.

If you consider yourself social media savvy, why not try social media marketing or management? You can start by building a portfolio. You can manage social media accounts for small business owners, then use your experience to gain more clients.

3. Virtual Assistant Services

Virtual assistants help other successful businesses and executives manage daily tasks. Other growing ventures can benefit from your services if you enter the industry.

Your tasks could vary depending on the type of business or organization you work for. You can also create a niche and only work with clients within a specific industry, especially if you have the qualifications.

4. Freelance Writing, Designing or Web Development

Creative individuals can establish their freelancing practice and work from home. Whether you’re a freelance writer, blogger, graphic designer, or web developer, there are several ways to earn money while being self-employed.

Platforms like Fiverr, LinkedIn and Upwork are excellent places to start when looking for gigs and advertising your services. You can also rely on your professional networks to find potential clients and partners.

5. Blogging and Content Creation

Influencers and content creators have gained popularity recently, especially on social media. These platforms have proven viable for some people. Many influencers create content full-time and earn a lot of money through brand deals or affiliate marketing.

While these influencers’ lifestyles might seem attractive, building a significant following can take time. If you want to explore this career path, it might help to start by doing it part-time. Relying on it as your sole source of income from the get-go can be risky, as the industry involves a lot of luck.

Service-Based Business Ideas

If your skills lie more on the practical side, you can also start a service-oriented business with little money. Companies, organizations and individuals all have routinary, day-to-day needs with which they need assistance.

Here are some business ideas for services you can offer potential clients, which you can grow through traditional marketing or by word-of-mouth.

6. Cleaning Services

Everyone needs to maintain clean surroundings to stay physically and mentally healthy. However, cleaning up after one’s household or business can be challenging for various reasons

To address this need, you could start a cleaning business for homeowners or businesses. You could initially invest in some essential cleaning products and materials at a low cost, then upgrade your equipment as your business grows.

7. Pet-Sitting Services

Many households treat their pets as family. However, not all places allow people to bring their pets with them, especially when traveling.

If you love animals and know how to care for them, try being a pet sitter or dog walker. A pet-sitting or dog-walking business is an excellent way to help these people while earning some cash. These business ideas also have relatively low startup costs.

Start Your Small Business With Confidence

Running a great business can be challenging. But hard work, the right mindset and proper management can lead to personal success and fulfillment. Make sure to assess your options and resources to make sound business decisions.

1. At Future Connect, we understand the crucial role of finance and accounting in managing a company’s finances, and that’s why we offer tailored Corporate Accountancy Courses to meet the unique needs of businesses in private and public sectors, including government and non-profit organizations.