Will the Gods Give Us ‘Pitch Perfect 4’? Only Time Will Tell

Hints have been dropped, but the cast and crew have been tight-lipped about the new film.

Although the early 2000s payed homage to “The High School Musical” franchise, the years 2012 to 2017 were dominated by the a cappella series “Pitch Perfect.” The first “Pitch Perfect” film, released in 2012, follows a college student named Beca, played by Anna Kendrick, as she joins an a cappella group. Fans of the vocal form enjoyed the films not just for their music though, but for the outrageous humor of cast members like Rebel Wilson as “fat Amy.”

After the first film’s success, producers released “Pitch Perfect 2” in 2015 and “Pitch Perfect 3” in 2017, much to fans’ delight. The second film featured the thriving a cappella group Pentatonix, while the third film starred celebrities such as DJ Khaled, Moises Aires and Ruby Rose.

To say the least, “Pitch Perfect 4” has every reason to make its way to theaters around the country. However, while fans are itching for the series’ latest iteration, the rumor mill has had little to say about the film’s production. In a conversation with Vanity Fair last year, Rebel Wilson gave fans a small glimmer of hope. “There’s some things in the works,” said Wilson. “All us Bellas love each other.”

Because of her statement, moviegoers are hopeful that they might soon have the opportunity to see a fourth installment of this series. If so, here are the three things that they will most be looking forward to.

This picture, from Rebel Wilson’s Instagram, is the biggest hint so far that “Pitch Perfect 4” is a possibility. (Image via Instagram)

More Bella Puns

“Pitch Perfect” is a fun, theatrical film experience, but it’s also hilarious. With its crew though, could you expect anything else?

Of all the members in the Barden Bellas, Anna Camp’s character Audrey takes a cappella the most seriously, and her gravitas lends itself to some of the best humor in films. Some of her best phrases include, “A ca-scuse me?” “Well, well, well, look who’s in treble!” “O-M-a-ca-G!” and “Let’s talk-apella.”

Most of the phrases relate to “a ca,” “pitch” or have some relation to the a cappella group. Fans love the corny jokes, which so perfectly capture the good-natured humor of the series, and would jump at the opportunity to hear some fresh ones.

A Ca-Romance

Most “Pitch Perfect” fans, specifically college students, want some romance in their film diet to balance out the humor. In the first film, sparks flew between Beca and Jesse, played by Skylar Astin, but the latest installments were romantically wanting.

In “Pitch Perfect 2,” Amy and Bumper’s romance was a key plot point, but it was nowhere to be found in the next film. Their dynamic was a bit bumpy, which led to some delectable drama, a component of the series that I’m sure fans would love to see more of.

Should “Pitch Perfect” continue in the coming years, fans of characters like Cynthia Rose, played by Ester Dean, Emily, played by Hailee Steinfeld, and Lily, played by Hana Mae Lee, would certainly welcome they’re getting into a romantic entanglement or two.

More a Ca-titions?

The Bella crew has traveled outside of the United States, walking the streets of Copenhagen and Australia. In 2020, the ICCA will be held in Milan, Italy, so that might be the prime year for the fourth film. The Bellas could enjoy a cup of gelato before competing against new or returning rivals.

If anything could make up your mind about a Barden Bella reunion, the picture below from Rebel Wilson’s Instagram page can. Hopefully those four fingers they are extending are all the confirmation needed.