Once Upon a Time

9 Questions That Should Be Answered Before ‘Once Upon a Time’ Ends

Although 'Once Upon a Time' has lasted seven seasons, fans are hungry to know the fates of their favorite fairy tale characters.

It was announced on Feb. 6 that the sci-fi fantasy-drama, “Once Upon a Time” will end on May 18 after seven magical seasons. Created by Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis, “Once Upon a Time” tells the story of a bold new imaginative world where fairytales and the modern world collide.

Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison), daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming, was thrown into the fairytale world after her 10-year-old son, Henry Mills, who she put up for adoption, showed up at her door and told her she was the daughter of two fairytale characters.

After much skepticism, Swan was convinced her son was right and moved with him to Storybrooke, Maine. There, none of the fairytale characters knew who they were because The Evil Queen put a curse on everyone in their world (The Enchanted Forrest) with magic.

Thereafter, she maliciously moved them to Storybrooke with different identities and no magic. Swan was the savior who broke the curse, reuniting families and loved ones and returning magic to the land.

When the curse was broken, the adventures and struggles began. Swan met countless fairytale characters and went on many adventures in both Storybrooke and different magical realms.

Throughout the story, Swan was reunited with her first love and then had him taken away again. She had many villains after her because they knew she was the savior and had very powerful magic, but eventually got her happy ending — her family reunited and true love.

At the end of Season 6, Swan married Captain Hook (Colin O’Donoghue) and the rest of the characters got their happy endings. However, the series was rebooted in Season 7 with grown-up Henry as the main character, and a mostly new cast due to many main characters leaving.

Season 7 started on a familiar note with Henry’s long-lost daughter, Lucy, showing up at his door. On his doorstep, she told him that they need the truest believer to save the new fairytale land, called Hyperion Heights, from Cinderella’s step-sister, Drizella; the new villain had cursed the characters.

Cinderella is Lucy’s mother, but while Lucy is convinced Henry is her dad, nothing has been confirmed yet. Although Henry was skeptical, he eventually went with Lucy yet remained conflicted as he had no idea why he was meant to come to Hyperion Heights.

Now that the stage is set, Henry and the remaining main characters are planning to take down Drizella and Lady Tremaine to keep them from making their lives miserable.

Will the town gain their memories back and remember their fairytale counterparts, or will they forever live their cursed lives? You never know what curveball will be thrown at you.

There was a lot of criticism and backlash for Season 7 — the ratings went down because of the reboot, which eventually led to the show’s end.

With a little over 10 episodes left, there are still a lot of unanswered questions that Oncers want to be resolved and certain ways they think the show should end.

Fans are itching to know about CaptainSwan’s little bundle of fairy-tale joy (Image via The Girly Nerd)

What are the details on CaptainSwan’s baby?

CaptainSwan, the couple name of Captain Hook and Emma Swan, revealed they were having a baby at the beginning of Season 7. However, it was mentioned only once and fans never heard about it again.

Many fans are highly anticipating this event; by the end of the series, audiences expect to see the baby and know all the adorable details about it.

Where did Snow and Charming go?

When the reboot happened, the producers did a great job at explaining what happened to the main characters that wouldn’t appear in Season 7. Everyone’s story was wrapped up, except for Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Prince Charming (Josh Dallas).

Strangely enough, they have yet to appear in the season. Fans are excitedly speculating on what happened to the two main characters.

What is Mr. Gold’s first name?

Mr. Gold (Robert Carlyle), now Weaver in Hyperion Heights, never had a first name, except for his Enchanted Forrest character, Rumpelstiltskin.

This is in line with the original fairytale of Rumpelstiltskin, where his power came from people not knowing his name. Yet, it is still something fans have pondered on for seven seasons and would be interested in having resolved.

Who is Lily’s dad?

Lily is Maleficent’s daughter, and although the plot was not crucial to the series, Oncers never found out who Lily’s father was. The only hint fans received was that Lily was conceived when Maleficent was in dragon form.

Some thought it was Merlin, others thought maybe it was The Dragon. Although no one knows for sure, it would be interesting if the creators addressed this mystery.

Will Rumpelstiltskin ever turn fully good?

Rumpelstiltskin is known as the Dark One, which means he has dark magic and is the most dangerous villain in the series. After marrying Belle (Emilie de Ravin), Rumple changed his ways and became the man Belle knew he could become. Interestingly, he still had the dagger stating that he was the Dark One. Can he ever get rid of the darkness fully and become the hero we all know he is?

Are Dorothy Gale and Red Riding Hood still a Couple?

You read that right. The first LGBT+ couple in the series found love in Season 6 and people haven’t heard about them since. There was one whole episode based on their love and how they found each other. Why wasn’t there a follow-up telling fans how their relationship had grown?

Regina deserves happiness in the face of the many hardships she endured throughout the series (Image via giphy)

Will Regina get her happy ending?

Regina Mills, aka The Evil Queen, found true love with Robin Hood, but he was soon killed off by her sister’s boyfriend, Hades.

The Evil Queen has been through so many ups and downs, from plotting against Snow White for years in the Enchanted Forrest, losing boyfriends as well as her parents and eventually losing Henry when Anastasia’s curse hit the town. Ultimately, Regina is a kind-hearted person that deserves her happily ever after.

What is happening in Storybrooke?

Henry is in a different cursed realm with his Regina, Rumple and the alternate universe. Although there are still characters living in Storybrooke day after day, fans have no idea what is happening to them.

Who is the new mayor now that Regina is in a different realm? Is there still magic? How is Emma’s pregnancy going? Hopefully, the questions are answered before the series finale.

How will the series end?

Are all the main characters going to come back? Will Henry return to Storybrooke like nothing ever happened? In contrast, will Henry remain in the new land? Most importantly, will we get the rest of the answers we have been waiting for? With Horowitz and Kitsis as producers, anything is possible.

The producers revealed there would be a return to Storybrooke and some original characters will come back before the final show airs, so maybe most of the answered questions will be wrapped up.

As sad as it is to see “Once Upon a Time” end, the show has run its course. Season 6 would have been the perfect way to end it, but it was interesting to see the new twist on it. Fans are hopeful they will get all the answers and magic they wanted. However, always remember “all magic comes with a price, dearie!”

Brittany Sims, Temple University

Brittany Sims

Temple University