Pam and Jim from The Office

How Has ‘The Office’ U.S. Managed To Stay so Popular

The beloved American version of the British classic is still beloved by fans today.

American comedy shows that are inspired by a British program often fail miserably and people would look to the UK’s best betting offers to bet their house on an American remake failing. There are very few examples of British show remakes making the cut, apart from “Shameless,” which might even outdo the UK version in many people’s eyes. Considering the shocking attempts to create U.S. versions of “The Inbetweeners,” “Fawlty Towers,” “Peep Show” and “IT Crowd,” “The Office” should have failed.

However, with nine seasons, 201 episodes, and a 9/10 rating on IMDb, the show that ended in 2013 is still as popular today as it has ever been. So how is it still relating to the next generation of viewers?

“The Office” Beginnings

It is a hugely shocking thing that nearly 10 years since the show ended, new viewers are watching, especially considering the trouble the show had in getting off the ground. It struggled to convince people that it was a viable alternative to the massive fan favorite version written by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

It was not until the new generation was downloading episodes from iTunes and giving the show the massive boost it so desperately needed to convince the network that the American remake was a worthwhile and viable option.

It wasn’t just the downloading generation helping and the move away from network and cable TV. Steve Carrell was the star of “The 40-Year-Old Virgin”; he was a huge success, and he brought many viewers of the film to the fantastic TV show.

The rest, they say, is history.

Why do people love it?

The answer obviously depends on each viewer. However, in a general sense, there are a few reasons why people are streaming “The Office” so much, getting to Season 9 and starting on Season 1 immediately after. The simple reason is that it is funny and people just love humor. But it is not just the main character Michael Scott, who makes audiences laugh, but the entire ensemble.

That leads to the love of characters. There are so many to choose from in the world of Dunder-Mifflin and it is easy to relate to many of the workers if you have worked in an office environment before.

Another reason why people love it is because of escapism. It is easy to turn on Netflix and just stream endless hours of cooky ideas from Michael Scott (Steve Carell), the pranks between Jim (John Krasinski) and Dwight (Rainn Wilson), or what the loveable Pam (Jenna Fischer) is doing with her life. Many young fans have even expressed their love for the idea of working in a white-collar American workplace due to their obsession with ”The Office” U.S.

Should it have been “canceled”?

With younger generations taking a more skeptical view of older comedies, some even “canceling” shows and films that could be considered problematic, “The Office” has avoided such a fate in spite of some of its non-PC jokes. Because the lovable buffoon Michael Scott makes the jokes in a harmless way, the show avoids being “canceled”.

It is also helped by the fact that cast members have even looked back at “The Office” and commented on some of the poor choices that were made.

Yet the show is one of the most streamed shows on Netflix. It is certainly still accepted and relatable for new audiences who are picking up this true masterclass in comedy.

Will it be rebooted?

Because of its popularity, some people want Greg Daniels and his crew to bring back “The Office” in some sort of capacity. However, it would be a risk given the show was on a decline in its final season.

It would be better to leave it where it is and not do the cliche thing — American reboots ruining British shows.