Illustration by Lee Ortiz, University of Texas at San Antonio

Love for Lucy Runs Deep in “50 First Dates”

For the characters in the beloved 2000s rom-com, nothing can get in the way of their love for Lucy. Not even her damaged temporal lobe.

This article discusses how the film “50 First Dates” demonstrates the true meaning of unconditional love. 

Love is patient, and love is kind. Few films have mastered this concept better than “50 First Dates.” Released in 2004, the romantic comedy perfectly highlights the lengths that people will go for love. The heartwarming plot combined with the alluring Hawaiian setting makes for a cozy rom-com that will leave you grateful for your loved ones (and your short-term memory).. 

“50 First Dates” follows the story of womanizer Henry Roth (played by Adam Sandler). He is notorious for hooking up with tourists to avoid having to make any sort of commitment. It isn’t until he is charmed by a local woman named Lucy Whitmore (played by Drew Barrymore) that he considers breaking his rule. However, when he is aggressively shut down by Lucy the day after they hit it off, he discovers that a devastating car accident rendered her with no short-term memory. Lucy lives the same day every day, so Henry makes it his goal to continuously woo her in creative ways. 

Looking at Sandler’s goofy humor and borderline crude jokes that typically make it into his movies, it’s hard to imagine that he would play the main character in a rom-com in such a sincere and sentimental manner. While the silly jokes still weave their way into the film, he captures the hearts of viewers as we see his buzzing chemistry with Barrymore and his character’s dedication to love. 

Even though Henry’s conquest started as a bet with the chef at a diner aiming to prove he could easily get Lucy to agree to go out with him again, it turned into an immense devotion to demonstrating his love. The promise and patience of making someone fall in love with you every single day is no easy feat, yet Henry does so without complaint. 

He welcomes the challenge because, to him, it isn’t one. When you love someone, the desire to do things for them becomes instinctive. Their happiness makes you happy, and Henry exemplifies just that in extreme ways.

Many people would run for the hills or even take advantage of Lucy’s condition, but Henry understands and sees Lucy for more than just her injury. He sees her bubbly personality, her good-hearted nature and her love for others and wants to give her everything, even if she won’t necessarily remember. 

Going even further than just romance, the sentimental values of love are embedded in every aspect of the film. Lucy’s father Marlin (played by Blake Clark) and brother Doug (played by “Lord of the Rings” actor Sean Astin) tirelessly live the same day over and over again for Lucy to protect her from the jarring reality that she would encounter without them. They watch the same football game, the same movie, and eat the same pineapple upside-down cake every single night. 

As soon as Lucy is asleep, they fall into a routine of readying the house for the next day. The two of them paint the inside of the garage white every night to give Lucy a fresh canvas for her art, Doug refills her shampoo with just enough to match the exact level that it was on the day of the accident, and they have dozens of copies of the same newspaper. Their protection runs deep and is unwavering. 

Lucy’s immediate family aren’t the only people dedicated to watching out for her. Every morning, Lucy has breakfast at the same diner, which is where Henry first meets her. The waitress and the chef immediately jump in to protect Lucy, even going so far as to threaten to chop Henry with a meat cleaver if he hurts her. 

Lucy has an entire band of people in her corner making sure she still gets to enjoy her life. Rather than dump her at a facility so they don’t have to take care of her, Doug and Marlin selflessly give up their lives to support Lucy. In fact, the idea of passing her to a caretaker doesn’t even cross their minds. It isn’t until Lucy adamantly insists on living at an institution designed for people with head injuries that they oblige. 

While living in the facility, Lucy gets ample time to work on her art, where her muse is none other than Henry. Even though she doesn’t know who he is or why she’s painting him, their connection is so strong that it infiltrates her damaged temporal lobe. Henry’s love and dedication to her were powerful enough to make it through her unforgiving condition.  

While there are a few plot holes when simply looking at the logistics of Lucy’s condition, the feel-good themes make it easy to overlook. Yes, a fictional condition that wipes your memory clean when you sleep might not be realistic, but it is entertaining and provides a way for Henry to show his devotion. 

The biggest instance of Henry’s unconditional love doesn’t stem from his tacky pick-up lines using waffles, or his tactics of pretending to need a jump start on his car. The pivotal scene that demonstrates just how much Henry is determined to keep Lucy happy and in his life is the final scene. Lucy wakes up in a space unfamiliar to her and pushes a tape labeled “Good morning Lucy” into the VCR next to her. The tape is one that Henry made and regularly updates to fit the current state of their lives now that they are married. When Lucy finally emerges from the bedroom, she finds herself on the top of a fishing boat in the middle of Alaska – and she is greeted by her and Henry’s child.  

Agreeing to a life of constantly reminding your wife that she is, in fact, your wife and mother to your child is nothing short of draining and demanding. Despite the mass amounts of effort needed to be put into their lives, Henry perseveres and doesn’t give up on love.  

“50 First Dates” is a testament to how far people will go for love, romantic or not. Despite having been almost 20 years since its release, the film holds themes that are timeless. It’s a reminder that love knows no bounds. There is nothing that you wouldn’t do for the person you love, even if it means living the same day over and over again. 

Christine Bardos, Santa Clara University

Christine Bardos

Santa Clara University
English, Minor in Creative Writing

"Hi! I’m Christine Bardos. I'm a student at Santa Clara University majoring in English and minoring in Creative Writing. When I don’t have my nose in a book, I love to hike, bake, and travel."