The image, which is split into two sides, displays the characters of 'South Park' on the left and the characters of 'Family Guy' on the right.

Family Guy vs. South Park: Which One Is Better?

These award-winning TV shows have attracted devout fanbases thanks to their humor, celebrity cameos, and social critiques.

TikTok has become a platform for users to share clips of their favorite films and television shows. At the beginning of the year, “Family Guy” took over the platform. Whenever users opened the app, videos related to the show would appear. To avoid copyright issues, users placed clips from the show above random gameplay footage. In other videos, users lip-synced along to dialogue from the show to exaggerate their situations in life. Popular sounds included Lois Griffin screaming her husband Peter Griffin’s name and Chris Griffin saying, “Do you, or do you not feel bonita?” A month later, users began to post clips from “South Park.” These videos, however, trended for longer than “Family Guy” videos. People realized that “South Park” is more humorous and intellectual because it exaggerates society’s reactions to current events. Nevertheless, others still prefer “Family Guy” due to its half-witted characters and usage of celebrities.

“Family Guy” focuses on the Griffins, a dysfunctional American family, and their adventures in the fictional city of Quahog, Rhode Island. The show’s humor relies on flashback sequences and pop culture references. The purpose of these flashbacks is to humorously visualize the contrast between a character’s present situation and their previous circumstances. For instance, the Emmy-nominated episode “PTV” is full of ridiculous flashbacks that add to its humor. The episode centers on the Federal Communications Commission censoring all profane and explicit aired content. Their censorship angers Peter, who attempts to make his own television station to produce uncensored content. Before this, Lois forces Peter to watch their daughter Meg’s high school play, though he would rather watch the Emmys. Peter compares his situation to the 16th birthday party he had with actor Jake Ryan; the show cuts to a shot of the two characters staring at each other over a birthday cake. Aside from his brown sideburns, flashback Peter looks the same as his present-day version. As both men lean in for a kiss, Ryan throws Peter onto the floor, rips off his shirt, and tackles Peter to make love with him.

This flashback is just one of many similar sequences in this episode alone. While these jokes are initially funny, many viewers find they become unnecessary. The flashback format becomes old-fashion, it drags down the pacing and it doesn’t play a huge role in the main storyline. Peter’s flashback to his 16th birthday party has no relation to his desire to watch the Emmys or his motives for creating a television station. Though the show’s flashbacks are often random, some viewers continue to like them because they enjoy watching the characters being idiotic. Peter is a childish person who will do anything to prove a point. In this case, Peter builds a huge television satellite on the roof of his house to make and distribute his own uncensored programs. The episode suggests that censorship in the media prevents people from having authentic discussions about the censored subject matter. However, if viewers dislike the comedic style of “Family Guy,” they may be more interested in “South Park.”

“South Park” focuses on the friendship of four children: Stan Marsh, Kyle Brofolvaski, Eric Cartman and Kenny McCormick. The children live in the town of South Park, where they humorously experience real-life societal issues. Unlike “Family Guy,” the show satirizes socially relevant topics to produce its main storyline. “South Park” humor is similar to the humor of Saturday Night Live. Every episode reflects events that occurred the same week the show aired on television. The show’s team works six days straight to produce one episode each week that makes their audience laugh and reflects relevant real-life situations. “South Park” uses hyperbole and metaphors to exaggerate the humor of their references.

The Emmy-nominated episode, “Black Friday,” satirizes the unofficial holiday of unhinged consumerism and mall discounts. It is the first installment of a three episode story arc. This arc uses the war setting of HBO’s “Game of Thrones” to represent the intensity of shoppers during Black Friday. The episode focuses on the children of South Park training as soldiers to fight to buy Xbox Ones. They all wear medieval knight attire to reflect the “Game of Thrones” setting. However, after the children get into a fight over whether to purchase Xbox Ones or Playstation 4s, the group divides. In order to reunite, they must decide which is the better console. The story also features well-known figures who play a huge role in the conflict, such as Microsoft CEO Bill Gates. These CEOs portray the effects of capitalism, as they capitalize off of the console wars young adults create online. This contrasts with “Family Guy,” which only briefly references celebrities as gags. The message of “Black Friday” suggests that purchasing valuable items doesn’t change a person’s self-worth. After Eric and the other Xbox One supporters win the console war, Eric realizes that winning did nothing for his personal growth. Eric worn the war, but he reveals that he can’t stop thinking about how Bill Gates killed the Sony CEO inside the mall earlier in the episode. He also questions the group that playing video games doesn’t equal fun. Eric brings up a point how they were already having more fun by role playing as medieval characters.

Despite differing opinions about “Family Guy” and “South Park,” they both will live on due to the steady ratings that networks receive every year for them. Both have unique methods of satirizing content. They provide different but equally entertaining viewer experiences and depictions of society. As a result, people will continue to tune in to “Family Guy” and “South Park” because they make them laugh and keep them entertained.

Daniel Guerrero, College of the Canyons

Daniel Guerrero

College of the Canyons
English and Filmmaking