"The Collaboration Contamination" -- Pictured: Howard Wolowitz (Simon Helberg), Bernadette (Melissa Rauch), Amy Farrah Fowler (Mayim Bialik) and Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons). Sheldon and Koothrappali confide in Bernadette when they can't handle Amy and Wolowitz working together. Also, Penny and Leonard learn new tactics for how to deal Sheldon from an unlikely source, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Monday, Oct. 23 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Photo: Michael Yarish/Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. © 2017 WBEI. All rights reserved.

‘The Big Bang Theory’ Is Saying Its Last Bazinga After 12 Seasons

Bazinga ...

After 279 episodes and 12 seasons, “The Big Bang Theory” will be ending in May 2019. The series has become the longest-running sitcom on CBS and has won 10 of its 52 Emmy nominations during its time on air. But not to worry, fans still have 23 more episodes to enjoy with their favorite characters Sheldon, Penny, Bernadette and Howard, according to Kunal Nayyar, also known at Rajesh in the show.

Up until the reboot of “Roseanne,” “The Big Bang Theory” was named TV’s No. 1 comedy, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The show first premiered on Sept. 24, 2007, and Season 12 will premiere on the same date, Sept. 24 at 8 pm. After the Monday airing, the show will then shift to its normal timeslot on Thursdays.

The show was created by Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady and partnered with Warner Bros. Television. On behalf of Chuck Lorre Productions, CBS and Warner Bros., the companies released the following statement regarding the cancellation:

“We are forever grateful to our fans for their support of ‘The Big Bang Theory’ during the past twelve seasons. We, along with the cast, writers, and crew, are extremely appreciative of the show’s success and aim to deliver a final season, and series finale, that will bring ‘The Big Bang Theory’ to an epic creative close.”

The cancellation comes shortly after Jim Parsons, who plays Sheldon, was ready to move on to a new journey, despite a $50 million contract that would secure two more seasons from the actor.

On the other hand, Kaley Cuoco, who plays Penny on the show, was heartbroken after the news of the cancellation was released. In an Instagram (@normancook) post with some cast members, the actress wrote:

“This ride has been a ream come true and as life changing as it gets. No matter when it was going to end, my heart would have always been broken in two. Drowning in tears, we promise to bring you the best season yet. To the fans, our crew, families, Chuck Lorre, Warner Brothers, CBS, and everyone who has supported us for so many years, thank you. We are goin out with a bang.”

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmy2eBbFk6z/?taken-by=normancook

Many dedicated fans are mourning the loss of this comedic sitcom, while others are rejoicing in its cancellation.

Twitter user @Shawnife_ expressed his sadness by asking someone to sing to him.

“One of the very few shows that always made me laugh whenever I felt down, Big Bang Theory is finally ending in season 12.

https://twitter.com/Shawnife_/status/1032605898995367936

Someone sing me “Soft Kitty.” The tweet was followed by a crying emoji.

British author Aaron Gillies, known as @TechnicallyRon on Twitter, gave fans who will miss the show an alternative. He wrote: “If you miss The Big Bang Theory being on TV you can create the sitcom at home by smashing your head with a toaster whilst reading tweets from people that start sentences with ‘actually.’’

Alexis Rogers, Temple University

Alexis Rogers

Temple University
Journalism and Spanish