The new Barbie movie

The Message New “Barbie” Movie is Trying to Send: Detailed Explanation

The highly popular new Barbie movie starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling has been both a hit and a perceived travesty.

If you’d asked us 20 years ago if a movie based on a children’s toy line would become not only one of the highest-grossing films of the decade but also a major societal controversy, we’d have probably laughed the question off. However, 2023’s Barbie film has done both of those things.

Because of that, a lot of people might have the wrong idea, or they might be turned off from a good flick just because of the controversy.

If that sounds like you, or you’re just a bit curious about the film, here’s a breakdown of its actual message.

Let’s get into it!

What’s the Controversy?

If you haven’t been paying attention to the internet or just tend to stay out of drama, you’re probably wondering why a movie based on a children’s toy line is even remotely controversial.

Don’t worry. It’s not over something as fickle as Barbie’s hair color in the film. There’s actually a pretty big reason: Feminine empowerment.

While the new Barbie movie shares the name and theme of the classic toy line, it’s actually a more mature movie that tackles the topic of a woman “living up to” the patriarchy’s standards.

As you can imagine, that made some of the audience extremely ecstatic, and it made the other part of the audience, and those who won’t watch it anyway, practically go hysterical.

What is the Actual Message Behind the Barbie Movie?

If you listen to the naysayers, there are some extremely negative accusations made about the film, such as claims that it is trying to degrade men or expose children to adult messaging.

That’s not what the film does. And this does not come from just an online magazine for students, this claim is supported by dozens of film critics that reviewed this modern piece of art

The film’s focus on feminity is more complex than that. It goes deeper than just saying, “Woman good. Man bad.” In fact, despite being focused on femininity, it actually uses Ken to uplift men and talk about some of the challenges they face, as well.

We’ll give an individual breakdown of each aspect of the film’s message.

The Real World’s Patriarchy can be Overcome

In the film, the Barbieland is just as idyllic as it is in the toy line. From super-fancy cars to excessively luxurious pools, everything you’ve come to know Barbie for since the fifties in the film.

Women, or the Barbies, are the ones that get to go after any pursuit they want, and essentially, it’s matriarchal. The Kens of the Barbie world are mostly found enjoying the beach or working menial jobs.

Barbie then realizes that the real world is the exact opposite, and it triggers an existential crisis.

Throughout the film, Barbie struggles against this and finds her power as a woman to reject the patriarchal standards thrust upon her and be herself, regardless of what the patriarchy wants.

Women Can Set Boundaries with Men

This is one that generated a lot of controversies because it primarily deals with Ken.

Ken is infatuated with Barbie, and he wants a romantic relationship with her. However, Barbie isn’t interested. This leads to some behaviors we’ll talk about shortly, but that’s for another section.

Ken’s demeanor with the situation mostly comes down to being forceful, resorting to tactics, and overall, just thinking that Barbie pretty much has to enter a romantic relationship with him.

One of the major sub-messages of the film is that women are more than capable of setting boundaries with men, and men have to accept those boundaries, unlike depictions of that situation in the past where if you’re a chiseled man with good looks, women are just supposed to fawn over you regardless of their feelings and desires.

This is one message that created a lot of heat for the film with traditionalist men and talking points for that audience, but in the end, the message is simply that women deserve boundaries too, and men have to abide by them.

A basic human right.

Men Are Not Taught to Control Their Emotions

This is another one that has created a lot of controversy, and it has to do with the depiction of Ken. Throughout the film, Ken is depicted as forceful, toxic, and generally not the type of guy you’d want to date.

This is largely because how he cannot process his emotions and handle things appropriately.

In modern society, men do struggle not only to process their emotions themselves but they’re also actively taught that expressing those emotions is wrong, leading to bottled-up aggression, resentment, and a faux sense of confidence.

The vast majority of Ken’s subplot is dedicated to teaching the film’s male audience that it’s okay to handle emotions in a healthy and productive way.

For many, this subplot was seen as intentionally making Ken and other males in the film look stupid and incapable of doing literally anything with themselves.

But upon actually watching the film, the average viewer can clearly see it’s a positive message meant to empower men to overcome social standards.

The Patriarchy Has Tried to Hold Women Back, and It’s Time for Change

Finally, and this ties in with every other message the film has, the patriarchy actively aims to control women and force them into a limited position in society.

Whether it’s laws, social expectations, or anything else, male leadership does its best to actively restrict women.

In the movie, this is depicted in a literal fashion. When Barbie is in the real world and fighting to overcome her existential crisis, the CEO of Mattel (the manufacturer of the Barbie toy line) actually tries to get her back in her box.

The Big Picture

In the end, this masterpiece begs the question, do movies need to be three hours long to portray a strong message to the public? Certainly not!

Overall, the new Barbie movie doesn’t fixate on only one niche message. It combines several intertwined messages with the ultimate goal of empowering women to overcome social norms and pursue the life they want.

While the Barbie movie is controversial, and it’s certainly a unique situation, the actual message of the film is one that makes a significant impact and even goes out of its way to address something that hurts men every day.

At the end of the day, behind all the pinkness, this movie tackles some of the most important topics in today’s society. A definite must-watch!