In an article about the art of tattooing, an Instagram feed shows a tattoo artist sharing their work.

The Art of Tattooing is Finally Reaching its Full Potential

What does the new age of art on social media mean for tattoo artists?

One might think of the oil paintings of Monet, the sculptures of Michelangelo or the drawings of Edgar Degas as examples and mediums of fine art. While these names are recognizable, they are no doubt getting old to students in the present day. Not as often are the fine artists of our current day and age, or even within the last few centuries, considered as influential.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines fine art as “art concerned primarily with the creation of beautiful objects.” The art of tattooing aligns with this definition. It is art that has the potential to enhance the subjective beauty of the human body as a canvas. Tattoos are not typically discussed in these eloquent terms. They hold a reputation as taboo and even representing regret. As of 2014, 76% of employees believed that tattoos and piercings would hurt their chances at job interviews.

Similar to any other fine art, tattooing has a rich history. Until recently, the average artist has succumbed to residing in strip mall shops with an overpowering male presence.

The earliest known evidence of tattoos is based on the 1991 discovery of a frozen “Iceman,” found near the Italian-Austrian border. Carbon dated to be around 5,200 years old, the placement of the tattoos found on the “Iceman” were suggested to be a form of acupuncture meant to relieve joint pain.

Prior to this discovery, there was an abundance of evidence that suggested the ancient Egyptians were the first humans to tattoo. Evidence that dates back to 4000 B.C.E. depicts Egyptian women with tattoos on their thighs in tomb scenes. Three more female mummies were carbon dated to around 2000 B.C.E. It is believed that tattoos around the thighs and breasts functioned as a type of amulet, meant to support women in times of pregnancy and labor. Tattooing is an art form that has deep roots beyond aesthetic. The process was used as physical and mental therapeutic measures, empowering women through motherhood

This practice was lost until the latter half of the 20th century. It became uncommon to see people with inked skin, especially in the West.

As Western cultures began exploring tatooing in recent decades, religious customs have stigmatized the art that developed from such a rich history. Predominant world religions, such as Christianity, Islam and Judaism, frown upon physically marking the body. Bible verse Leviticus 19:28 states, “Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the Lord.” Some Christians and Jews fear getting a tattoo would be a betrayal to God and the body he gave them. Muslims hold a similar perspective, viewing tattoos as “haram” or impure. For as long as the scriptures of these faiths have existed, many forbid the art of tattooing.

It seemed as if the art form found itself at a plateau as the world became more modernized. The art form struggled to develop past scraps of dignity because of the lack of diversity in the artists who have been given the most tolerance to pursue it as a career. As of 2010, 63.31% of tattoo artists were white and 85.84% were male. Cisgender, white men have always had the privilege to dominate every industry, financially and socially. For an artistic industry already struggling to be taken seriously, it was practically impossible for the artistic expressions of minorities to be recognized in the field. The art form had lost the female influence that it once had centuries ago.

Things have shifted in the tattooing industry in recent years, allowing those participating to break free of the stigma and amplify the voices of those overlooked. While people have chosen to get tattoos for a variety of reasons throughout history, the appreciation of the art form is slowly becoming refined.

Back in the 2000s or 2010s, one might’ve chosen to head to the neighborhood tattoo parlor to get a piece memorializing their late dog. Today, one might book months in advance with a particular artist on the other side of the country just to receive a piece from that artist’s flash.

Prior to social media, freelance artists such as tattoo artists did not have the resources to reach as many people as they do now. Using social media, in particular Instagram, as a portfolio,  tattoo artists have created a supportive community to allow each other to grow and reach interested clientele. They are able to create a fan base that they are able to connect with, within their community and across the globe. Because of their fan bases, they are less likely to gear their style towards a certain audience, so their style is left unchanged and authentic. They have finally gained the respect to be considered true fine artists, something they have been denied for so many years.

Not only is the tattoo presence on Instagram artistically and socially beneficial for tattoo artists, but it also presents the flexibility to create a work environment personalized to artists’ needs. Previously, it was most common for artists to work in a shop after graduating from an apprenticeship which was extremely time-consuming, especially if unpaid. Now, artists can be self-taught, work out of their homes and travel when needed. In fact, they may ask their followers where their work is in highest demand so that they can travel and work in that city at the same time.

For female, Queer and BIPOC artists, it can be difficult to find a safe place to work in such a cisgender, heterosexual white male dominated industry. Because so many artists now can work out of their homes or receive enough business to start their own studios, this Instagram movement allows minority tattoo artists to create a safe space for themselves and their clients to appreciate body art. As of 2021, data showed that 57.40% are white and 75.04% are male; a slight improvement from the corresponding statistics previously mentioned. This is an example of how the new wave of tattooing is nurturing the art back into something more diverse and therefore more accessible to all.

Like tattoos being a form of empowerment for pregnant women in ancient Egypt, the art form has finally circled back to being a recognized, empowering expression of art for all minorities.