Bitcoin token on laptop

Hotspot Cities for Bitcoin

Bitcoin's mass adoption has steadily increased over the recent years. Find out the key cities leading in Bitcoin adoption.

While the cities in the developed world were the pioneers of the crypto revolution, Bitcoin’s mass adoption has since infiltrated several parts of the developing economies as well. Bitcoin is now recognized and accepted in multiple cities across six continents, with mainstream institutions driving the adoption.

More than 15,000 businesses in cities worldwide were already accepting Bitcoin payments by 2021. Several companies now allow customers to pay for various goods and services, including groceries, pizza, coffee, cars, real estate, surgeries, air tickets, mobile apps and home appliances with Bitcoin. That indicates its growing acceptance as a transaction currency.

The following are the most Bitcoin-friendly cities in the world.

San Francisco, USA

San Francisco is the United States’ and, perhaps, the world’s tech capital. It is home to some of the most popular crypto trading platforms and leading crypto investors on exchanges like Bitcoin System. Hundreds of merchants across the city, including restaurants, stores, and hotels, also accept Bitcoin. The city center had over 65 Bitcoin ATMs, with more than 437 in the Bay Area as of October 2021.

Vancouver, Canada

Canada also boasts a considerable Bitcoin following, prompting the government to pursue regulatory measures to embrace crypto. The defunct crypto exchange QuadrigaCX, which lost C$180 after its founder’s alleged death, was in Vancouver. This city had more than 220 Bitcoin ATMs and over 50 merchants accepting Bitcoin payments in 2021. The Vancouver-based Waves Coffee House launched the world’s first Bitcoin ATM in 2013.

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Amsterdam is also among the leading crypto-friendly cities and is home to the mining hardware manufacturer Bitfury. Also, it’s the European headquarters of the renowned payment provider BitPay. Several merchants accept Bitcoin in the Dutch capital, including coffee shops, barbers, bike repair shops and restaurants. The city has tens of Bitcoin ATMs, with merchants in neighboring towns such as The Hague, Rotterdam and Utrecht accepting crypto payments.

Tel Aviv, Israel

Tel Aviv is Israel’s financial hub and among the leading cities for startups in the world. It is home to one of the world’s most active Bitcoin communities, The Israel Bitcoin Meetup Group, which boasts over 4,000 members. More than 19 merchants accepted Bitcoin in Tel Aviv as of 2021. It also has over 10 Bitcoin ATMs.

London, UK

London, the United Kingdom’s capital, is home to tens of Bitcoin ATMs, with almost the same number of merchants accepting Bitcoin payments. It’s home to one of the UK’s oldest crypto exchanges, Coinfloor. London also boasts numerous active Bitcoin and crypto communities.

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Ljubljana is Slovenia’s most significant capital city, home to the popular Bitcoin exchange Bitstamp. The city has more than 10 Bitcoin ATMs with about 200 merchants accepting Bitcoin, despite its relatively smaller population of an estimated 289,000 people.

Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA

Portsmouth is a small city on the coast with a surprisingly substantial crypto community. Also known as the “Bitcoin village” by locals, it is home to more than a dozen Bitcoin-friendly merchants, including movie theaters. Portsmouth boasts more than 20 Bitcoin ATMs.

Miami, Florida, USA

Miami is a renowned metropolis that also boasts a significant crypto following. It has more than 651 Bitcoin ATMs and teller machines and over four dozen merchants accepting Bitcoin. It also hosts the world’s oldest and largest crypto convention, the Miami Bitcoin Conference. In 2021, the city’s mayor proposed investing in Bitcoin and unveiling their municipal cryptocurrency.

Bitcoin adoption has swiftly proliferated into many cities around the world today. Other notable Bitcoin hotspot cities include New York, USA; El Zonte, El Salvador; Seoul, South Korea; Singapore; Zug, Switzerland; Cape Town, South Africa; and Lagos, Nigeria.