Meet the President with Southern Methodist University’s David Shirzad
1. What is your major? Finance
2. What is your dream job? I honestly don’t have one. That’s always been a tough question for me.
3. What academic focus most interests you? Hard to choose one. I am a Finance major but I am also getting a minor in Public Policy and International Affairs, so that has been fun. Geography is another subject I find interesting.
4. What will you never understand? Biology, chemistry and how the United States failed to qualify for the World Cup in Russia.
5. What qualities do you most admire in a person? A genuine care and desire for others.
6. What angers you? People who only view situations from their point of view and do not think about others and how they might feel.
7. What is currently on your mind? SMU football and how far we have come in the four years I have been at school here. Also, some outrage at the U.S. soccer team for not qualifying for the World Cup.
8. What historical figure do you admire? George Washington. His leadership skills were unmatched. The way that he put the United States before his own reputation was astonishing.
9. Who are your favorite sports teams? DC United and any other teams from Washington
10. What’s the last book you read? “Too Big to Fail” by Andrew Ross Sorkin
11. What music are you into at the moment? I love the Avett Brothers and the Lumineers.
12. When you’re cooking, what is your go-to meal? Mac and cheese. I only know how to cook a couple things, but I can make a mean mac and cheese.
13. What’s your biggest struggle as a student? Not enough hours in the day.
14. What’s the last movie you watched? “Beauty and the Beast,” the new one with Emma Watson. This is how you know I am telling the truth here.
15. What is your most treasured possession? My stuffed dinosaur named Dino. He used to be my dad’s and he sleeps with me every night.
16. What is your favorite alcoholic beverage? Moscow Mule. Always refreshing and easy to make.
17. What is your typical outfit? Khakis and a polo.
18. What’s the best class you’ve taken in college? My accounting class with Barry Bryan. He was a great professor who pushed me to learn more than I ever have in a single class.
19. What is your favorite place to eat? Rusty Taco. Go get the breakfast tacos with chips and queso on the side.
20. What’s a secret talent of yours? My ability to learn the words to songs. I seem to have a large storage of song lyrics in my head.
21. Where do you want to go most in the world? New Zealand would be an awesome adventure.
22. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? Nothing. I wish I read more growing up, but that’s it.
23. Where do you hang out on campus? Hughes Trigg Student Center, Fondren Library and the Beta Theta Pi house.
24. Where would you be if not in college? Exploring the world mountain biking.
25. What makes you nervous? Anything further ahead than a year from now.
26. What is your biggest indulgence? Ice cream! Easiest question on here.
27. What living person would you most like to meet? Pope Francis. I am not a Catholic, but he inspires me with his strong leadership, and his deep compassion for those with disabilities means a lot to me personally.
28. What is important to you right now? Enjoying my senior year with my friends and not leaving with any missed adventures.
29. What is your motto? Carpe Diem