Pages

Responsive image
Pages x

These works confront America’s deeply racist history and present, and at the same time, explore healing, accompanied by bursts of joy, light and love.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

The movie, based on the book of the same name, falls short of the unsettling themes its predecessor succeeds at. Its failure results in a film that doesn’t know what it is.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Take a book, leave a book. These book exchanges allow for both self-enlightenment and an interconnected community, all while showing that following your passions can lead to real change.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

The Netflix show is based on ‘The Turn of the Screw’ and other stories by Henry James. Here are the similarities and differences.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The latest book from Joshua Whitehead is a deeply moving novel about what home means to a queer Native American kid who is struggling with his identity.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

More well-known for her young adult work, V.E. Schwab has penned a novel about a protagonist who has acquired immortality — but at an incredible cost.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

With the recent discovery of possible life on Earth’s twin, here are some sci-fi books about life on the planet.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The author is making a name for herself with popular horror novels that feature underrepresented sapphic characters.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The poet’s forthcoming book is a collection of poetry that embraces change — a topic that is well-needed during these chaotic times.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Set in an unfortunate future, this novel tells of war, family and the need to find something to believe in.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The R&B icon’s memoir is a story chronicled by a woman who has known brokenness and imprisonment, but has found her light at the end of the tunnel.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Not everyone can handle hardcore horror, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy some creepy fall reads. If you’re a scaredy-cat, like me, this list is for you.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

J. K. Rowling’s beloved book series has warmed readers’ hearts for decades. What makes them better than their film counterparts?

By

Responsive image
Pages x

This special time highlights the power of language to challenge our social, political and cultural assumptions.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

This self-help book from Nina Karnikowski will open your mind to the possibilities that arise from deciding to chase your dreams.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

Amanda Montell’s 2019 book examines how adjusting the words that we use can alter how gender and sexuality are considered in today’s society — for the better.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Most readers already know the story, so how does exploring the tale from the perspective of the iconic vampire bring something new to the beloved series?

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Helen Hoang’s novel paints a rich portrait of an autistic heroine, captivating readers by avoiding one-dimensional stereotypes that have long persisted in media.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The genre provides the perfect mix of escapism and grounding insight when ‘normal’ feels far off.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

This amazing feat in storytelling and artistic vision delves into areas often left unexplored by graphic novels and horror.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Paper lovers have turned to the video-sharing app to forge their own peaceful corner on a platform full of chaos.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

If you find yourself short on room, here are some ways to organize your literature collection without shelling out more money for extra bookcases.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is likely the most famous composer ever, but did you know he had an older sister who was just as talented as he was?

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The ever-popular series uses incredible world-building to offer a critique of those that invoke a higher power to justify their influence.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In her 2019 book, the comedian beautifully articulates a fascination with the ordinary, which just might be the key to true happiness, especially during the pandemic.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Few authors captured the human experience, particularly the Black experience, with as much nuance as her.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

This digital comic blends manga influences with Disney-inspired artwork to create a compelling tale of romance by the sea.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Kacen Callender’s young adult novel features a queer trans person of color amid friendships, love and a heartwarming journey of self-acceptance.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The genre can be fickle with its trends. However, this series seems to have the hang of these new fads with its fresh take on old tropes.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The author’s second novel, which follows a grandmother and granddaughter, puts family and community at the forefront but lacks balance in its storytelling.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens /// Thoughts x

HBO’s show offers a crystal clear picture of why communities need new ways to resolve conflicts and combat interpersonal violence.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens /// Thoughts x

This plot device is one of the most overdone romantic clichés out there. Should it be left behind, or is there a way to make it new again?

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The touching but heartwrenching World War II novel explores a Jewish girl’s hope-filled journey to find community in a war-ravaged Germany.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The book is full of social media, insane baked goods and a love story you can’t help but root for.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The Lee Chang-dong film adaptation of the critically acclaimed author’s short story may have changed a few details, but it maintains the spirit of the work.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Karen M. McManus’ young adult mystery novel both upholds and defies the tropes of the classic ’80s movie.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Surfing the internet might take time away from your beloved books, but these blogs are the perfect companions to your favorite novels.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The novel explores the long process of a guarded teenager finding belonging in her last foster home after a lifetime of letdowns.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The novel’s heartbreaking exploration of divorce and loss allows its exquisite friendships and familial connections to take center stage.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In her new book, Brit Bennett dissects extremely relevant issues with memorable characters and excellent storytelling.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Have you always wanted to start a journal, but didn’t know where to begin? Try one of these simple techniques to get started on your daily journaling journey.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Scott O’Connor has a unique and fearless writing style that will immerse you in the novel and make you feel like you’re part of the story.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Victor LaValle’s story blends fantastical elements with the very real issues of racism and violence, all against the backdrop of the urban landscape.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The new book written by Donald’s niece exhumes decades of corruption and greed in the Trump empire, even before her uncle entered the White House.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

People who share protagonists’ identities shouldn’t only author books. Their feedback can vastly improve how books represent marginalized groups.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The open letter against ‘cancel culture’ was mostly signed by people with enormous influence — those who least need to worry about ‘cancellation.’

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The psychological realism of Laura van den Berg’s second book parallels the isolation many are feeling during the pandemic.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

After receiving harsh criticism from her colleagues, the former columnist speaks of the grim consequences for people that go against the grain.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In her new book, Samantha Mabry shows readers that vulnerability and independence are not mutually exclusive.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens /// Thoughts x

Instead of villainizing technology just because it’s trendy, Cal Newport makes a compelling case for satisfaction that runs deeper than pings and pixels.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In her memoir, Carmen Maria Machado documents her experiences in an abusive queer relationship, telling a story that often goes untold.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

The concept provides an artistic and powerful way to engage in social change by coaxing our imagination to connect us to the voices of the past.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

Now more than ever, people are calling on brands to step up. The culture magazine took another step in the right direction by having Dario Calmese shoot their cover.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

With videos ranging from book reviews to bookshelf tours to group reads, this online community is more than just a virtual book club.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

The philosopher’s theories of the ‘studium’ and the ‘punctum’ explains why we prefer certain creative works over others.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

There’s no shame in dropping a book that you have no desire to read.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

Khalil Gibran Muhammad’s exploration of African Americans during the Progressive Era unveils the prejudice behind evidence of Black criminality.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Whether you want to be a prestigious journalist or write the next bestselling fantasy novel, these tips will help you build a following.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Asexuality and aromanticism are seemingly impossible to find in mainstream pop culture, but what if we look beyond the labels?

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Whether your goal is to cut back on wasted screen time, increase your cultural knowledge, or learn self-patience, this app is a necessity.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

This exercise is one of the best ways to help authors overcome feeling stuck. Following certain guidelines of the practice will ensure success.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

In her book ‘Sweet Remedies,’ herbalist and apothecary Dawn Combs spills the beans on honey-based drinks and confectionery.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

‘Such a Fun Age’ and ‘Little Fires Everywhere’ illustrate that just avoiding overt racism isn’t enough to combat white supremacy on a systemic level.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

It is more important than ever to remember the teachings of renowned Black feminist scholar as we consider empathy in our own communities.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The graphic novel by Raina Telgemeier captures the struggle of being diagnosed — and living with — a chronic illness.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Amy Poehler, Hope Jahren and James Comey reveal that although success seems bright and shiny from the outside, the journey there is often bumpy.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Though Robin DiAngelo’s book clearly comes from a well-meaning place, does the book undermine the possibility for working-class solidarity across races?

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

So-called ‘portal fantasy’ reveals the awe, fear and transformative power of traveling to another world — one that might be appealing in our present dystopia.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Just because the author has revealed her transphobia doesn’t mean fans have to completely abandon the the franchise. Instead, they can reclaim it.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Alan Moore’s comics explored a character’s psyche that continues to resonate with contemporary politics, albeit for the wrong reasons.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The ‘Divergent’ author’s newest novel revitalizes the tired ‘chosen one’ trope by weaving a compelling narrative about what happens to heroes after saving the world.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

They are often essential community institutions, and their continued survival during the pandemic is now more important than ever.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In light of the chaos coming out of Washington D.C. today, this book is the perfect read to cure your woes.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Susan Choi’s novel defies conventional wisdom about fiction and intentionally creates characters that are hard to relate to — making a unique, compelling read in the process.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Saeed Jones’ memoir is an honest and striking coming-of-age story about the Black queer experience and fighting to become yourself.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

The Hulu miniseries uses everyday scenes to take on an all too persistent problem in the fight for racial equality.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Beth O’Leary’s debut novel, which features a very unusual living arrangement, makes the case for the genre as possessing real emotional depth.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Julie Berry mixes the gods of Ancient Greece with romance and World War I, all in a novel that portrays the violence of white supremacy. 

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In this memoir, the comedian uses his personal experiences in South Africa and the U.S. to outline the fundamental irrationality behind racism — and why it continues to flourish.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Almost everything magical in the fantasy series relies on the use of animals in some shape or form. Is it even possible for a vegan to live in this world, and would they even want to?

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens /// Sounds /// Thoughts x

American pop culture has been defined by black excellence for decades. From Gordon Parks to Aaliyah, black artists continue to influence the new generation.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

The Mason family left an imprint on the West Hollywood queer scene with their shop. Years later, members of the community talk of its unwavering relevance.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

During times like these, creatives have way too much time on their hands. One result: killer web comics with deadly serious undertones.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Once a cherished author, the ‘Harry Potter’ writer has fallen from grace due to her continued ignorance regarding trans and other members of the queer community.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

For fans who just finished the series, leaving the world they’ve come to love just isn’t an option. Fortunately, they don’t have to.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Written on a prison typewriter, the novel tells the story of a young man who falls in love, joins the war and robs banks to pay for heroin  — a tale not unlike the author’s own life.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

At first glance, ‘The Hunger Games’ prequel has flat characters and a dull Hunger Games. However, is Suzanne Collins just challenging readers to reflect on how they view violence in entertainment?

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Eric Cervini’s historical opus describes how homophobia within American law enforcement bears a striking resemblance to racist policing practices.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

This wildly popular, binge-worthy web comic takes the myth of Hades and Persephone and sticks it into today’s world.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

All good things must come to an end. By constantly amending their works, authors like J.K. Rowling risk ruining their books — and stunting the growth of young fan fiction writers.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In attempts to combat the lack of diversity, writers from non-marginalized communities often miss the mark when writing about groups they don’t identify with.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Suzanne Collins’ new prequel to the ‘Hunger Games’ trilogy investigates the origins of the series’s central villain, President Snow, without justifying his hunger for power.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

As June begins and protests over racial injustice continue, it’s important to make space for queer black literature.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The acclaimed novelist writes that, much like writing, running requires deliberate practice, even when you don’t feel completely passionate about it.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Framed as a series of letters to her daughters, the star comedian uses her book to explore life experiences, inequality and her culture with her trademark vulgar hilarity.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Published in 2017, Paul Butler’s book equips supporters of Black Lives Matter with one more important resource to curb racism in law enforcement.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Using the small publishing platform, the ‘After’ author was able to make a name for herself — and at the same time, raise the possibility that others could do the same.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Although the stories of Greek gods and goddesses may originate from thousands of years ago, the lessons they give to us still resonate today.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Even nearly 20 years later, this classic graphic novel from the author of ‘Persepolis’ stands up for women, not just in Iran, but worldwide.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

From the intricacies of penguin poop to the origin of bellybutton lint, these works will answer questions you didn’t even think to ask.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Pages x

Responsive image
Pages x

Responsive image
Pages x

Responsive image
Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

‘Men have called me mad but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence.’ — Edgar Allan Poe

Responsive Image

The 6-year-old lead character of the long-running manga and anime not only investigates crimes, but the culture of his native land as well.

Responsive Image

If you don’t think you have the time to read the longer classics, these shorter fiction works that span a wide range of genres will help you on your literary journey. 

Responsive Image

It’s time people start taking the genre seriously.

Responsive Image

Set against the backdrop of Malaysia’s infamous 1969 race riots, this young adult novel and webtoon deals with the horrors of prejudice and trauma.

Responsive Image

There’s so many approaches that you can take; the important thing is to do what feels right to you. 

Responsive Image

The legendary author identified the pain all around us, but still found reasons to be optimistic about the human spirit.

Responsive Image

Twenty years after the film adaptation of his novel ‘American Psycho,’ the author maintains his status as someone with an honest artistic vision.

Responsive Image

The Lorrie Moore short story, told in second person, is a powerful statement about not giving up on your ambitions.

Responsive Image

Set against the context of the #MeToo movement, the debut novel of Kate Elizabeth Russell probes into the interactions between a predatory man and his teenage student.

Responsive Image

During stressful times like these, it’s reassuring to return to old, beloved stories instead of forging into the new and unknown.

Responsive Image

Against the backdrop of a small Texas town, Elizabeth Wetmore’s novel is a gritty depiction of a violent, patriarchal society.

Responsive Image

It’s Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, so why not read about the importance of loving and accepting our identities?

Responsive Image

What is it exactly that gets lost in the void between the page and the screen — and why do fans of the book get so mad about it?

Responsive Image

They might not be getting big movie or TV adaptations, but they might just become your new favorites.

Responsive Image

The heartwarming young adult novel follows an Asian American teenager caught between the culture of the United States and her parents’ homeland.

Responsive Image

Writing a poem can be a terrifying process. Here are some tips to make the journey easier.

Responsive Image

It’s perfectly normal to feel confused as you fully enter adulthood. This book by Dr. Meg Jay shows some ways to attain clarity and direction.