News & Politics

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

The left-wing populist uses blistering words to speak out against a rigged economic system, as well as those who don’t fight hard enough against it.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Screens x

Despite his smaller following than many, the progressive talk show host has repeatedly proven his skill in the YouTube debate arena.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

The progressive political group has found the secret to getting results from powerful people. It isn’t always comfortable, but we’re here for the results.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Sounds x

The success of the rapper’s second annual festival proves Astroworld 2020 will not be one to miss.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics /// Students x

Stay informed as this election approaches … it’s anyone’s race.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

In honor of the president’s two years in office, here’s the most current list of everyone who’s quit or been fired.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

Here are the female frontrunners for the Democratic bid in the 2020 elections.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

The former Baylor frat president faces almost no repercussions after raping and assaulting an unconscious woman.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Screens x

China wants a censored search engine, and Google might be greedy enough to oblige them.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

If the argument comes down to exposure, then other addictive products are equally incriminated.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

Democratic socialism just might be what saves the Union.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Pages x

She was the most powerful woman in the world for eight years, and she did a lot to earn it.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

Despite increased political engagement, the number of under-30-year-olds voting is still far too low.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

Just how far did the blue wave ride?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Which is very bad news for Democrats.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

Despite the surge in interest from young voters, a majority-Democrat Senate is still a long shot.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

More than ever, celebrities across the entertainment industry are getting political. Should they?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

Twitter posts don’t make you a political activist.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

Warren’s DNA test results proved she just doesn’t get it.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

Democrats across Texas are hoping so, but their hope might not be enough.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Thoughts x

Kanye’s MAGA hat and pro-Trump rhetoric has left fans upset, America confused and everyone wondering: Where is this coming from?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

And several former Miss America winners have jumped to her defense.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Has Melania Trump forever changed the American First Lady?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

It’s gotten so bad that even John Cusack’s getting involved.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

It won’t be long till Amazon owns the government anyway.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Sessions ruled that domestic abuse victims can no longer seek asylum in the United States.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The ‘Jersey Shore’ star’s recent domestic dispute highlights the sad relationship between violent relationships and reality television.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Two glitches in seven days have underscored, yet again, how addicted everyone is to the app.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

And might have helped disenfranchise thousands of voters in Ohio and throughout the U.S.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Here are the best podcasts to tune in to if you’d rather ignore those pesky CNN notifications.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

She successfully manipulated an entire city into believing she was royalty, but the $62,000 debt on a credit card told a different story.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Sounds x

Eminem’s sound effects in ‘Kill You’ sparked conversations about whether gunshot-like sound effects are appropriate in the wake of mass shootings.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The 45th president spurred more than his fair share of controversy at the 44th G7 Summit shortly before his meeting with Kim Jong Un.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Net neutrality has now officially been repealed, and nobody knows exactly what the future holds for internet usage.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The home rental service allows individuals to register their homes as emergency shelters, bringing new meaning to ‘loving thy neighbor.’

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Facebook and Twitter dominate today’s social media landscape, but with bad press popping up left and right, it might not stay that way forever.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

How the predominantly Catholic country defied centuries-old doctrine.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Since 1999, suicide rates have risen nearly 30 percent.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Samantha Bee’s apology to Ivanka Trump was the first real ‘I’m Sorry’ I have heard in a while.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Just feel the Bern and imagine the flames of Bernie Sanders waging war on the status quo, eliminating student debt and leading the United States with honesty and integrity.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Fashion icon Kate Spade hid her issues with mental illness behind her bubbly public image for decades.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Trump’s surprising choice to pardon an old woman serving time for drug offenses is good news — but don’t expect big changes out of his administration.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Men are often removed from the conversation and are now left without certain rights that women have been granted.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Trump might be able to do some good if he can muster an ounce of diplomacy.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

He could pardon himself if he wanted to — not that he has to! — but he could.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The film, which was shown to Starbucks workers during their anti-bias training, offers a poignant look into the struggles of African Americans.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Now, finally, the Miss America pageant can finally be about the contestants’ personalities.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Screens x

Reid is just the latest in a string of TV personalities to be caught in a freedom of speech issue.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The iconic fashion designer was found in her apartment Tuesday morning.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Sounds x

R. Kelly and XXXTentacion, both of whom were targeted by the policy, actually saw their streams rise during the probation.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The verdict provides little insight as to how far the Constitution protects religious liberties and same-sex rights.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

If this can happen to an FBI agent, it could easily happen to anyone.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Facebook will remove this section after complaints surrounding fake news and restriction of conservative content.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

SESTA/FOSTA, the new bill passed by the Senate, is endangering the sex work community through its harmful generalizations.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Through the financial assistance of the Evans Scholarship, dedicated caddies gain the opportunity to attend college free-of-charge.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Rather than fall in line with traditional Catholic doctrine, the first ever pope from the Americas is forging new territory with an old message.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The Kent State graduate used her college graduation photos to promote her answer to the gun crisis in America: arm the students.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

With his term not even half complete, Trump’s environmental legacy has the potential to be the worst of any modern president.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Innovative startup E6PR has created edible six-pack rings, but do the environmental benefits justify the higher production cost?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

If even their best baristas routinely misspell customer names, then a half-day of training probably won’t solve much.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Hateful communities of men have been forming at alarming rates across the country.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

In light of a new policy for the National Football League, controversy surrounding kneeling during the National Anthem continues.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The less attended and publicized hearing provided disturbing insights into Cambridge Analytica, Facebook and free speech.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics x

Recent breakthroughs in 20th-century murder cases have led to a new debate over police access to genealogy databases and privacy.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Volunteers at Siena College are using 3D printing technology to create prosthetic limbs for children.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Recent actions from the governments of the United States and Israel might signal a shift in the fate of the popular two-state solution.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

In a time when even the cold facts are questioned, journalists may find strength in embracing subjectivity — and breaking journalistic conventions.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Student Andrew Schneidawind wanted to show politicians the fear that students and teachers live through every day.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The league’s controversial decision to ban the protest might just lead to further political activism.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics x

De Blasio has told the NYPD to come up with a plan to stop the police from wasting their time making ‘unnecessary’ arrests for pot.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The Houston football star has a history of altruism when it comes to his adopted city.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Uber recently changed its policies on sexual assault, giving victims a platform to speak out.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

In health care, despite decades of scientific advancement, systematic sexism is still alive and well — unlike the women it’s killing.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

Are clickbait and biases the future of mainstream news outlets?

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Gun control has become a hot-button issue for primaries across the country.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Including the Sutherland Springs shooting and Austin bombings, nearly 40 Texans have died from domestic terrorism since November.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

The university will reportedly have to use student tuition to finance the agreement.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Incels are making headlines with shocking acts of terror, but where does the incel philosophy stem from?

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

By creating The American Agora within the university, students of American University are promoting ideological diversity throughout their campus.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Although the water is technically considered safe, Flint residents do not trust the water until all the pipes are replaced.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

The controversial decision marks a break with decades of diplomatic precedence.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Kilauea is happening now, but here are other volcanoes that people should have their eye on.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics /// Sounds x

Has the rapper’s recent behavior robbed him of his artistic achievements?

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

Across the country, majors and standardized curricula are becoming a relic of the past.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics x

After the death of a bulldog on a United flight in March, PETA and other animal rights activists have rallied against the airline.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics x

While Trump criticized the agreement as being too lenient on Iran, critics fear the retreat will antagonize diplomacy efforts.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

New theories have emerged in favor of the flat Earth, or so Flat-Earthers say.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
News & Politics x

America is witnessing a disaster unfold in real-time at the hands of Rudy Giuliani.

By

Responsive image
News & Politics x

Last year, the president broke a 16-year-old tradition by refusing to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, as anti-immigrant policies have continued to define his presidency.

By

Responsive image
Culture /// News & Politics x

The organization allowed girls into its ranks, but with plenty of planned segregation.

By

Responsive image
College /// News & Politics x

According to William H. McRaven, UT’s departing chancellor and the man responsible for the assassination of Bin Laden, there’s no harder gig.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The genre can be fickle with its trends. However, this series seems to have the hang of these new fads with its fresh take on old tropes.

Pages x

The author’s second novel, which follows a grandmother and granddaughter, puts family and community at the forefront but lacks balance in its storytelling.

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens /// Thoughts x

HBO’s show offers a crystal clear picture of why communities need new ways to resolve conflicts and combat interpersonal violence.

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens /// Thoughts x

This plot device is one of the most overdone romantic clichés out there. Should it be left behind, or is there a way to make it new again?

Responsive image
Responsive image

The touching but heartwrenching World War II novel explores a Jewish girl’s hope-filled journey to find community in a war-ravaged Germany.

Responsive image

The novel explores the long process of a guarded teenager finding belonging in her last foster home after a lifetime of letdowns.

Responsive image

The novel’s heartbreaking exploration of divorce and loss allows its exquisite friendships and familial connections to take center stage.

Responsive image

In her new book, Brit Bennett dissects extremely relevant issues with memorable characters and excellent storytelling.

Responsive Image

Have you always wanted to start a journal, but didn’t know where to begin? Try one of these simple techniques to get started on your daily journaling journey.

Responsive Image

Scott O’Connor has a unique and fearless writing style that will immerse you in the novel and make you feel like you’re part of the story.

Responsive Image

Victor LaValle’s story blends fantastical elements with the very real issues of racism and violence, all against the backdrop of the urban landscape.

Responsive Image

The new book written by Donald’s niece exhumes decades of corruption and greed in the Trump empire, even before her uncle entered the White House.

Responsive Image

People who share protagonists’ identities shouldn’t only author books. Their feedback can vastly improve how books represent marginalized groups.

Responsive Image

The open letter against ‘cancel culture’ was mostly signed by people with enormous influence — those who least need to worry about ‘cancellation.’

Responsive Image

The psychological realism of Laura van den Berg’s second book parallels the isolation many are feeling during the pandemic.

Responsive Image

After receiving harsh criticism from her colleagues, the former columnist speaks of the grim consequences for people that go against the grain.

Responsive Image

In her new book, Samantha Mabry shows readers that vulnerability and independence are not mutually exclusive.

Responsive Image

Instead of villainizing technology just because it’s trendy, Cal Newport makes a compelling case for satisfaction that runs deeper than pings and pixels.

Responsive Image

In her memoir, Carmen Maria Machado documents her experiences in an abusive queer relationship, telling a story that often goes untold.

Responsive Image

The concept provides an artistic and powerful way to engage in social change by coaxing our imagination to connect us to the voices of the past.

Responsive Image

Now more than ever, people are calling on brands to step up. The culture magazine took another step in the right direction by having Dario Calmese shoot their cover.

Responsive Image

With videos ranging from book reviews to bookshelf tours to group reads, this online community is more than just a virtual book club.

Responsive Image

The philosopher’s theories of the ‘studium’ and the ‘punctum’ explains why we prefer certain creative works over others.

Responsive Image

There’s no shame in dropping a book that you have no desire to read.

Responsive Image

Khalil Gibran Muhammad’s exploration of African Americans during the Progressive Era unveils the prejudice behind evidence of Black criminality.

Responsive Image

Whether you want to be a prestigious journalist or write the next bestselling fantasy novel, these tips will help you build a following.

Responsive Image

Asexuality and aromanticism are seemingly impossible to find in mainstream pop culture, but what if we look beyond the labels?

Responsive Image

Whether your goal is to cut back on wasted screen time, increase your cultural knowledge, or learn self-patience, this app is a necessity.

Responsive Image

This exercise is one of the best ways to help authors overcome feeling stuck. Following certain guidelines of the practice will ensure success.

Responsive Image

In her book ‘Sweet Remedies,’ herbalist and apothecary Dawn Combs spills the beans on honey-based drinks and confectionery.

Responsive Image

‘Such a Fun Age’ and ‘Little Fires Everywhere’ illustrate that just avoiding overt racism isn’t enough to combat white supremacy on a systemic level.

Responsive Image

It is more important than ever to remember the teachings of renowned Black feminist scholar as we consider empathy in our own communities.

Responsive Image

The graphic novel by Raina Telgemeier captures the struggle of being diagnosed — and living with — a chronic illness.

Responsive Image

Amy Poehler, Hope Jahren and James Comey reveal that although success seems bright and shiny from the outside, the journey there is often bumpy.

Responsive Image

Though Robin DiAngelo’s book clearly comes from a well-meaning place, does the book undermine the possibility for working-class solidarity across races?

Responsive Image

So-called ‘portal fantasy’ reveals the awe, fear and transformative power of traveling to another world — one that might be appealing in our present dystopia.

Responsive Image

Just because the author has revealed her transphobia doesn’t mean fans have to completely abandon the the franchise. Instead, they can reclaim it.

Responsive Image

Alan Moore’s comics explored a character’s psyche that continues to resonate with contemporary politics, albeit for the wrong reasons.

Responsive Image

The ‘Divergent’ author’s newest novel revitalizes the tired ‘chosen one’ trope by weaving a compelling narrative about what happens to heroes after saving the world.

Responsive Image

They are often essential community institutions, and their continued survival during the pandemic is now more important than ever.

Responsive Image

In light of the chaos coming out of Washington D.C. today, this book is the perfect read to cure your woes.

Responsive Image

Susan Choi’s novel defies conventional wisdom about fiction and intentionally creates characters that are hard to relate to — making a unique, compelling read in the process.

Responsive Image

Saeed Jones’ memoir is an honest and striking coming-of-age story about the Black queer experience and fighting to become yourself.

Responsive Image

The Hulu miniseries uses everyday scenes to take on an all too persistent problem in the fight for racial equality.

Responsive Image

Beth O’Leary’s debut novel, which features a very unusual living arrangement, makes the case for the genre as possessing real emotional depth.

Responsive Image

Julie Berry mixes the gods of Ancient Greece with romance and World War I, all in a novel that portrays the violence of white supremacy. 

Responsive Image

In this memoir, the comedian uses his personal experiences in South Africa and the U.S. to outline the fundamental irrationality behind racism — and why it continues to flourish.

Responsive Image

Almost everything magical in the fantasy series relies on the use of animals in some shape or form. Is it even possible for a vegan to live in this world, and would they even want to?

Responsive Image

American pop culture has been defined by black excellence for decades. From Gordon Parks to Aaliyah, black artists continue to influence the new generation.

Responsive Image

The Mason family left an imprint on the West Hollywood queer scene with their shop. Years later, members of the community talk of its unwavering relevance.

Responsive Image

During times like these, creatives have way too much time on their hands. One result: killer web comics with deadly serious undertones.

Responsive Image

Once a cherished author, the ‘Harry Potter’ writer has fallen from grace due to her continued ignorance regarding trans and other members of the queer community.

Responsive Image

For fans who just finished the series, leaving the world they’ve come to love just isn’t an option. Fortunately, they don’t have to.

Responsive Image

Written on a prison typewriter, the novel tells the story of a young man who falls in love, joins the war and robs banks to pay for heroin  — a tale not unlike the author’s own life.

Responsive Image

At first glance, ‘The Hunger Games’ prequel has flat characters and a dull Hunger Games. However, is Suzanne Collins just challenging readers to reflect on how they view violence in entertainment?

Responsive Image

Eric Cervini’s historical opus describes how homophobia within American law enforcement bears a striking resemblance to racist policing practices.

Responsive Image

This wildly popular, binge-worthy web comic takes the myth of Hades and Persephone and sticks it into today’s world.

Responsive Image

All good things must come to an end. By constantly amending their works, authors like J.K. Rowling risk ruining their books — and stunting the growth of young fan fiction writers.

Responsive Image

In attempts to combat the lack of diversity, writers from non-marginalized communities often miss the mark when writing about groups they don’t identify with.

Responsive Image

Suzanne Collins’ new prequel to the ‘Hunger Games’ trilogy investigates the origins of the series’s central villain, President Snow, without justifying his hunger for power.

Responsive Image

As June begins and protests over racial injustice continue, it’s important to make space for queer black literature.

Responsive Image

The acclaimed novelist writes that, much like writing, running requires deliberate practice, even when you don’t feel completely passionate about it.

Responsive Image

Framed as a series of letters to her daughters, the star comedian uses her book to explore life experiences, inequality and her culture with her trademark vulgar hilarity.

Responsive Image

Published in 2017, Paul Butler’s book equips supporters of Black Lives Matter with one more important resource to curb racism in law enforcement.

Responsive Image

Using the small publishing platform, the ‘After’ author was able to make a name for herself — and at the same time, raise the possibility that others could do the same.

Responsive Image

Although the stories of Greek gods and goddesses may originate from thousands of years ago, the lessons they give to us still resonate today.

Responsive Image

Even nearly 20 years later, this classic graphic novel from the author of ‘Persepolis’ stands up for women, not just in Iran, but worldwide.

Responsive Image

From the intricacies of penguin poop to the origin of bellybutton lint, these works will answer questions you didn’t even think to ask.

Responsive Image

‘Men have called me mad but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence.’ — Edgar Allan Poe

Responsive Image

The 6-year-old lead character of the long-running manga and anime not only investigates crimes, but the culture of his native land as well.

Responsive Image

If you don’t think you have the time to read the longer classics, these shorter fiction works that span a wide range of genres will help you on your literary journey. 

Responsive Image

It’s time people start taking the genre seriously.

Responsive Image

Set against the backdrop of Malaysia’s infamous 1969 race riots, this young adult novel and webtoon deals with the horrors of prejudice and trauma.

Responsive Image

There’s so many approaches that you can take; the important thing is to do what feels right to you. 

Responsive Image

The legendary author identified the pain all around us, but still found reasons to be optimistic about the human spirit.

Responsive Image

Twenty years after the film adaptation of his novel ‘American Psycho,’ the author maintains his status as someone with an honest artistic vision.

Responsive Image

The Lorrie Moore short story, told in second person, is a powerful statement about not giving up on your ambitions.

Responsive Image

Set against the context of the #MeToo movement, the debut novel of Kate Elizabeth Russell probes into the interactions between a predatory man and his teenage student.

Responsive Image

During stressful times like these, it’s reassuring to return to old, beloved stories instead of forging into the new and unknown.

Responsive Image

Against the backdrop of a small Texas town, Elizabeth Wetmore’s novel is a gritty depiction of a violent, patriarchal society.

Responsive Image

It’s Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, so why not read about the importance of loving and accepting our identities?

Responsive Image

What is it exactly that gets lost in the void between the page and the screen — and why do fans of the book get so mad about it?

Responsive Image

They might not be getting big movie or TV adaptations, but they might just become your new favorites.

Responsive Image

The heartwarming young adult novel follows an Asian American teenager caught between the culture of the United States and her parents’ homeland.

Responsive Image

Writing a poem can be a terrifying process. Here are some tips to make the journey easier.

Responsive Image

It’s perfectly normal to feel confused as you fully enter adulthood. This book by Dr. Meg Jay shows some ways to attain clarity and direction.

Responsive Image

Polished lesson plans and real-world examples from the prestigious paper of record will give anyone the skills they need to become better at writing.

Responsive Image

The Batman universe courts controversy with its fandom by turning the original Robin/Nightwing into an edgy bad boy with amnesia.

Responsive Image

The zine released by the Asian American Feminist Collective offers a communal response to the emerging anti-Asian xenophobia in the wake of COVID-19.

Responsive Image

The magazine has been a shadow of its former self for years. Will it be able to keep up in the online publishing world?

Responsive Image

You already have all the magic you need inside.

Responsive Image

When there’s nothing better to do, journaling could be the perfect way to pass time and release your inner anxieties.

Responsive Image

A good story has no targeted age group, and punchy, coming-of-age narratives can appeal to anybody.

Responsive Image

Fan fiction is adding a few more dimensions to a character many felt was left underdeveloped.

Responsive Image

It’s time to go on another angsty adventure with the prolific young adult author.

Responsive Image

There’s still so much to say about these beloved books and the impact they have had on an entire generation of readers.

Responsive Image

His work ‘The Taste of Cigarettes’ demonstrates that writing is borne of personal toil — whatever form that may take.

Responsive Image

Poetry isn’t just written down. Some poets are evolving the genre by using their voices as their medium.

Responsive Image

While the world has lauded the country for K-beauty, this webtoon shows the dark side of South Korean beauty standards.

Responsive Image

Despite its endorsement from Oprah, Jeanine Cummins’ book about the life of a Mexican woman is having a damaging impact on minorities.

Responsive Image

The Chinese web novel finds its strong female lead getting an opportunity to start life over as a teenager, and avenging the betrayal that ended her life.

Responsive Image

Both shows are based on beloved fantasy books, but are they comparable?

Responsive Image

The storied and often dangerous life of the Latin American author helped create stories that spoke to isolation and dislocation.

Responsive Image

We stan the biromantic, asexual woman of color protagonist in Claire Kann’s new novel.

Responsive Image

Autumn De Wilde’s film may not be entirely true to the book, but it still captures the essence of the author’s work.

Responsive Image

While its simple style has received praise for its accessibility, there are a few that can satisfy readers who want more.

Responsive Image

It’s not only a whole new world of literature, but what’s better than something that’s free and accessible at any time during the day?

Responsive Image

Why is the murdering main character of the Netflix show garnering so much sympathy?

Responsive Image

Writing is — and should be — really hard and really frustrating. Otherwise, you’re not doing it right.

Responsive Image

Diversity can be hard to find in the accepted literary canon, but literature is full of LGBTQ+ representation if you know where to look.