Childs finger on piano.
Photo by Tim Cooper on Unsplash

Learning to Play Music: A Beginner’s Guide

For many people, learning to play music comes at the top of a list of long held life ambitions.

For those who love the idea – but are also not sure where to start, it can be confusing to know where to begin, which can deter before they’ve played a single note. 

It’s also worth remembering that while natural talent can be a factor in learning how to play, it’s not necessarily as important as dedication and persistence. If you want to learn more about music, here are some ways to get started.

Online

From paid subscription sites to online tutors, the internet has placed a multitude of learning resources at our fingertips, offering many ways to access learning online. Online lessons tend to be cheaper overall and more convenient in terms of travel time. 

Music tutors can be found as far afield as Massachusetts (like the ones based at South Shore Piano School), but you don’t have to travel the world to find one: in fact, you don’t even have to leave your home. However: the main downside to online learning is that much of it is likely to be self-directed, which requires a great amount of organization and self-discipline.

In-person

An in-person tutor will also be able to assess your level of proficiency, which can be challenging to do if you are starting out by yourself. They will also be able to instantly point out specific areas for improvement you might otherwise not notice, such as correct physical placement.

If you are learning at a music school you might even have access to high quality musical instruments you might not otherwise have a chance to play. While there are benefits to private lessons such as greater focus on your individual studies, learning as part of a group is a great way to socialise.

Defining your Purpose

One way to help you decide how you’re going to learn music is to try and understand what you hope to gain from the experience. If you’re looking to play as a hobby or creative outlet, free online tutorials can be a great way to test the water before you decide to pay for lessons. 

Using the SMART framework (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic; timebound) can also help you to clearly define your goals while helping you to stay focussed. For example, structuring your learning helps to make your goals measurable, while starting with a relatively easy instrument (like a ukulele) is attainable, allowing you to progress to something more difficult later on if you choose.

Staying Motivated

It’s important to be accountable for your learning, whether you are learning with a tutor or by yourself. If it’s the latter, teaming up with a fellow novice musician, or joining an online community via the platform you are learning from can help you to stay on track while keeping things fun, which can also be a great motivator.

It’s also important to remember that no-one is born knowing how to play music; even famous classical musicians had to start somewhere. Many musicians learn to play at a young age, and developing a new skill later in life can be majorly beneficial. If you have been wanting to learn music, there’s no time like the present.