Hand holding cannabis leaf

A Brief History of Cannabis in America

Cannabis has been used medicinally, spiritually, and recreationally for thousands of years, and for a humble plant, it has experienced quite a tumultuous history in America.

Throughout the decades, it’s held the reputation of a miracle plant, a dangerous drug, and just about everything in between. 

Today, cannabis is legal for medical treatment in 38 states and is legal for adults to use recreationally in 21 states. However, that certainly hasn’t always been the case. Read on as we take a look at the highlights of the history of cannabis in America.

Native American Use of Cannabis

Cannabis has been used by Native American people for thousands of years, for medicinal purposes, as well as in religious and social ceremonies. Viewed as a sacred plant that could bring about balance and harmony, some tribes used cannabis in their pipe ceremonies to connect with the spirit world.

America’s Cash Crop

Cannabis was first introduced to the American colonies in the 17th century, where it was grown for its fiber. Hemp, a variety of cannabis that contains little to no THC was crafted into rope, cloth, paper, and other products. 

There’s no doubt that hemp was an important cash crop for American farmers and it continued to be grown throughout the 19th century. 

It’s noteworthy that in the past, there was no distinction made between hemp and cannabis. The scientific term “cannabis” was not used to refer to the hemp plant in the US until approximately 1753

Weed and the Founding Fathers

Thomas Jefferson was known to have grown cannabis on his plantation in Monticello. He developed quite an interest in the plant’s medicinal properties and is said to have experimented with it. His fellow Founding Fathers including George Washington and James Madison also grew hemp on their own farms. 

Some sources report that the Declaration of Independence was drafted on hemp paper

From Stoners to Outlaws

Cannabis remained legal in the United States until the early 20th century. In the 1930s however, it became stigmatized and criminalized. It was Harry J. Anslinger, the first commissioner of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, who led the charge to criminalize it.

Anslinger used a signature brand of propaganda to spread endless fear and misinformation about cannabis, painting it as a dangerous drug almost certainly destined to cause violence and insanity. The Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 effectively criminalized cannabis at the federal level.

The Scientists Discovered Something

During the 1960s, scientists began studying cannabis. They discovered that THC, the psychoactive compound in cannabis, was responsible for its mind-altering effects. In addition, they determined that cannabis contains other compounds such as CBD, CBN, and CBG which held medicinal properties. Scientists called these newly discovered plant medicines cannabinoids.

This led to the discovery of the endocannabinoid system, a network of receptors in the human body that interact with cannabinoids. Since then, there has been a growing body of research on the potential benefits of cannabis for a range of conditions.

“I experimented with it, but I didn’t inhale”

The use of recreational cannabis use became more mainstream in the 1990s, and we saw a particular surge among younger Americans. 

It was during this time that former U.S. President, Bill Clinton famously admitted to trying cannabis but claimed he didn’t inhale. 

It was in 1996 that California became the first state to legalize cannabis for medical use. Since then, many more states have followed suit, with a total of 38 states now facilitating medical marijuana programs.

Don’t call it a comeback, I’ve been here for years

In the 21st century, we have seen a shift in attitudes toward cannabis. In 2012, Colorado and Washington became the first U.S. states to legalize recreational cannabis. Since then, more states have followed in their footsteps. 

Currently, a total of 21 states permit recreational cannabis use for adults 21 and older. 

Pharma Gets Involved

The pharmaceutical industry has certainly been taking notice of cannabis and its potential medicinal properties. In 2018, the FDA approved the first cannabis-derived drug, Epidiolex, which is used to treat seizures associated with two rare forms of epilepsy.

This has paved the way for research into cannabis-based treatments for a variety of conditions including chronic pain, anxiety, and sleep disorders. In fact, cannabis is even being studied as a potential treatment for cancer.

Fields from Coast to Coast

These days, there’s no denying that cannabis is big business. It’s being harvested from coast to coast, with California remaining the biggest producer. Cannabis is used to make various products including edibles, topicals, and tinctures.

According to a report from Grand View Research, in 2022, the North American legal cannabis market size was valued at $15.2 billion. Its value is expected to achieve a steady increase from 2023 to 2030, with a compound annual growth rate of 14.6%.

Cannabis Extracts

Extracts are another way that cannabis is being used today and the technology behind them continues to evolve. They are concentrated forms of cannabis, produced using a range of methods, including butane, CO2, and ethanol extraction. These cannabis extracts are used to make products such as organic CBD oils, shatter, wax, and live resin, all popular among recreational cannabis users.

Product Innovations

With the legalization of cannabis in many states, there’s been a surge of brands trying to get creative with exciting ways to cash in on the industry. As a result of this, cannabis is also being blended with other ingredients like healing herbs and other healthy nutrients to create innovative new products. 

For example, cannabis-infused gummy candy is a popular way to enjoy it. Gummies can be made with a variety of cannabinoids, including THC and CBD. Honey is another product that is being infused with cannabis. Cannahoney can be infused into CBD honey sticks and eaten like candy, spread on your favorite toast, or stirred through a hot drink to melt it.

Whatever way you look at it, there seems to be a cannabis product out there for everyone.

Legal for Longer

When it’s all said and done, cannabis has spent more time legal than it has been illegal in America. It was legal and accepted as a valuable crop dating back as far as 1606, and wasn’t criminalized until the 1930s.

So, for more than 300 years, cannabis/hemp was legal, before it became illegal for the better part of almost 60 years, with some extreme medical cases permitted to medicate with cannabis (1937-1996).

The Stigma Remains, Even for Our Veterans

Although cannabis was only criminalized for a little over half a century, that status hasn’t quite been shaken. Unfortunately, there is a lasting stigma that many still face. This stigma even extends to our veterans who have served our country and choose to medicate with cannabis to relieve their symptoms relating to war injuries including Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Following exposure to a traumatic event such as a severe injury, natural disaster, or war, individuals may develop post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The prevalence of this condition in adults in the U.S. is approximately 3.5%, but unfortunately, the figures are even more significant among veterans.

Statistics suggest that up to 20% of soldiers who served in Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom have been affected by PTSD. Similarly, approximately 12% of those who served in the Gulf War and 15% of those who served in the Vietnam War have also experienced PTSD.

While further investigation is required, preliminary findings appear to be positive for individuals seeking to alleviate PTSD symptoms with CBD. In 2019, the Journal of Alternative Complementary Medicine published research that suggested 91 percent of participants with PTSD experienced an approximate 28-percent reduction in the severity of their PTSD symptoms after an eight-week protocol of successive CBD treatment.

Final Thoughts on America’s Relationship with Cannabis

The history of cannabis in America is a rich and complicated one. From its use by Native Americans to its criminalization in the early 20th century, it’s certainly been through a lot more than most plants.

With the recent legalization of cannabis in many states, however, it seems that society’s attitudes are shifting. Coupled with a growing body of research into the benefits of cannabis, it is likely that we will continue to see a positive change in the reputation of this once-controversial plant.

After all, while there is much that is still to be learned about cannabis and its effects, it’s hard to deny just how much it has to offer. From medicinal properties to its recreational uses, cannabis is certainly multifunctional. As legalization continues to take hold across the country, it will be interesting to see the new innovations and products yet to emerge within the cannabis industry.