Woman writing an essay
Photo by Zen Chung: https://www.pexels.com/photo/happy-young-asian-student-doing-homework-and-listening-to-music-with-earphones-5538618/

10 Best Literary Devices to Use in Your Essay

Do you ever feel like your essays are missing something? If so, you’re probably not using enough literary devices.

Different techniques, like metaphors and alliteration, take an essay from mediocre to stunning in no time. This article breaks down the best literary devices and how to use them so that your papers will get a score of 100% every time.

1. Alliteration

Alliteration is the repetition of a word’s beginning consonant. Examples include:

• Jen jumps for joy
  • Red roses
  • Three tan trucks

Many think alliteration will make an essay sound unprofessional, but this isn’t true! This technique can emphasize specific ideas and make your writing more engaging for readers. It’s also a great tool to make essay titles sound catchy.

2. Simile and Metaphor

A simile uses the words “like” or “as” to compare two things. A metaphor works almost the same way but doesn’t contain “like” or “as.”

Similes and metaphors are incredibly useful in essays. They help to emphasize the connection between unrelated objects or ideas, provide further clarification for complex ideas, and allow the reader to relate to foreign concepts.

3. Synecdoche

Synecdoche is one of the lesser-known literary devices, but chances are you’re already using it. Synecdoche refers to using a part of something to signify its whole. Examples of this are:

• “Wheels” refers to a vehicle
  • “All hands on deck,” with “hands” referring to members of the crew
  • “The eyes watch me,” with “eyes” referring to people

When it comes to essays, synecdoche is especially useful when you run out of synonyms. Instead of repeating the same word, you can replace it with a part of the whole! This helps your essays sound more natural and fluid.

4. Juxtaposition

Similes and metaphors serve to compare two things, and juxtaposition does the opposite: it places two items close together to emphasize their differences.

Juxtaposition is a critical element of essay writing. Often, you’ll make distinctions between things or ideas. Juxtaposition can help emphasize those differences and help your reader understand your main point.

5. Imagery

Next on the list of literary devices is imagery. Imagery is anything that evokes a mental image. There are many types, such as:

• Visual
  • Olfactory
  • Gustatory
  • Auditory
  • Tactile
  • Movement
  • Emotions and Feelings

Imagery creates vivid descriptions that keep the reader focused on your essay. It’s also great for setting the tone of a work—you can use imagery to help your writing sound more professional and eloquent.

6. Hyperbole

Hyperbole is an extreme exaggeration. While it’s not always appropriate in a formal essay, there are rare instances where a well-placed hyperbole takes writing to the next level. For example, hyperbole can be used to highlight how ridiculous something is.

A great rule of thumb for using hyperbole in academic essays is to think about how believable the phrase is. Exaggeration that reads like a fact will confuse readers, but if it’s obviously false, the effect will be completely different: readers will get a sense of the absurdity.

7. Symbolism

If you want to add layers of meaning to your essay, look no further than symbolism. Symbolism is the use of a thing, usually an object, to represent a bigger concept. For example, a dove often symbolizes peace.

Symbolism can help readers understand complex ideas in essays. It also makes your writing more fun to read!

8. Oxymoron

An oxymoron is a phrase that contradicts itself. For example:

• Deafening silence
  • Cruel kindness
  • Alone together

In essays, an oxymoron is excellent at communicating a paradox. Paradoxes are challenging to include in writing because you typically want to maintain clarity. An oxymoron helps by keeping your point transparent.

9. Idiom

Idioms are phrases with a non-literal meaning. An example is “call it a day.” It doesn’t mean to literally call something “a day”—it refers to wrapping up an activity. More examples of idioms are:

• Break a leg
  • When pigs fly
  • Beat around the bush

Idioms create a welcoming tone for your essay. They feel less professional but are often accepted in academic writing, meaning you can use them to help your reader relax and better understand your writing.

10. Personification

Personification is giving human characteristics to nonhuman things.

It helps readers connect to ideas or assign emotion to things that would otherwise seem dull. It’s beneficial in argumentative essays that seek to convince.

Conclusion

With this list, you’re ready to conquer your next essay and earn the highest marks. Readers will be startled at how engaging and atmospheric your writing feels.

Next time you sit down to write an essay, try throwing in a metaphor or some alliteration. You’ll be surprised at how much more engaging your writing becomes!