In an article on the new podcast "Ride" is graphic of Benito Skinner and Mary Beth Barone posing together against a split background: one side is green for their old podcast and the other is brown for their new podcast.

Ride or Die: A New Chapter for the Iconic Duo

Mary Beth Barone and Benito Skinner resurface with new pop culture podcast “Ride,” where no topic is off limits.

They’re back! Previously the podcast hosts of Obsessed (now the show that shall not be named), comedians Benito Skinner and Mary Beth Barone return to the podcasting world with newfound freedoms and creative control. Their new and already iconic podcast, “Ride,” a Dear Media production, brings back all the highlights of their original work while intermingling with an intriguing rush of fresh takes and the license to be completely candid with their listeners.

In their first podcast together, the pair would share and converse about their current obsessions each week. Without fail,  they consistently delivered thought-provoking pop culture insight, which was addressed and explored in the most comical way possible. As the show progressed, the hosts accumulated a devoted fan base dubbed “The Baronies.” All seemed to be going well for the dynamic duo.

However, on March 7, 2022, their last episode was released with no prior warning of the show’s cancellation. Understandably, fans were upset and confused. Why did the hit series come to an abrupt end?

In “1 Calendar Year (Bonus Ep)” of their new show, they clear up the confusion. Simply put, before recording their last episode, they were randomly called up one day by the showrunners and told the show was canceled. It was out of their control, much to their disappointment. They felt gypped, and so did the Baronies.

Alas, as they promised, Skinner and Barone have reemerged, and they bring with them a whole belt of diverse opinions, supreme catchphrases and iconic lines. Fear not, though, for their original show setup remains the same. As Benito affirmed in this episode, “We have something to live up to.”

Skinner and Barone took with them the general framework of their old podcast, sharing two hot topics they each ride for and then deciding if they are convinced by the other. This time around, the segment is called “Ride or Die.” Along with these remnants comes their classic, unedited opening conversations, which include an honest dialogue about their lives at the moment and, most importantly, Skinner’s unintentional commitment to mention his boyfriend, Terrence O’Connor, within the first few minutes. In Barone’s words, “everything Baronies loved from before” will have a place in their new show. 

It’s a relief to hear their show’s concept was not taken from them, as well. Retaining the amusing parts of the old podcast makes the Baronies feel like their weekly preoccupation can once again be entertained. Plus, finally getting all the tea on what went down with the old podcast does not hurt either.

While the foundation for their new podcast was borrowed from their initial work, Skinner and Barone had no problem putting their two genius brains together in concocting contemporary material.

To begin, some modern additions include the ability to use expletives and sing songs that do not belong to them. Undeniably, these two features will aid the hosts in expressing themselves in the clearest and most genuine way. In tandem, Barone divulges the exciting news that this time around, the show will be “a little more listener-driven,” because they will harness more creative control. Baronies everywhere will be happy to hear this, as the listeners make the heart of the show while Skinner and Barone simply give them a place to connect with one another, as well as with the hosts.

Additionally, a completely novel aspect of the show is the fact that it will be recorded in person. Indeed, the hosts will be recording their conversations in the same physical space together for the first time. As they agreed, this component is essential, as proximity to one another creates an energy that listeners “can feel.” With no internet delays, there’s sure to be a more cohesive and cozy nature to “Ride.”

In their typical fashion, Skinner and Barone have created a one-of-a-kind, fresh language for the new podcast that is sure to evolve as the show goes on. In their new vocabulary sit “Taika,” “I love you sweat” and “I just did something so human.”

Taika, though not clearly defined, is expressed as “fun” and “based in love.” Some examples include Tiffany bracelets or their host company, WTF Media Studios. The phrase, “I love you sweat” can be conveyed as either “mad or happy” depending on the tone of “sweat,” which according to the hosts, is almost like “sweetie,” but not. Saying “I just did something so human” indicates just that, acts of human nature. An example would be a person walking into a room, forgetting why they went in there, leaving, then coming back once they remember. It’s just the human condition. Baronies can only hope that the famous verb, noun and adjective trio,“Fightuh,” makes a comeback in addition to all the new jargon.

Covering the basics, Skinner and Barone cite that they will be talking about what’s “in.” For them, and thus all the Baronies, this incorporates what’s “back in style.” A non-exhaustive list consists of “fabulous,” “Hell to the yeah,” calling someone a “geek” or “freak,” “no less,” “pray tell,” “I’ll be damned,” “mega,” “groovy,” “on the hop” and “cripe’s sake.” The pair is certain to repurpose many more old phrases, as well as invent new ones, for the show’s duration.

Needless to say, Skinner and Barone came back ready, Starbucks coffees in hand with Tiffany bracelets to match. Now, they are the ones calling the shots, and they are not afraid to delve into the truth. With four episodes out so far, they’ve already reignited the Baronies’ passion for the pair’s quick quips and fresh forecasts. Given their current popularity and the buzz surrounding “Ride,” it goes without saying that the duo will amass a collection of new fans while also treasuring the OGs. Regardless, any listener should prepare themself for a wild ride. 

Sarah Deavers, University of Virginia

Sarah Deavers

University of Virginia
Media Studies