moulin rouge! the musical main characters kissing under windmill

‘Moulin Rouge!’ Lives On in ‘Moulin Rouge! The Musical’

The musical incorporates songs from various artists and emphasizes the bohemian mindset for an entertaining experience.

If you’re a fan of the film “Moulin Rogue,” then you’ll love the musical adaptation — here are four more reasons to see “Moulin Rouge! The Musical“:

1. Remixed Playlist

“Moulin Rouge! The Musical” includes songs from various artists such as Tina Turner, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Sia and many more. Although it is not necessarily new, the inclusion of contemporary songs in a musical reflects a less conventional approach to theater.

“Moulin Rouge! The Musical” was originally a film directed by Baz Luhrmann. Featuring Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman, the early 2000s film was a huge success. In her Golden Globe Award acceptance speech, Nicole Kidman called Baz Luhrmann a visionary and her words still hold true today. Luhrmann was very forward-thinking in his filmmaking, and his hard work and creativity really paid off.

2. Bohemian Mindset

The Bohemian mindset is an unconventional one. “Moulin Rouge! The Musical” is about a man named Christian who lives in Paris during the Bohemian era. He discovers a nightclub named the Moulin Rouge where one can basically let loose and just do whatever they please. There are female dancers that entertain the male attendees. The men are excited to see the women, and the main dancer Satine captivates Christian’s heart. He ends up falling in love with her and the story details the obstacles they must confront to keep their love alive.

The Bohemian mindset emphasizes the importance of art, autonomy and following one’s true passions, even if those passions may be unpopular. Many people like to conform to society by taking on a conventional job. There’s nothing wrong with this, but it’s sad when people are too scared to reveal their talents to the world. Guidance is important, but human beings must also be willing to take risks and pave their own paths in life. Bohemians like non-conforming ideas and often believe that maps are unnecessary. People should write their own social contracts and disregard any templates meant to determine the course of their lives. By doing this, bohemians know that they will lead fulfilling lives without regret.

3. Meta Storylines

“Moulin Rouge! The Musical” is very meta. The musical, in addition to following a love story between two people, also centers on the main characters acting in their own show. This is very meta because when people see “Moulin Rouge! The Musical,” they are attending a theater to watch a piece of theater. The storyline of the show within the musical focuses on two people who are in love and the events that prevent them from being together. This is identical to the love story in the actual play. Viewing a piece of art that is about the actual topic itself is very interesting and can provoke curiosity within people. When things are meta, human beings tend to think more about their lives and the irony within everything.

4. The Importance of Theater

Art imitates life and life imitates art is something that will always be true no matter what time we’re living in. The content of art will always reflect the current events of that era. From ancient Greece up to the present and beyond, the theater will always be an integral part of people’s lives. Watching and participating in theater is a creative outlet that helps people deal with the difficulties of being human. Although there are many different topics that a show revolves around, ultimately, the theater is about life. This relates back to the meta notion. When you’re watching a musical or play, essentially, you’re watching the lives of people while living your art always gives something for humans to respond to, and theater can also be a form of escapism that still examines certain themes that are relevant to real life. If a musical or play is authentic and explores universal struggles, people will walk away from the show changed for good.