In an article about the top eight tips that Taylor Swift fans should follow when they attend the 'Eras Tour,' Swift gazes downward as her long blonde hair ripples across a starry sky and surrounds a purple sign that reads, 'Tips for Taylor.'

8 Tips for Taylor Swift Fans Attending the ‘Eras Tour’

Follow this Swiftie's advice to mastermind your concert experience.

The “Eras Tour” is the event of the year for Taylor Swift fans everywhere. In November 2022, Swifties made national headlines when their clamor for tickets to the singer-songwriter’s highly anticipated “Eras Tour” crashed Ticketmaster. After waiting for hours in the ticketing platform’s virtual queue, over 2 million lucky fans secured seats at one of Swift’s 52 U.S. concert venues. 

Swift’s loyal fanbase has eagerly awaited her return to the stage since COVID-19 led to the cancellation of her 2020 “Lover Fest,” a worldwide concert tour in celebration of her seventh studio album, “Lover.” Now Swift is back with four new studio albums that she has yet to sing live — until now. From one Swiftie to another, here are eight essential tips that will ensure your Tay-day is a sparkling success. 

1. Memorize the Setlist Beforehand

Most Swifties know the lyrics to their favorite anthems, but some may feel unfamiliar with songs from their least preferred eras. To maximize your “Eras Tour” experience, learn as many of Swift’s planned songs as possible in advance — it doesn’t feel good to mess up the lyrics or hesitate to sing along during the concert. Ease your worries by having the setlist down pat before the big day rolls around. 

2. If You Are Not a Local Swiftie, Book a Hotel ASAP 

As someone who arrived home at 3 a.m. after a three-hour drive, I highly encourage finding a hotel within a reasonable walking distance of the venue. Regardless of how high your spirits are, you’re going to feel exhausted after the concert ends, and just exiting the venue could take 30 minutes. Play it safe, and book a stay for the night. Do it soon, too, as most places are filling up — if not already full.  

3. Plan Which Era You’ll Represent 

The “Eras Tour” owes part of its whimsy and magic to concertgoers who design their attire to embody one of Swift’s 10 musical eras. Most Swifties know to prepare their outfits well in advance of the show date, so the sooner you start planning, the better. Since 2 million other Swifties may choose a look similar to yours, you could run into obstacles finding sequin jackets, flapper dresses and red heart glasses. If you order clothing and accessories online, leave at least a month for all items to arrive on time. Find inspiration on Pinterest, design your look down to the last dazzling detail and stick to your plan. 

4. Wear Comfortable Shoes

While Swift can dance for over three hours in high heels with apparent ease, most Swifties don’t possess the same power. When selecting footwear, consider the long hours you will spend walking to and from the venue, waiting outside for the gates to open, wandering the stadium to find your seat and dancing to every song. From a Swiftie who learned her lesson, leave the bejeweled boots at home. Your feet will thank you. 

5. Bring a Portable Charger

Between waiting to enter the venue and navigating to and from the hotel, you will likely spend a decent portion of the evening on your phone. You’ll also want to snap tons of outfit photos for Instagram and record dozens of videos to cherish forever. There’s no shame in that; however, you will feel particularly disappointed if your phone dies before Swift performs your favorite song. Find a powerful portable charger and charge it up the morning of the show. Then you’ll be ready when and if the need for more battery power arises. 

6. Buy a Clear Bag To Carry Your Items

In addition to that charger, you’d be wise to bring a camera, phone, wallet, keys and poncho (if your city forecasts rain). Holding all of your belongings, along with any purchases you make at the venue, will pose a challenge — Swift-inspired outfits do not favor function. Make your life a little simpler, and consolidate your possessions in one easily-accessible location.

7. Purchase Your Drinks, Snacks and Merchandise Before the Concert Starts

Don’t be the person who gets up multiple times before and during the concert to buy food, drinks or T-shirts. It’s rude, and it inconveniences everyone sitting between you and the stairs. Once you enter the stadium, you will have at least an hour before Swift starts her performance. Locate a merchandise booth first, practice patience in line, then find your seats. The same goes for food and beverages. 

8. Take Photos Before Swift Appears Onstage

While Swift pours her soul out onstage, don’t ask other fans to take a photo of your group or blind them with your camera flash. Instead, plan to snap pictures before the show starts. Since everyone will be searching for ways to pass the time, most Swifties will happily help you capture the best Insta pic (and compliment your outfit while they’re at it). Golden hour also occurs before Swift’s performance: it’s the perfect time for a photo op. Get your pics, return the favor, then find your seat.

These are just a few of the tips and tricks I picked up while attending the “Eras Tour.” I’m thankful that I followed some of the recommendations listed above, but I wish I’d thought of the others before show day rolled around. Integrate these suggestions into your preparations for the big day to ensure maximum enjoyment of a night that just hits different.  

Sarah Deavers, University of Virginia

Sarah Deavers

University of Virginia
Media Studies