Female Ejaculation: Not Just for Porn

The idea of a women ejaculating is very real!

Okay, if you’re under eighteen, you may want to put your earmuffs on. Recently I was in a group chat with two of my closest friends from high school. We were discussing sex in detail as many twenty-somethings do. One of my friends claimed to have been caught off guard by herself during her orgasm as some of her personal “fluid” came out with such intensity that it landed on her arm. This person also claimed to have never had this happen before and believed it was due to her partner’s stimulation on a certain area during intercourse.

However, my other friend chimed in, commenting that she too had experienced what many people refer to as “squirting” before. She believed that this was a result of the performance of her partner, not a side effect of some power she possesses. This got me thinking if I have this power as well. Is this based on level of pleasure or strictly biological and only some can possess this skill? But, more importantly, what the hell is it?

Female ejaculation, more commonly known as squirting, is not a new phenomenon. However, with recent progress in sexual openness and sexual exploration, more people have been open to discussing and learning more about it. Even within the scientific world, it is gaining more attention than they have in the past looking at this anomaly, and we have yet to fully understand this occurrence.

According to an article published by “New Scientist,” the issue with female ejaculation is not so much in its force as the amount of liquid that is produced. It’s no surprise that women who “suffer” from this issue are not only teased for catching men off guard but also worried about the fluid creating an illusion that they’ve wet the bed. There are also immature people who, simply for laughs, have nicknamed women who experienced this phenomenon “Squirtle” after the popular Pokémon. For a woman who is participating in sex outside of a committed relationship, this can hinder her dating life: one-night stands are awkward enough without almost drowning your date.

While many argued that men and women enjoy the sight of female ejaculation, either because it evokes a sense of accomplishment or it’s just pleasing to the eye, partners should still discuss this matter prior to intercourse due to its surprising and messy nature. This awkward conversation over dinner or within Tinder’s inbox makes some women weary.

The myth surrounding female ejaculation also stems from the stigma rendered by porn depiction of this phenomenon. Women who had this experience during sex, as portrayed by porn, are usually oversexualized and reduced to a hat trick, which is both untrue and unjust.

In order to unravel the myth, we need to find out what the fluid really contains. According to Men’s Health Magazine, a research team in France used ultrasound technology to examine the fluid and the organs in the woman’s body and found that most of it is actually urine.

Okay, don’t get grossed out yet. Although most of the time urine may appear in the fluid due to a loss of bladder control, Dr. Florian Wimpissinger M.D. claims that fewer than 10 percent of women expel something more similar to the fluids that a man ejaculates during his orgasm.

The “New Scientist” also presented a research that shows the fluid does originate in the bladder and is expelled from the urethra, but it consists of more than just urine even after the woman urinates. So, before anyone gets too stressed, there’s still a chance it isn’t urine and it’s something much, much cooler. There is a side note, though: Most of the female ejaculation in porn is actually almost 100 percent urine. Many porn stars known for their ejaculation have come forward and protested that it is a skill and a talent much like anything else; but just like wrestling, porn is not known for its realism and accuracy.

Regardless of whether it’s urine or not, the real questions are who can do it, why is it happening to only some women and if this depends on your partner’s performance. Men’s Health Magazine argues that it has a lot more to do with the g-spot (whose existence people still argue over) stimulation, but research on this matter is still hazy.

According to Invitra, a website dedicated to the IVF community, female ejaculation comes from stimulation of the skene’s gland, also known as the female prostate. There are arguments on whether the skene’s gland, much similar to the g-spot, exists, and if so, whether all women have it. Invitra seems to believe that all women can ejaculate, and being in tune with one’s body comes into play as the most important factor in achieving this experience.

Women should comfortably experiment and get to know all the parts of their body including their sex organs. Even if you don’t plan on being physical with anyone for an extended period of time, it’s nice to be prepared if nothing else. Or maybe you simply want to figure out how much is actually urine, because the people want to know! The recent increase in social openness towards sexual exploration has enabled more discussion and even scientific research into this matter, and hopefully we will have an answer soon.

Whatever the science behind female ejaculation is, if a woman and her partner are interested, they should look for research on the g-spot and the skene’s gland. Go find out where it’s located and how we can all get there. To any partner who gets caught in the line of fire, calmly change your sheets and take it as a compliment; she’s probably more embarrassed than you.

Remember that human bodies are weird and complex, and half the time our bodies do what they please rather than what we want them to. Although porn isn’t real, some of the things seen in these videos do happen in real life. Try not to reduce any female to what her vagina is and isn’t capable of. If there is nothing else to be taken away from this article, at least remember a woman is a human, not a super soaker.

Brandi Loving, St. Mary's University

Brandi Loving

St. Mary's University