Culture

Responsive image
Sounds x

The young singer songwriter dropped her first single during the pandemic and its sound masterfully reflects its contemplative lyrical content.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The novel’s heartbreaking exploration of divorce and loss allows its exquisite friendships and familial connections to take center stage.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

At just 20 years old, the singer-songwriter passionately weaves lyrics about teenage romance and heartbreak into her debut EP.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In her new book, Brit Bennett dissects extremely relevant issues with memorable characters and excellent storytelling.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The new Spotify exclusive podcast allows longtime viewers of the beloved program to explore the decisions and stories that made the show a work of genius.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Have you always wanted to start a journal, but didn’t know where to begin? Try one of these simple techniques to get started on your daily journaling journey.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Scott O’Connor has a unique and fearless writing style that will immerse you in the novel and make you feel like you’re part of the story.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Playlists are king on the streaming platform. These five users take their playlist curation to the next level.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

How has a game — once looked down upon and talked of in such negative light — garnered so much attention in recent years? Listening to people having fun playing the game certainly helped.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

Even though I became obsessed with the theatrical masterpiece four years after everyone else, there are some upsides to experiencing the musical in 2020.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The posthumously released album serves as both an incredible tribute to the talent of the late rapper and an inside look at the artist’s inner turmoil.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Victor LaValle’s story blends fantastical elements with the very real issues of racism and violence, all against the backdrop of the urban landscape.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

From poor advertising to musical sets that were too short, the virtual festival left many fans confused and disappointed.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

In her new podcast, the former first lady is speaking with her friends and family on a wide range of interesting and empowering topics.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The new book written by Donald’s niece exhumes decades of corruption and greed in the Trump empire, even before her uncle entered the White House.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The singer’s latest album, an unexpected surprise from isolation, is an ode to storytelling with empathetic lyrics and mystical sounds.

By

Responsive image
Sounds /// Thoughts x

The popular singers’ recent behavior on social media has fans concerned that she is being manipulated by a controlling conservatorship.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The EP channels anxieties toward a bleak reality, employing the upbeat nature of indie-pop alongside feelings of loss, emptiness and the desire to escape.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

All of the concerts in the NPR Music series are great, but these six are guaranteed to get you moving and grooving.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

People who share protagonists’ identities shouldn’t only author books. Their feedback can vastly improve how books represent marginalized groups.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Before Elvis ever took the stage, this woman was combining gospel, blues and jazz to pioneer the genre we all know today.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

On their latest album, the band embraces the complexities of divorce and heartbreak with a radical vulnerability that enchants every listener.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The open letter against ‘cancel culture’ was mostly signed by people with enormous influence — those who least need to worry about ‘cancellation.’

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Rather than indulge in empty symbolism and stale motives, Swift’s eighth album reminds listeners why they fell in love with her work back in the early 2000s.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The album was leaked just days before its planned release, but this PR disaster paved the way for other big-name artists to turn out early releases.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The psychological realism of Laura van den Berg’s second book parallels the isolation many are feeling during the pandemic.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

‘Songs for Carmella: Lullabies and Sing-Alongs’ challenges societal expectations of the role of women in the workplace and at home.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

After receiving harsh criticism from her colleagues, the former columnist speaks of the grim consequences for people that go against the grain.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In her new book, Samantha Mabry shows readers that vulnerability and independence are not mutually exclusive.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens /// Thoughts x

Instead of villainizing technology just because it’s trendy, Cal Newport makes a compelling case for satisfaction that runs deeper than pings and pixels.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In her memoir, Carmen Maria Machado documents her experiences in an abusive queer relationship, telling a story that often goes untold.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

100 gecs’ latest release is a remix album that features artists like Charlie XCX, Fall Out Boy and Kero Kero Bonito.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The podcast takes a conspiracy theory seriously to reveal how the CIA has influenced art in the past — and could very well still be doing so.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Hosts Ashley Flowers and Brit Prawat not only recount compelling tales of heinous crimes, but offer important advice for staying alive.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The musician pairs the melancholy with the joyful aspects of life, creating a balance of carefree nostalgia.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Will the real Lady A please stand up? Lady Antebellum renamed themselves to shed racist connotations, but didn’t realize their chosen moniker was taken.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Whether they’re playing D&D or giving terrible (but funny!) advice, these five on-going series remind us how important sharing a laugh with our family members can be.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

The concept provides an artistic and powerful way to engage in social change by coaxing our imagination to connect us to the voices of the past.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

Now more than ever, people are calling on brands to step up. The culture magazine took another step in the right direction by having Dario Calmese shoot their cover.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

You know who Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley are, so now it’s time to learn about the artists behind some of their greatest hits, Charles Singleton and Rose Marie McCoy.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

Like any piece of historical fiction, the musical takes some artistic license, but fans are now wondering if the show has gone too far.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

This calmer style of electronic music is the genre’s answer to the heavy bass and loud synths of EDM.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Even before the pandemic, connecting with others was never easy. Here are stories stressing the complexity and worthiness of human interaction in all kinds of situations and relationships.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Creating your own show might sound daunting, but it can be a simple process if you follow these suggestions.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The artist’s simple rhythms, addictive melodies and evocative lyrics have converged into a masterful EP that demonstrates his songwriting and production genius.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

With videos ranging from book reviews to bookshelf tours to group reads, this online community is more than just a virtual book club.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The musician’s latest release is apathy in musical form, and not in a good way.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

If you’re into electronic dance music, you know artists like Calvin Harris and Flume. But do you know the names of the vocalists featured in their songs?

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

The philosopher’s theories of the ‘studium’ and the ‘punctum’ explains why we prefer certain creative works over others.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

There’s no shame in dropping a book that you have no desire to read.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

Queen Bey is back with a new visual album that aims to uplift Black culture, but not everyone is excited about it.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Want to get even more from your reading experience? Let your ears in on the fun.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

Khalil Gibran Muhammad’s exploration of African Americans during the Progressive Era unveils the prejudice behind evidence of Black criminality.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Check out Politico’s podcast to hear diverse and empowering messages from women in business and politics.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Whether you want to be a prestigious journalist or write the next bestselling fantasy novel, these tips will help you build a following.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Asexuality and aromanticism are seemingly impossible to find in mainstream pop culture, but what if we look beyond the labels?

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Whether your goal is to cut back on wasted screen time, increase your cultural knowledge, or learn self-patience, this app is a necessity.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Using beautiful melodies, catchy beats and lyrics that stick with you, this music reflects the struggles of these tumultuous times.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

This exercise is one of the best ways to help authors overcome feeling stuck. Following certain guidelines of the practice will ensure success.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

With virtual music festivals and concerts on the rise, these up-and-comers are starting to gain traction as fans tune in to their livestreams.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The self-proclaimed ‘one man boy band’ has kept busy by making music and advocating for mental health amidst the global pandemic.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

In her book ‘Sweet Remedies,’ herbalist and apothecary Dawn Combs spills the beans on honey-based drinks and confectionery.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The famous country singer, who has been called the Great Unifier, has a diverse group of fans because of her all-encompassing love for humanity.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

‘Such a Fun Age’ and ‘Little Fires Everywhere’ illustrate that just avoiding overt racism isn’t enough to combat white supremacy on a systemic level.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

On her commanding second album, the 25-year-old singer-songwriter writes about the fears that come with depression and a life of touring.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Ryan Tedder’s band has been releasing versatile hits for nearly two decades, but they still remain under the radar.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The graphic novel by Raina Telgemeier captures the struggle of being diagnosed — and living with — a chronic illness.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

It is more important than ever to remember the teachings of renowned Black feminist scholar as we consider empathy in our own communities.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Amy Poehler, Hope Jahren and James Comey reveal that although success seems bright and shiny from the outside, the journey there is often bumpy.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Though Robin DiAngelo’s book clearly comes from a well-meaning place, does the book undermine the possibility for working-class solidarity across races?

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The Washington D.C. trio puts catchy piano melodies at the center of their sound, and wears their love of Queen on their sleeves.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

So, you want to make music? The first steps don’t have to be hard or pricey when you know where to start.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

So-called ‘portal fantasy’ reveals the awe, fear and transformative power of traveling to another world — one that might be appealing in our present dystopia.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Just because the author has revealed her transphobia doesn’t mean fans have to completely abandon the the franchise. Instead, they can reclaim it.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The Minneapolis-born country-folk artist uses his music to create narratives worth sharing.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Alan Moore’s comics explored a character’s psyche that continues to resonate with contemporary politics, albeit for the wrong reasons.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The ‘Divergent’ author’s newest novel revitalizes the tired ‘chosen one’ trope by weaving a compelling narrative about what happens to heroes after saving the world.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Whether it’s with their happy music or their inspiring lyrics, these songs will help keep you afloat through all of life’s stresses.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

They are often essential community institutions, and their continued survival during the pandemic is now more important than ever.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In light of the chaos coming out of Washington D.C. today, this book is the perfect read to cure your woes.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Susan Choi’s novel defies conventional wisdom about fiction and intentionally creates characters that are hard to relate to — making a unique, compelling read in the process.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Saeed Jones’ memoir is an honest and striking coming-of-age story about the Black queer experience and fighting to become yourself.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The video-sharing app uses a variety of different types of sounds and phrases, but just where exactly did these catchy snippets come from?

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

The Hulu miniseries uses everyday scenes to take on an all too persistent problem in the fight for racial equality.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Beth O’Leary’s debut novel, which features a very unusual living arrangement, makes the case for the genre as possessing real emotional depth.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Whether you’re strapped for time, want to learn more about the environment or have the need to comprehend how the mind works, there’s something for you.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Julie Berry mixes the gods of Ancient Greece with romance and World War I, all in a novel that portrays the violence of white supremacy. 

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In this memoir, the comedian uses his personal experiences in South Africa and the U.S. to outline the fundamental irrationality behind racism — and why it continues to flourish.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Almost everything magical in the fantasy series relies on the use of animals in some shape or form. Is it even possible for a vegan to live in this world, and would they even want to?

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens /// Sounds /// Thoughts x

American pop culture has been defined by black excellence for decades. From Gordon Parks to Aaliyah, black artists continue to influence the new generation.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

The Mason family left an imprint on the West Hollywood queer scene with their shop. Years later, members of the community talk of its unwavering relevance.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Whether overtly political like Rachel Cargle’s ‘Revolution Playlist,’ or just something you made for a friend, playlists can function as spaces to heal, resist and connect.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

During times like these, creatives have way too much time on their hands. One result: killer web comics with deadly serious undertones.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Once a cherished author, the ‘Harry Potter’ writer has fallen from grace due to her continued ignorance regarding trans and other members of the queer community.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

For fans who just finished the series, leaving the world they’ve come to love just isn’t an option. Fortunately, they don’t have to.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Written on a prison typewriter, the novel tells the story of a young man who falls in love, joins the war and robs banks to pay for heroin  — a tale not unlike the author’s own life.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Acting as an anthem for protests around the world, the rap duo’s latest album is far from the first time the group has encouraged social change.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

At first glance, ‘The Hunger Games’ prequel has flat characters and a dull Hunger Games. However, is Suzanne Collins just challenging readers to reflect on how they view violence in entertainment?

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

While country music has grown overproduced and glamorous, this young, gritty musician embodies the traditions that built the genre.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Eric Cervini’s historical opus describes how homophobia within American law enforcement bears a striking resemblance to racist policing practices.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

Pages x

Responsive image
Pages x

Responsive image
Sounds x

Responsive image
Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

This wildly popular, binge-worthy web comic takes the myth of Hades and Persephone and sticks it into today’s world.

Responsive Image

Throughout Perfume Genius’ latest album, Mike Hadreas embraces emotional excess and channels it into one of the best indie pop efforts of the year.

Responsive Image

All good things must come to an end. By constantly amending their works, authors like J.K. Rowling risk ruining their books — and stunting the growth of young fan fiction writers.

Responsive Image

In attempts to combat the lack of diversity, writers from non-marginalized communities often miss the mark when writing about groups they don’t identify with.

Responsive Image

With her new album, many listeners had hoped the artist would create music that cemented her genius. Instead, fans were left underwhelmed.

Responsive Image

Suzanne Collins’ new prequel to the ‘Hunger Games’ trilogy investigates the origins of the series’s central villain, President Snow, without justifying his hunger for power.

Responsive Image

Virtual concerts are proving popular as major players in the musical world work hard to find new ways to engage their fans despite the need for social distancing.

Responsive Image

As June begins and protests over racial injustice continue, it’s important to make space for queer black literature.

Responsive Image

One of the most visionary acts in electronic music is back with a new release that renews and alters elements of their previous work.

Responsive Image

Boasting poetic lyrics and lighter melodies, the Brooklyn native’s latest album is a concept record exploring what it means to have everything.

Responsive Image

The acclaimed novelist writes that, much like writing, running requires deliberate practice, even when you don’t feel completely passionate about it.

Responsive Image

The actor and musician’s fourth studio album shows just how much he has matured both musically and creatively throughout his career.

Responsive Image

Framed as a series of letters to her daughters, the star comedian uses her book to explore life experiences, inequality and her culture with her trademark vulgar hilarity.

Responsive Image

In a bold statement about the absurdity of the current music industry, this musical duo takes their sound to satirical extremes.

Responsive Image

Fans of Korean idols and idol groups are organizing around the world to crash alt-right Twitter hashtags and boost black activism on YouTube.

Responsive Image

Published in 2017, Paul Butler’s book equips supporters of Black Lives Matter with one more important resource to curb racism in law enforcement.

Responsive Image

Using the small publishing platform, the ‘After’ author was able to make a name for herself — and at the same time, raise the possibility that others could do the same.

Responsive Image

Some say that the release runs a little long, but its experimentation, as well as lyrics that are both sentimental and politically charged, make it something memorable.