Culture

Responsive image
Pages x

Even nearly 20 years later, this classic graphic novel from the author of ‘Persepolis’ stands up for women, not just in Iran, but worldwide.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Contemporary rhythm and blues has been one of the most prominent musical styles over the past few years — what are these global newcomers adding to the mix?

By

Responsive image
Pages x

From the intricacies of penguin poop to the origin of bellybutton lint, these works will answer questions you didn’t even think to ask.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The Canadian singer took the world by storm, and now with a newfound voice, she is determined to defeat the odds set upon her by the media.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

‘Men have called me mad but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence.’ — Edgar Allan Poe

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The single may have come out two years ago, but the song remains even more relevant today.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

The 6-year-old lead character of the long-running manga and anime not only investigates crimes, but the culture of his native land as well.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

After two decades and traversing multiple genres, the rock duo has stayed loyal to the musical tradition that got them started.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

If you don’t think you have the time to read the longer classics, these shorter fiction works that span a wide range of genres will help you on your literary journey. 

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Set against the backdrop of Malaysia’s infamous 1969 race riots, this young adult novel and webtoon deals with the horrors of prejudice and trauma.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The latest iteration of the long-running reality show franchise mixes song and romance.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

There’s so many approaches that you can take; the important thing is to do what feels right to you. 

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Whether he’s playing drums in Dead Weather or fronting his own White Stripes, the storied musician retains his own undeniable sound. 

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The legendary author identified the pain all around us, but still found reasons to be optimistic about the human spirit.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The rapper and comedian, real name Dave Burd, opens up on his autobiographical FXX television show.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The British singer remained mysterious and kept his fans engaged while he hinted at his music video drop.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Twenty years after the film adaptation of his novel ‘American Psycho,’ the author maintains his status as someone with an honest artistic vision.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The Lorrie Moore short story, told in second person, is a powerful statement about not giving up on your ambitions.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Set against the context of the #MeToo movement, the debut novel of Kate Elizabeth Russell probes into the interactions between a predatory man and his teenage student.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

During stressful times like these, it’s reassuring to return to old, beloved stories instead of forging into the new and unknown.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Against the backdrop of a small Texas town, Elizabeth Wetmore’s novel is a gritty depiction of a violent, patriarchal society.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The band has managed to create a unique sound and aesthetic with every new album, leaving many wondering what else they might have in store.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

It’s Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, so why not read about the importance of loving and accepting our identities?

By

Responsive image
Pages x

What is it exactly that gets lost in the void between the page and the screen — and why do fans of the book get so mad about it?

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The K-pop group’s loyal fan base, known as the BTS ARMY, has run into some pushback in their quest to pump up views on platforms like YouTube.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

They might not be getting big movie or TV adaptations, but they might just become your new favorites.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The heartwarming young adult novel follows an Asian American teenager caught between the culture of the United States and her parents’ homeland.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

With British, Spanish and Korean members, the UK band has people everywhere divided on what it means to be a K-pop group.

By

Responsive image
Culture x

Make sure you prepare and go with a partner, and there will be no limit to what you might find.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Writing a poem can be a terrifying process. Here are some tips to make the journey easier.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The Florida rapper joins Billie Eilish and Lil Nas X as the latest artist accused of having a manufactured stardom. Are we too quick to affix the label of inauthenticity to popular musicians?

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The lo-fi artist’s extended play is unapologetically emotional and honest, providing an exploration of what it means to move on from heartache.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

It’s perfectly normal to feel confused as you fully enter adulthood. This book by Dr. Meg Jay shows some ways to attain clarity and direction.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The genre gets a bad rap, but those willing to dig deeper will find some clever ways of composing tight, compelling stories.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The band’s latest album is their first full-length in seven years, and depending on who you ask, it’s either a derivative retread or a much-need return to the sounds of the 2000s.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Polished lesson plans and real-world examples from the prestigious paper of record will give anyone the skills they need to become better at writing.

By

Responsive image
Culture x

The fungi’s had a long journey from being a part of religious ceremonies to something to take while watching trippy movies in your dorm room.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The versatile musician has moved beyond her ‘Whip My Hair’ days, and she deserves a lot more recognition.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The Batman universe courts controversy with its fandom by turning the original Robin/Nightwing into an edgy bad boy with amnesia.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The zine released by the Asian American Feminist Collective offers a communal response to the emerging anti-Asian xenophobia in the wake of COVID-19.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

These two California twins draw from a huge range of influences to make a sound that may not be commercial, but remains true to their artistic vision.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

It’s not just festival cancellations that hurt. As COVID-19 continues to spread, the future of the business is starting to get dark.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The trailblazing style of the late guitar player can be seen in both blues and rock ‘n’ roll, including in artists like the Black Keys.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Once made up of musicians recording songs at home, the style is now infiltrating the mainstream.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The musician’s latest release, ‘Fetch the Bolt Cutters,’ fights against perfection but still gets a rare 10.0 review from the long-running music site.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The magazine has been a shadow of its former self for years. Will it be able to keep up in the online publishing world?

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Because of the web, aspiring producers and musicians can go from making beats in their bedroom to featuring on tracks by big name artists.

By

Responsive image
Sounds /// Thoughts x

Everything from just making sounds to the actual process of practicing can be life-changing.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The Korean American rap duo’s latest music video comments on the surge in xenophobia directed at Asian Americans in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The electronic artist’s latest record draws on personal experiences and mixes a wide range of genres to create something mesmerizing and boldly experimental.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

You already have all the magic you need inside.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

When there’s nothing better to do, journaling could be the perfect way to pass time and release your inner anxieties.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

It’s been decades since the Mexican American singer was tragically killed, but her cultural impact lives on in many ways.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The former contestant on ‘The Voice’ is making parodies that we can all relate to while we’re under lockdown.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The title track begins, ‘You want a timeless song, I want to change the game.’ Over the course of 11 tracks, the British pop star accomplishes her goal.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The song is blowing up all over social media, but as a piece of music, it doesn’t have much going for it.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

A good story has no targeted age group, and punchy, coming-of-age narratives can appeal to anybody.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

In a time when it seems impossible to stay sane because self-isolation, music is one of the best things to help us through.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Hailing from Australia, this teenager is carrying on the legacy of his former mentor, Juice WRLD.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Fan fiction is adding a few more dimensions to a character many felt was left underdeveloped.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The Chicago-based music video director and his homemade, low-budget aesthetic is in high-demand among SoundCloud rappers.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Events that are months away are being canceled because of COVID-19, but many artists are stepping up to give fans something in return.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

It’s time to go on another angsty adventure with the prolific young adult author.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

There’s still so much to say about these beloved books and the impact they have had on an entire generation of readers.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

These musical numbers, which have little relevance to the plot, can be fun, but ultimately perpetuate debilitating social roles for women.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Her turn toward social commentary  has received praise, but every artist should be taking on these issues — and many already do.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

His work ‘The Taste of Cigarettes’ demonstrates that writing is borne of personal toil — whatever form that may take.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Poetry isn’t just written down. Some poets are evolving the genre by using their voices as their medium.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

While the world has lauded the country for K-beauty, this webtoon shows the dark side of South Korean beauty standards.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

On their latest album, the K-pop superstars blend genres as they explore growing pains and the dark side of high ambitions.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Calling all music and art lovers — you won’t want to miss out on these six gatherings for the upcoming season.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Whether you think the genre is long gone or still thriving, it continues to influence artists like Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande and Tyler, the Creator.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Just because the King of Pop is gone doesn’t mean he isn’t still making serious money.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The singer-songwriter dives deep into life, post-breakup, and gives her listeners the authentic healing she discovered.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Despite its endorsement from Oprah, Jeanine Cummins’ book about the life of a Mexican woman is having a damaging impact on minorities.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The Chinese web novel finds its strong female lead getting an opportunity to start life over as a teenager, and avenging the betrayal that ended her life.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Both shows are based on beloved fantasy books, but are they comparable?

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

In spite of an overly-loose concept, the album immerses listeners into a world of aggressive electronic beats and ethereal vocals.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Back in 2018, the singer-rapper asked you, ‘Got milk, b–ch? Got beef?’ Now, the ‘70s disco queen wants to know, ‘Why don’t you say so?’

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Many of us remember the viral sensation. What most don’t know are the consequences of this teenager’s overnight infamy.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The storied and often dangerous life of the Latin American author helped create stories that spoke to isolation and dislocation.

By

Responsive image
Sounds /// Thoughts x

They say it’s not good to keep it bottled up, but is letting it out doing more harm than good?

By

Responsive image
Pages x

We stan the biromantic, asexual woman of color protagonist in Claire Kann’s new novel.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Autumn De Wilde’s film may not be entirely true to the book, but it still captures the essence of the author’s work.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

While its simple style has received praise for its accessibility, there are a few that can satisfy readers who want more.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

After a year off, the indie rock band will once again headline their own fest in their hometown of Cincinnati.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The 22-year old EDM artist is making waves by bringing the traditional and the modern together on intoxicating tracks.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

It’s not only a whole new world of literature, but what’s better than something that’s free and accessible at any time during the day?

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Why is the murdering main character of the Netflix show garnering so much sympathy?

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

She entered the spotlight in 2013 but has since taken a break from the public eye. Is the New Zealand singer about to make a comeback?

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Even though the service has been pushed out of the limelight by Spotify for the time being, the platform’s versatility allows users to find plenty of hidden gems.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The scandal involving the 16-year-old rapper and a shady watch company doesn’t seem to be getting any attention.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Writing is — and should be — really hard and really frustrating. Otherwise, you’re not doing it right.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The self-awareness of a new generation is propelling this internet-age style of music into the mainstream.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

These two powerhouses have challenged what it means to be a girl group in South Korea.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Diversity can be hard to find in the accepted literary canon, but literature is full of LGBTQ+ representation if you know where to look.

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

It’s easy to romanticize Taylor Swift’s extremely successful life. What many of us fail to remember is that it can be hard to be famous.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Sounds x

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Responsive image
Sounds x

Responsive image
Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

We’re clearly not okay (in a good way).

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Not every love story has a satisfying end.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

K-pop and K-dramas might be expanding America’s cultural horizons, but does it come at a price?

Responsive Image

Many of these books are criticized for their unrealistic portrayal of the world; however, that may be their greatest strength.

Responsive Image

Music is often categorized into rigid genres but here are some artists who are crafting distinctive styles.

Responsive Image

The author who can do it all is telling the stories of humanity — and rating each of them on a five-star scale.

Responsive Image

While reigniting interest in poetry, ‘Instagram poets’ like Rupi Kaur and Amanda Lovelace still face their share of criticism.

Responsive Image

The outspoken critic of the country music industry has returned with an experimental tour de force of an album.

Responsive Image

With digital media on the rise, it is no surprise that there are more options than ever out there for manga fans to get their fix anytime.

Responsive Image

With so many unique music options out there, it can be a life changing experience to add some international love to your playlist.

Responsive Image

The musician’s accessible tunes belie an artist bent on showcasing a real rock ‘n’ roll energy and confronting gender roles and heteronormativity.

Responsive Image

The rich diversity of Korean music isn’t limited to the country’s most popular musical export.

Responsive Image

Although plenty of time has passed since they were first released, literary classics have much to offer.

Responsive Image

Even with a new sound, the Irish musician continues to use poetic lyrics and a masterful blending of rock, pop and electronic music to connect with audiences.

Responsive Image

The past four years have not been easy for the pop star, but she’s back in the music world and she’s making her mark.

Responsive Image

The social media platform, which seems engineered for virality, is displacing streaming services like Spotify when it comes to finding new songs and artists.

Responsive Image

Her new single finds the country singer caught between her Tennessee home and the fast-paced life of Los Angeles.

Responsive Image

Forget Taylor Swift. The real artist of the decade was Hannah Montana.

Responsive Image

These two have been working hard for their whole careers. It’s time to see them work together.

Responsive Image

A seemingly ambitious project, the series falls prey to poor execution and hollow characterization.