Culture

Responsive image
Sounds x

Ryan Tedder’s band has been releasing versatile hits for nearly two decades, but they still remain under the radar.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

It is more important than ever to remember the teachings of renowned Black feminist scholar as we consider empathy in our own communities.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The graphic novel by Raina Telgemeier captures the struggle of being diagnosed — and living with — a chronic illness.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Amy Poehler, Hope Jahren and James Comey reveal that although success seems bright and shiny from the outside, the journey there is often bumpy.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Though Robin DiAngelo’s book clearly comes from a well-meaning place, does the book undermine the possibility for working-class solidarity across races?

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The Washington D.C. trio puts catchy piano melodies at the center of their sound, and wears their love of Queen on their sleeves.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

So, you want to make music? The first steps don’t have to be hard or pricey when you know where to start.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

So-called ‘portal fantasy’ reveals the awe, fear and transformative power of traveling to another world — one that might be appealing in our present dystopia.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Just because the author has revealed her transphobia doesn’t mean fans have to completely abandon the the franchise. Instead, they can reclaim it.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The Minneapolis-born country-folk artist uses his music to create narratives worth sharing.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Alan Moore’s comics explored a character’s psyche that continues to resonate with contemporary politics, albeit for the wrong reasons.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The ‘Divergent’ author’s newest novel revitalizes the tired ‘chosen one’ trope by weaving a compelling narrative about what happens to heroes after saving the world.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Whether it’s with their happy music or their inspiring lyrics, these songs will help keep you afloat through all of life’s stresses.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

They are often essential community institutions, and their continued survival during the pandemic is now more important than ever.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In light of the chaos coming out of Washington D.C. today, this book is the perfect read to cure your woes.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Susan Choi’s novel defies conventional wisdom about fiction and intentionally creates characters that are hard to relate to — making a unique, compelling read in the process.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Saeed Jones’ memoir is an honest and striking coming-of-age story about the Black queer experience and fighting to become yourself.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The video-sharing app uses a variety of different types of sounds and phrases, but just where exactly did these catchy snippets come from?

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

The Hulu miniseries uses everyday scenes to take on an all too persistent problem in the fight for racial equality.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Beth O’Leary’s debut novel, which features a very unusual living arrangement, makes the case for the genre as possessing real emotional depth.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Whether you’re strapped for time, want to learn more about the environment or have the need to comprehend how the mind works, there’s something for you.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Julie Berry mixes the gods of Ancient Greece with romance and World War I, all in a novel that portrays the violence of white supremacy. 

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In this memoir, the comedian uses his personal experiences in South Africa and the U.S. to outline the fundamental irrationality behind racism — and why it continues to flourish.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Almost everything magical in the fantasy series relies on the use of animals in some shape or form. Is it even possible for a vegan to live in this world, and would they even want to?

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens /// Sounds /// Thoughts x

American pop culture has been defined by black excellence for decades. From Gordon Parks to Aaliyah, black artists continue to influence the new generation.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

The Mason family left an imprint on the West Hollywood queer scene with their shop. Years later, members of the community talk of its unwavering relevance.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Whether overtly political like Rachel Cargle’s ‘Revolution Playlist,’ or just something you made for a friend, playlists can function as spaces to heal, resist and connect.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

During times like these, creatives have way too much time on their hands. One result: killer web comics with deadly serious undertones.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Once a cherished author, the ‘Harry Potter’ writer has fallen from grace due to her continued ignorance regarding trans and other members of the queer community.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

For fans who just finished the series, leaving the world they’ve come to love just isn’t an option. Fortunately, they don’t have to.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Written on a prison typewriter, the novel tells the story of a young man who falls in love, joins the war and robs banks to pay for heroin  — a tale not unlike the author’s own life.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Acting as an anthem for protests around the world, the rap duo’s latest album is far from the first time the group has encouraged social change.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

At first glance, ‘The Hunger Games’ prequel has flat characters and a dull Hunger Games. However, is Suzanne Collins just challenging readers to reflect on how they view violence in entertainment?

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

While country music has grown overproduced and glamorous, this young, gritty musician embodies the traditions that built the genre.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Eric Cervini’s historical opus describes how homophobia within American law enforcement bears a striking resemblance to racist policing practices.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

This wildly popular, binge-worthy web comic takes the myth of Hades and Persephone and sticks it into today’s world.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Throughout Perfume Genius’ latest album, Mike Hadreas embraces emotional excess and channels it into one of the best indie pop efforts of the year.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

All good things must come to an end. By constantly amending their works, authors like J.K. Rowling risk ruining their books — and stunting the growth of young fan fiction writers.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

In attempts to combat the lack of diversity, writers from non-marginalized communities often miss the mark when writing about groups they don’t identify with.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

With her new album, many listeners had hoped the artist would create music that cemented her genius. Instead, fans were left underwhelmed.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Suzanne Collins’ new prequel to the ‘Hunger Games’ trilogy investigates the origins of the series’s central villain, President Snow, without justifying his hunger for power.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Virtual concerts are proving popular as major players in the musical world work hard to find new ways to engage their fans despite the need for social distancing.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

As June begins and protests over racial injustice continue, it’s important to make space for queer black literature.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

One of the most visionary acts in electronic music is back with a new release that renews and alters elements of their previous work.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Boasting poetic lyrics and lighter melodies, the Brooklyn native’s latest album is a concept record exploring what it means to have everything.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The acclaimed novelist writes that, much like writing, running requires deliberate practice, even when you don’t feel completely passionate about it.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The actor and musician’s fourth studio album shows just how much he has matured both musically and creatively throughout his career.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Framed as a series of letters to her daughters, the star comedian uses her book to explore life experiences, inequality and her culture with her trademark vulgar hilarity.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

In a bold statement about the absurdity of the current music industry, this musical duo takes their sound to satirical extremes.

By

Responsive image
Sounds /// Thoughts x

Fans of Korean idols and idol groups are organizing around the world to crash alt-right Twitter hashtags and boost black activism on YouTube.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Published in 2017, Paul Butler’s book equips supporters of Black Lives Matter with one more important resource to curb racism in law enforcement.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Using the small publishing platform, the ‘After’ author was able to make a name for herself — and at the same time, raise the possibility that others could do the same.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Some say that the release runs a little long, but its experimentation, as well as lyrics that are both sentimental and politically charged, make it something memorable.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Hailing from the U.K., the band mixes hip-hop, jazz, indie rock, pop and ambient house — and they haven’t let quarantine dampen their prospects.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Although the stories of Greek gods and goddesses may originate from thousands of years ago, the lessons they give to us still resonate today.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The up-and-coming artist shares her distinctive voice and style with her livestreamed performances and new EP, ‘Otherside.’

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Even nearly 20 years later, this classic graphic novel from the author of ‘Persepolis’ stands up for women, not just in Iran, but worldwide.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Contemporary rhythm and blues has been one of the most prominent musical styles over the past few years — what are these global newcomers adding to the mix?

By

Responsive image
Pages x

From the intricacies of penguin poop to the origin of bellybutton lint, these works will answer questions you didn’t even think to ask.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The Canadian singer took the world by storm, and now with a newfound voice, she is determined to defeat the odds set upon her by the media.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

‘Men have called me mad but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence.’ — Edgar Allan Poe

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The single may have come out two years ago, but the song remains even more relevant today.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

The 6-year-old lead character of the long-running manga and anime not only investigates crimes, but the culture of his native land as well.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

After two decades and traversing multiple genres, the rock duo has stayed loyal to the musical tradition that got them started.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

If you don’t think you have the time to read the longer classics, these shorter fiction works that span a wide range of genres will help you on your literary journey. 

By

Responsive image
Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Set against the backdrop of Malaysia’s infamous 1969 race riots, this young adult novel and webtoon deals with the horrors of prejudice and trauma.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The latest iteration of the long-running reality show franchise mixes song and romance.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

There’s so many approaches that you can take; the important thing is to do what feels right to you. 

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

Whether he’s playing drums in Dead Weather or fronting his own White Stripes, the storied musician retains his own undeniable sound. 

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The legendary author identified the pain all around us, but still found reasons to be optimistic about the human spirit.

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The rapper and comedian, real name Dave Burd, opens up on his autobiographical FXX television show.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The British singer remained mysterious and kept his fans engaged while he hinted at his music video drop.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Twenty years after the film adaptation of his novel ‘American Psycho,’ the author maintains his status as someone with an honest artistic vision.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The Lorrie Moore short story, told in second person, is a powerful statement about not giving up on your ambitions.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Set against the context of the #MeToo movement, the debut novel of Kate Elizabeth Russell probes into the interactions between a predatory man and his teenage student.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

During stressful times like these, it’s reassuring to return to old, beloved stories instead of forging into the new and unknown.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Against the backdrop of a small Texas town, Elizabeth Wetmore’s novel is a gritty depiction of a violent, patriarchal society.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The band has managed to create a unique sound and aesthetic with every new album, leaving many wondering what else they might have in store.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

It’s Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, so why not read about the importance of loving and accepting our identities?

By

Responsive image
Pages x

What is it exactly that gets lost in the void between the page and the screen — and why do fans of the book get so mad about it?

By

Responsive image
Screens /// Sounds x

The K-pop group’s loyal fan base, known as the BTS ARMY, has run into some pushback in their quest to pump up views on platforms like YouTube.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

They might not be getting big movie or TV adaptations, but they might just become your new favorites.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The heartwarming young adult novel follows an Asian American teenager caught between the culture of the United States and her parents’ homeland.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

With British, Spanish and Korean members, the UK band has people everywhere divided on what it means to be a K-pop group.

By

Responsive image
Culture x

Make sure you prepare and go with a partner, and there will be no limit to what you might find.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Writing a poem can be a terrifying process. Here are some tips to make the journey easier.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The Florida rapper joins Billie Eilish and Lil Nas X as the latest artist accused of having a manufactured stardom. Are we too quick to affix the label of inauthenticity to popular musicians?

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The lo-fi artist’s extended play is unapologetically emotional and honest, providing an exploration of what it means to move on from heartache.

By

Responsive image
Pages /// Thoughts x

It’s perfectly normal to feel confused as you fully enter adulthood. This book by Dr. Meg Jay shows some ways to attain clarity and direction.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The genre gets a bad rap, but those willing to dig deeper will find some clever ways of composing tight, compelling stories.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The band’s latest album is their first full-length in seven years, and depending on who you ask, it’s either a derivative retread or a much-need return to the sounds of the 2000s.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Polished lesson plans and real-world examples from the prestigious paper of record will give anyone the skills they need to become better at writing.

By

Responsive image
Culture x

The fungi’s had a long journey from being a part of religious ceremonies to something to take while watching trippy movies in your dorm room.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The versatile musician has moved beyond her ‘Whip My Hair’ days, and she deserves a lot more recognition.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The Batman universe courts controversy with its fandom by turning the original Robin/Nightwing into an edgy bad boy with amnesia.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

The zine released by the Asian American Feminist Collective offers a communal response to the emerging anti-Asian xenophobia in the wake of COVID-19.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

These two California twins draw from a huge range of influences to make a sound that may not be commercial, but remains true to their artistic vision.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

It’s not just festival cancellations that hurt. As COVID-19 continues to spread, the future of the business is starting to get dark.

By

Responsive image
Sounds x

The trailblazing style of the late guitar player can be seen in both blues and rock ‘n’ roll, including in artists like the Black Keys.

By

Responsive image
Pages x

Sounds x

Responsive image
Sounds x

Responsive image
Pages /// Screens x

Responsive image
Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

It’s time people start taking the genre seriously.

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Responsive Image

Once made up of musicians recording songs at home, the style is now infiltrating the mainstream.

Responsive Image

The musician’s latest release, ‘Fetch the Bolt Cutters,’ fights against perfection but still gets a rare 10.0 review from the long-running music site.

Responsive Image

The magazine has been a shadow of its former self for years. Will it be able to keep up in the online publishing world?

Responsive Image

Because of the web, aspiring producers and musicians can go from making beats in their bedroom to featuring on tracks by big name artists.

Responsive Image

Everything from just making sounds to the actual process of practicing can be life-changing.

Responsive Image

The Korean American rap duo’s latest music video comments on the surge in xenophobia directed at Asian Americans in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Responsive Image

The electronic artist’s latest record draws on personal experiences and mixes a wide range of genres to create something mesmerizing and boldly experimental.

Responsive Image

You already have all the magic you need inside.

Responsive Image

When there’s nothing better to do, journaling could be the perfect way to pass time and release your inner anxieties.

Responsive Image

It’s been decades since the Mexican American singer was tragically killed, but her cultural impact lives on in many ways.

Responsive Image

The former contestant on ‘The Voice’ is making parodies that we can all relate to while we’re under lockdown.

Responsive Image

The title track begins, ‘You want a timeless song, I want to change the game.’ Over the course of 11 tracks, the British pop star accomplishes her goal.

Responsive Image

The song is blowing up all over social media, but as a piece of music, it doesn’t have much going for it.

Responsive Image

A good story has no targeted age group, and punchy, coming-of-age narratives can appeal to anybody.

Responsive Image

In a time when it seems impossible to stay sane because self-isolation, music is one of the best things to help us through.

Responsive Image

Hailing from Australia, this teenager is carrying on the legacy of his former mentor, Juice WRLD.

Responsive Image

Fan fiction is adding a few more dimensions to a character many felt was left underdeveloped.

Responsive Image

The Chicago-based music video director and his homemade, low-budget aesthetic is in high-demand among SoundCloud rappers.